cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm referring to MY sweet tooth which I've sort of transferred over to Tate now.
I admit, I occasionally will give him a cookie, or the other day I made mini cheesecakes with Nila wafer crust and he loved those! Or the other night we went to the McD's drive thru and shared a vanilla ice crm cone. How bad is this for him? I'm only doing this like 1-2x/week at most. Of course I wouldn't want him to develop diabetes or tooth decay b/c of these treats but he just looks so darn happy when he's licking 'em up!
And do you know if dogs can become hyperactive w/too much sugar in their system? I noticed that he was a bit more awake and energetic on the days i gave him those sweets.

Thanks!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw, I have been where you are SO many times with Linus! Especially after I lost my other bulldog, me and Linus would share our sorrow over ice cream.

It seems innocent enough but you're really not doing your bully any favors. First, the calories in that kind of treat are high for us but astronomical when it comes to a 40, 50, 60...or in Linus' case 78 pound, dog. So it will make your bully fat.

The other more immediate thing is that since all bullies have some kind of allergies, feeding them junk only exacerbates the problem. In Linus' case, a few ice cream treats and some other junk led to some skin issues that could've easily been avoided had I not indulged him.

So I would do your best to keep those sweet treats to yourself and maybe find some healthy alternatives for your bully - he'll never know what he's missing!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Aw, I have been where you are SO many times with Linus! Especially after I lost my other bulldog, me and Linus would share our sorrow over ice cream.

It seems innocent enough but you're really not doing your bully any favors. First, the calories in that kind of treat are high for us but astronomical when it comes to a 40, 50, 60...or in Linus' case 78 pound, dog. So it will make your bully fat.

The other more immediate thing is that since all bullies have some kind of allergies, feeding them junk only exacerbates the problem. In Linus' case, a few ice cream treats and some other junk led to some skin issues that could've easily been avoided had I not indulged him.

So I would do your best to keep those sweet treats to yourself and maybe find some healthy alternatives for your bully - he'll never know what he's missing!

Sorry i'm so late in replying to this! thanku for your input. As of late, I've been cutting back on the sweet treats for Tate, and wouldn't you know it, i'm cutting back on the sweets for me too! funny how that works out...
You have a good point about how the junk food affects the skin too. I recall as a teen reading about how too much sugar and fats can contribute to human acne and just the overall health of our skin so i can imagine what it must do to our sensitive little bulldogs.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
tut tut lol,i know we like to spoil our dogs but sugar really is a no no ,they dont convert the sugar and you may be storing up trouble with yeast in the future,and it may make him hyperactive lol,throw him a nice chicken wing he will enjoy that better and is much healthier lol,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.