Royal Canin

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
I am interested in feeding my dog royal canin dog food. I am curious how people feel about this food. All opinions are welcome. I am mainly interested in how the coat is and the gas.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Royal Canin used to be a really good food. But I think it got bought out. It's not so good anymore. It doesn't help with gas at all and it made my bullie's fur stain the rust color.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
I used to feed my first eb's royal canin bulldog and it is garbage! No better than dog chow. My dogs had runny stools, bad gas, and tear stains. I feed Fromm to butler and his farts are not stinky and his coat is excellent. Two solid poops a day.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I used to feed my first eb's royal canin bulldog and it is garbage! No better than dog chow. My dogs had runny stools, bad gas, and tear stains. I feed Fromm to butler and his farts are not stinky and his coat is excellent. Two solid poops a day.

[MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION]...what good are :fart: :fart: If they DONT stink? Just sayin.....

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

I did a food trial with RC bulldog formula and had the exact same experience. The funny part is it states on the bag that it helps with :fart: :lmao:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk was on Royal Canin Bulldogge 24 when we got him ... Since he's been switched off, his tear stains went away and he stopped shedding by a good 75% at least!! Only thing I miss about that food is that it was def easier for him to eat.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Use to feed my bulldog Wilson Royal Canine Bulldog which he loved and was easier for him to eat. Only problem is he shed alot, his poop was always soft and he would throw up a few times a day. Didn't realize it was the dog food. Since I've found EBN i found out it wasn't so good for him. Switched him to Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb. Never and I mean never throws up anymore, his coat has gotten nice and thick and his tear stains seem to have disappeared. My only wish is that the new food was in bigger chunks so I could pick up the spilled morsels up easier. LOL:blush2:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have never fed Samson Royal Canin before but I know it does not get good reviews and seems way over priced for what seems like a below average product.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2194]buffalobabie[/MENTION]. He eats Fromm Whitefish and Potato now :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've never tried Royal Canin but always heard it was a truly awful food ... we love Fromm and are sticking with it!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I guess I'm the voice of dissent here but I fed Linus and Bentley Royal Canin and while it's not the best food, it wasn't really awful either. They had firm stools and never any digestive problems. It did decrease the amount of gas Bentley had (Linus never really had a problem with that) and the large, wave shaped kibble is a very nice design for the bulldog that LOVES to inhale his food.

While it's not terrible, there are just so many other similarly priced dog foods out there that have much higher quality ingredients that I would recommend before Royal Canin. For example, Taste of the Wild is a comparably priced brand and it has better quality ingredients.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
A few years back we fed Royal Canin and it was great but the gas was bad. Then less than a year on it they started to itch and had hot spots. holistic Select is pretty good but now we feed FROMM 4 star and so far so good.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
[MENTION=2450]sitartzm[/MENTION] I put Roxi on Royal Canin after getting her from the breeder. The vet I was using at the time told me it was a great food and the best on the market! But I didn't know any better. After frustrating tear staining, horrible gas, shedding and loose stools I became fed up and decided to look for new food. :detective: She has been on Nature's Logic now for about 6 months and I have seen incredible improvements! No tear staining, firmer stools, not shedding anything like she used to and ... She still has gas but much less -she burps, not farts now. I hope this helps. I actually became a member on this site because I wanted to know if her food was good or not and everyone was extremely helpful. Take a look at the ingredient list and compare to Fromm or Nature's Logic. You will not be disappointed with either of those.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.