Soo..Purina One..how bad is it?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
For some reason I thought Kirkland's was a store, oops. I think we might have a Costco around here. How decent is that food?

I don't plan on keeping her on this. I'll go through the bag and then I'll switch to something else. 8 lbs should last us several weeks..it filled up my little dog food container I keep in the kitchen and that lasts awhile.

Desertskybulldogs did a test on this food.called natures domain..think she said it would be a 3 or 4 star. She did a food test blog on it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is called pelican bay grain free. I would def recommend it to anyone who is on a tight budget!! The food trail was a bit iffy at first but after 4 weeks they are doing well on it. 3 out of 5 bullies that is! A bit of yeast is my only issue, but that could be because it is grain free and has potatoes in it. But the yeast issue is only on 1 of 3 dogs. I would certainly give this a try Lauren if you have access to Costco

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
petco carries merrick which makes a food called whole earth farms. Its not 5 star quality but it is good food for people on a budget. Petco also has a food called neutro ultra which is better than their other 2 brands. If you want purina one they make a food now called beyond in the yellow bag. it is better than their other brands and can be gotten almost anywhere. Tractor supply has a brand called 4health thats not to bad but it did give 2 of my mother in laws dogs tear stains. Just throwing some other brands out there. its up to you really and your not a bad parent at all. Ive fed mine pedigree before. You just do what you can.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
From what Ive heard/read, Nutro isn't any better than Purina..yet it costs more. Is this true or am I getting this information from a bad source?

I've never heard of Earth Farms. I'll look into it.

Ideally I want her back on the Fromm once I get some more money. Stupid work cutting my hours to the point where I can't afford my car and to take care of my dog properly. =/ i feel so bad.

I looked into it and there's no Costco around here, unfortunately. Does Farm and Fleet have any decent dog food for a cheaper price?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
From what Ive heard/read, Nutro isn't any better than Purina..yet it costs more. Is this true or am I getting this information from a bad source?

I've never heard of Earth Farms. I'll look into it.

Ideally I want her back on the Fromm once I get some more money. Stupid work cutting my hours to the point where I can't afford my car and to take care of my dog properly. =/ i feel so bad.

I looked into it and there's no Costco around here, unfortunately. Does Farm and Fleet have any decent dog food for a cheaper price?

I looked online for Farm and Fleet and they DO have their own food.... I could NOT find a list of ingredients so you may have to go to the store and compare the labels. And yes, it was a lot cheaper... about 20 bucks for 50 pounds.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=1790]Luvin My Bullie[/MENTION] around here, Avoderm is expensive. At least as expensive as Wellness.

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] I will have to look into that. I'm leary though because of the price. I've kind of started thinking that if it's cheap..it's not good. In most cases, it's true, unfortunately.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Well I looked and could not see anything at farm and fleet that is that good. I could not see the ingredients so dont know what is in their house brand of food so dont know about that. Nutro is not a good food but their ultra line is not bad and better than purina. just do what you can till things get better when it comes to bullys if they can eat it and not be allergic to it that is a good thing. Good luck.

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
Sometimes I wonder who no totally what your getting unless you make it yourself and why does it have to be so darn expensive.............

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I know my guys, Ace & Orion, weren't bullies but they did fantastic for 12 years on Purina Pro Plan. They were healthy and had beautiful shiny health coats. If Delilah does fine on it than don't worry. You need to do what you need to do. Maybe you can do Blue Buffalo or Wellness. Both are good foods too. Sure they're not Fromm but they're good.

If you start seeing changes in tear stains or her coat, you'll know you'll need to switch her to something else.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
How about Tractor Supply there line of 4Health is good mine love it. I feed the salmon and potatoes with the Irish setter on the bag. I did notice they have a NEW grain free line in a dark bag.

I get the big bag 35# and it last my 2 bullies about a month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I believe Lauren is doing raw now and loving it, this thread is very old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Well looks like I'm batting a 1000 today then. :laugh: I didn't even look at the date. :ashamed:

Hey your not the only one!!! :what:

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I believe Lauren is doing raw now and loving it, this thread is very old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Thanks for letting us know... Im just trying to catch up.. Lol

Members online

No members online now.