Wellness Super 5 Mix (Just for Puppies) for bulldog pups?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I ended up bringing a bag of this home after talking to a very knowledgeable sales associate at PetCo (they seemed to have upped their game in the food department). I did some digging around and it is a 5 star rated food.

We are currently feeding Nutro Ultra (the Holistic one) to Penny. She has the prominent tear stains, the white on her face sometimes is very pink, and sometimes blood shot eyes. I haven't really noticed any irritation anywhere else. After what I have read on these boards, this issues could very well be food related.

Any experience with this food? It does have chicken which I read could be an allergen (but it does seem like everything is at this point).

I feel like this is such an important decision as I want to set her up with a good start!

I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the choices....

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] That is suppose to be a really good puppy food. I tried it for awhile, but stopped in an attempt to fix Moe's loose stools. I have heard others experiencing loose stools as well on this. Moe has issues with loose stools, so I wouldn't let our problem discourage you from giving it a try... If Penny's stomach can handle it, she should do well on it.

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne2 178.jpg i had Daphne on that Wellness Super 5 mix for a very short time. She had loose poop (mud butt) and was vomiting a little bit. I stuck with it for about 10 days, so I then switched her to Fromm, no problems at all. She had prominent tear stains from the Nutro Holistic Puppy but once I switched her to the Fromm, the stains went away.....Good luck!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Remember to make any switch slowly. The general rule of thumb is to give 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food for a few days; then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days; then 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a few more days; before giving them straight new food. That usually help that they don't get loose stools but if they do slow down and give the mixture for more days til their stool stabilizes, then move on to the next ratio.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We used this puppy food for Gator and had some issues. He had very loose stools, developed his acne (which may have started on any food), and we woke up one morning to awful tear stains. Literally, overnight. BUT I just think Gator has a chicken issue and your girl may not. It might work great for her and it is a good food with good ingredients. I would certainly give it a try!

Oh, and if you introduced yourself and posted pictures I didn't see it so I am saying WELCOME! I am glad you are here...now where are the pictures? lol

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
View attachment 8784 i had Daphne on that Wellness Super 5 mix for a very short time. She had loose poop (mud butt) and was vomiting a little bit. I stuck with it for about 10 days, so I then switched her to Fromm, no problems at all. She had prominent tear stains from the Nutro Holistic Puppy but once I switched her to the Fromm, the stains went away.....Good luck!

What Fromm formula are you feeding? I have a friend who feeds her bully fromm grain free surf & turf and loves it.

I need to read more about the brand to see if they have a puppy formula. I'm not sure how I feel about the "all life stages" foods (people keep telling me different things)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
We went from wellness to FROMM too. We do both the grain free Beef Frittata and grain free surf n turf. I can't say enough about how great they have been for our guys. I started Gypsy on it as soon as we got her as a pup.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] - It's fantastic that you're doing research prior to switching food. :cool2: It's definitely an important decision as you mentioned. One of the reasons Fromm is highly recommended in this forum is because the company wrote in writing how the food is processed, guaranteeing its quality. One of the members here did extensive research on food and found that Fromm is one, if not the only, company that can give us this :pleasantry: promise :pleasantry: about the integrity of the ingredients in their products and the procedures they use to process them.

May I ask what opinions you've heard regarding all-stages food? Maybe the members here will be of help and share their own experiences and findings.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] -

May I ask what opinions you've heard regarding all-stages food? Maybe the members here will be of help and share their own experiences and findings.

Good Suggestion! I'll take any insight I can get since I want to do the best we can with Penny & I know how important the food is!

I've been told by several people that puppies need a "puppy formula" food because it has different nutrients/protein levels, etc. for as quickly as they are growing...vs. a food made for dogs who are already grown. I did read in another post the bullies should be moved to adult food at 5 months? We're not too far off from there.

She seems to be doing ok on the wellness. I am still mixing 50/50 with the nutro to switch her, but firm poo yesterday & this morning. I haven't noticed any changes for the better yet (which I don't expect to see when it's still mixed).

I have heard great things about Fromm (even before coming to this forum), so it is definitely something I am considering. I was hoping to find something local to be able to just pick up rather than ordering online. But, I'm not against it if that's what's best for her!

How long would you suggest giving her on the Wellness to see how she does? She does have prominent tear stains & sometimes her little chin gets pretty pink, but that's really the only symptoms for any allergies she shows.

This is overwhelming!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..just my personal experience here..I'm not any kind of knowledgable about food! I switched Jake off iams puppy when he came home with us. I put him on an all stages formula from natural balance..their ultra classic formula. He did ok..just ok. I couldn't get his :poo: to firm up. After much studying up..and asking ? ...I switched him to Fromm. I started on the surf and turf. I noticed a change in his :poo:... But still not firm enough..by this point I felt he had issues with chicken. I put him on beef fritatta and his :poo: is SO much better! My vet..who has lots and lots of bullies in her practice..doesn't really want them on puppy chow. She thinks while they need the protein..they shouldn't have excess of it or other ingredients in them. She left it up to us..but has been thrilled with jakes progress. He has consistently put on weight and it's a slow but steady increase. When he was going every 3 weeks to get shots..he was always 3 to 4 lbs in that time span. Seems to be maintaining about 3 or 4 a month. Good for you that you are finding what's best for your Penny..they are ALL different!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm going to tag members who have been active in providing their knowledge on the different types of food and hope that they share what they know about protein levels and pups. Sorry if I've missed anyone!

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION]
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.