I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal Canin

I guess I'm the voice of dissent here but I fed Linus and Bentley Royal Canin and while it's not the best food, it wasn't really awful either. They had firm stools and never any digestive problems. It did decrease the amount of gas Bentley had (Linus never really had a problem with that) and the large, wave shaped kibble is a very nice design for the bulldog that LOVES to inhale his food.

While it's not terrible, there are just so many other similarly priced dog foods out there that have much higher quality ingredients that I would recommend before Royal Canin. For example, Taste of the Wild is a comparably priced brand and it has better quality ingredients.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

A few years back we fed Royal Canin and it was great but the gas was bad. Then less than a year on it they started to itch and had hot spots. holistic Select is pretty good but now we feed FROMM 4 star and so far so good.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Roxi Bear
    Likes (Received)

@sitartzm I put Roxi on Royal Canin after getting her from the breeder. The vet I was using at the time told me it was a great food and the best on the market! But I didn't know any better. After frustrating tear staining, horrible gas, shedding and loose stools I became fed up and decided to look for new food. She has been on Nature's Logic now for about 6 months and I have seen incredible improvements! No tear staining, firmer stools, not shedding anything like she used to and ... She still has gas but much less -she burps, not farts now. I hope this helps. I actually became a member on this site because I wanted to know if her food was good or not and everyone was extremely helpful. Take a look at the ingredient list and compare to Fromm or Nature's Logic. You will not be disappointed with either of those.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chief Osceola
    Likes (Received)

Chief started on it from the breeder and being our first EB, we didn't know better. Thought expensive and EB-specific shaped meant quality. Wrong. He was a hot mess. Constant mange, hot spots, eye goop, and stinky. His stools were solid though, which they currently are not. I guess that's what kept him from needing sac expression like lately. Within a week of switching to Blue Buffalo, his eyes quit gooping so much and I've been trying different 5 and 6 star foods from dogfoodanalysis.com since. Solid Gold has his goop coming back and stools soft so I'm trying Taste of the Wild next. We are on a tight budget but paying for quality food keeps us from paying constant vet bills!

Real Name
    ali
    Country
    Qatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    romina
    Likes (Received)

Royal canin bulldog is the best no problem's with my 2 bulldog puppy and no gas

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)

I tried it once Ms. Daphnee was out of puppy food, and she didn't do good on it. Mostly upset belly, bad poops, and gas was "normal". I have learned that one of the most important things, it seems, is to rotate the protein of the food to prevent allergy issues. We went thru all of Natural Balance flavors, most of California Natural, and now on Zignature. Bullys can be affected easily so be careful. Go with a small bag, most places will refund it if you have issues. Some people do fine on Royal Canin, some can get away with the cheaper foods. But this is a great resource and people are on here 24/7 to help... good luck

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

From Wikipedia
    "As at 30 April 2012, the FDA had reported no Class I, II, or III recalls by Royal Canin since the FDA's multi–brand–affecting "Melamine in Pet Food Recall" of March/April 2007 "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_p...ffected_brands

here is a link I found hope it helps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads