Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I have been feeding Delilah the Gold Fromm formula and I've been planning on switching her over to the Beef Fritatta (can't remember how to spell it) formula.

I don't have the money right now to order a big bag, and I don't want to order a little dinky bag that won't last very long.

We were at Petco and I just grabbed a small bag of something that was inexpensive because I'm so tight on money right now. I know, I know..bad of me and believe me I feel terrible.

I grabbed some Purina One stuff..just a little 8 lb bag. Delilah is..in LOVE with it. She normally is extremely picky about her kibble and will leave it sitting in her bowl all day before she eats any of it. But this stuff she just scarfs down. My only theory is that she's used to healthier stuff and it tastes healthy where as this stuff is more like her getting McDonald's or cake, lol. Crappy analogy but it's the only excuse I can come up with.

Is this food terrible?? Is it going to hurt her feeding this? I don't want to make her unhealthy. And I don't want her tear stains to get terrible from this food. So I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it and had experience with it. I'm really wondering if it'll make her tear stains terrible.

thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm certainly not the best one with the most..or any..knowledge..but I DO know its pretty much CRAP! I bet you can find a less expensive alternative than Purina..you know what I'm going to say next....ta da...GO TO THE FOOD RATINGS SECTION!! you will find one..i know!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
She will get her protein, but it has corn and soy as fillers. It probably will not hurt her unless she is alergic to these fillers, but as prone to allergies as our Bullies can be, keep a watch for any reactions. For the long term use, you have to consider the quality of protein, as these fillers are often used to boost the advertised protein levels, while providing a lesser quality cheaper source. Desertskybulldogs provided a nice explanation here English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Understanding Dog Food Labels and Finding Bad Ingredients

I would assume the fillers would not be good for eye stains, but I have not seen any particular reviews for this food to confirm this

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I feel terrible now. She was getting a 6 star food and now she's down to 1.

Almost everything the local pet stores carry is in the 1 category. Ugh..I've had her on Blue Buffalo and Wellness which are in the 5 and 6 categories but she decided she didn't like it anymore.

She actually likes this stuff and was starting to not want to eat the Fromm. I don't know what to do with her.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Dont feel bad! You did what I would have done in a situation where money is tight. So dont feel bad!!! Im guessing you are just doing this temporary. In that case I dont htink it will hurt her. As for she loving it, let me tell you that one time I sent my son to get Mocha her Natural balance and he came home with kibbles & Bits!! I had no food left so i had to give it to her and that little bugger loved it!! Dogs are funny, just like kids!!:heart:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Our local vets office carries Purina now and claims they've done a lot of research and greatly improved the quality. I don't know if PETCO carries the same stuff the vet does. Do you have access to COSTCO? Some of their Kirkland brand dog food has a 3 rating. Don't feel guilty, 6 star or 5 star doesn't matter if she won't eat it. Delilah is a great Bulldog and you are a great Bullie Mom!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awww[MENTION=1909]laurendoodler[/MENTION]...don't feel bad at all. You are a great mom to Delilah! We ALL just do the best we can. I was trying to encourage you to see if there was an alternative to the purina for about the same cost. No need to sweat the star rating! If a one star works for her..that's what is important! And there are plenty of bullies who probably would. We fed our dobies purina forever..but they could eat rocks and do ok! Besides..if she has a problem with it..then you can change and then you will know for sure! :hug:

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Thanks guys. :)

I just want what's best for her and I want her to be healthy. and I don't want her tear stains to get worse!

We don't have a Kirkland's..I haven't really heard of that. We have a Farm & Fleet, is that similar?

I'm somewhat tempted to go look at their dog food there..I know they have somewhat cheap dog supplies.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks guys. :)

I just want what's best for her and I want her to be healthy. and I don't want her tear stains to get worse!

We don't have a Kirkland's..I haven't really heard of that. We have a Farm & Fleet, is that similar?

I'm somewhat tempted to go look at their dog food there..I know they have somewhat cheap dog supplies.

Costco sells kirklands!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would try to maybe go with kirklands, the costco brand? That one is a good kinda budget one and better than purina. You have to figure dogs eat this crap all the time and live long healthy lives so it wont hurt your baby. You may see the diff tho in the fur, tear stains, allergies etc.

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
My breeder only feeds Purina One the lamb and rice formula. They have been doing it for years and it has worked well for them. I plan of feeding Brewer this when we get him. When I was at my breeders I did not notice any tear stains on any of their 6 dogs. My advice is to try it and if you get tears stains, thats really not the worst thing. You can get rid of tear stains.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
The protein sources in these foods are also low quality. It like feeding your kids happy meals everyday...sure they will like it, but its not healthy for them. You should feel bad but I would switch back as soon as possible.

[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] Vets also sell Hill's Science Diet, Eukenuba, and Iams....its still doesnt make it a good food.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I fed my adult bully's Jack and Dolly Purina One for 2-1/2 years with no problems, except the tear stain. The tear stain was a problem, but the coats were shiny as can be. The were healthy and the food was allot more inexpensive. I fed them the sensitive system formula, it is salmon based. Now I have five bullies and they are eating the Fromm, Beef Frittata like there is no tomorrow. I go through three 26 pound bags a month. I am going to try them on the Fromm pork and apple sauce formula, since you get more bang for your buck on that one. Heavier bags for less $.
When your friend loves what they are eating, you know they are getting joy from it. Don't feel too bad yet.

OP
laurendoodler

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
For some reason I thought Kirkland's was a store, oops. I think we might have a Costco around here. How decent is that food?

I don't plan on keeping her on this. I'll go through the bag and then I'll switch to something else. 8 lbs should last us several weeks..it filled up my little dog food container I keep in the kitchen and that lasts awhile.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.