Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Soo..Purina One..how bad is it?

The protein sources in these foods are also low quality. It like feeding your kids happy meals everyday...sure they will like it, but its not healthy for them. You should feel bad but I would switch back as soon as possible.

@Alice Kable Vets also sell Hill's Science Diet, Eukenuba, and Iams....its still doesnt make it a good food.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I fed my adult bully's Jack and Dolly Purina One for 2-1/2 years with no problems, except the tear stain. The tear stain was a problem, but the coats were shiny as can be. The were healthy and the food was allot more inexpensive. I fed them the sensitive system formula, it is salmon based. Now I have five bullies and they are eating the Fromm, Beef Frittata like there is no tomorrow. I go through three 26 pound bags a month. I am going to try them on the Fromm pork and apple sauce formula, since you get more bang for your buck on that one. Heavier bags for less $.
    When your friend loves what they are eating, you know they are getting joy from it. Don't feel too bad yet.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

For some reason I thought Kirkland's was a store, oops. I think we might have a Costco around here. How decent is that food?

I don't plan on keeping her on this. I'll go through the bag and then I'll switch to something else. 8 lbs should last us several weeks..it filled up my little dog food container I keep in the kitchen and that lasts awhile.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    For some reason I thought Kirkland's was a store, oops. I think we might have a Costco around here. How decent is that food?

I don't plan on keeping her on this. I'll go through the bag and then I'll switch to something else. 8 lbs should last us several weeks..it filled up my little dog food container I keep in the kitchen and that lasts awhile.
    Desertskybulldogs did a test on this food.called natures domain..think she said it would be a 3 or 4 star. She did a food test blog on it.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It is called pelican bay grain free. I would def recommend it to anyone who is on a tight budget!! The food trail was a bit iffy at first but after 4 weeks they are doing well on it. 3 out of 5 bullies that is! A bit of yeast is my only issue, but that could be because it is grain free and has potatoes in it. But the yeast issue is only on 1 of 3 dogs. I would certainly give this a try Lauren if you have access to Costco

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

petco carries merrick which makes a food called whole earth farms. Its not 5 star quality but it is good food for people on a budget. Petco also has a food called neutro ultra which is better than their other 2 brands. If you want purina one they make a food now called beyond in the yellow bag. it is better than their other brands and can be gotten almost anywhere. Tractor supply has a brand called 4health thats not to bad but it did give 2 of my mother in laws dogs tear stains. Just throwing some other brands out there. its up to you really and your not a bad parent at all. Ive fed mine pedigree before. You just do what you can.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

From what Ive heard/read, Nutro isn't any better than Purina..yet it costs more. Is this true or am I getting this information from a bad source?

I've never heard of Earth Farms. I'll look into it.

Ideally I want her back on the Fromm once I get some more money. Stupid work cutting my hours to the point where I can't afford my car and to take care of my dog properly. =/ i feel so bad.

I looked into it and there's no Costco around here, unfortunately. Does Farm and Fleet have any decent dog food for a cheaper price?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chaos
    Likes (Received)

what about avoderm? Its a decent food and atleast in alabama, it is around the same price as purina one.
    Bullies leave pawprints on our hearts furever <3

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by laurendoodler View Post
    From what Ive heard/read, Nutro isn't any better than Purina..yet it costs more. Is this true or am I getting this information from a bad source?

I've never heard of Earth Farms. I'll look into it.

Ideally I want her back on the Fromm once I get some more money. Stupid work cutting my hours to the point where I can't afford my car and to take care of my dog properly. =/ i feel so bad.

I looked into it and there's no Costco around here, unfortunately. Does Farm and Fleet have any decent dog food for a cheaper price?

I looked online for Farm and Fleet and they DO have their own food.... I could NOT find a list of ingredients so you may have to go to the store and compare the labels. And yes, it was a lot cheaper... about 20 bucks for 50 pounds.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

@Luvin My Bullie around here, Avoderm is expensive. At least as expensive as Wellness.

@BruceP I will have to look into that. I'm leary though because of the price. I've kind of started thinking that if it's cheap..it's not good. In most cases, it's true, unfortunately.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Well I looked and could not see anything at farm and fleet that is that good. I could not see the ingredients so dont know what is in their house brand of food so dont know about that. Nutro is not a good food but their ultra line is not bad and better than purina. just do what you can till things get better when it comes to bullys if they can eat it and not be allergic to it that is a good thing. Good luck.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Taser
    Likes (Received)

Sometimes I wonder who no totally what your getting unless you make it yourself and why does it have to be so darn expensive.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads