OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Thanks so much for all the info!!! Chunk was on Simplicef so I think I'll ask if we can try the cephalexin next! I've done the stainless steel bowls (he actually came with them), clean them after every meal, dry his face every time he eats/drinks, clean his cage daily, and malaket (sp?) wipes. All these things haven't made a major impact. However, I did see that someone said they get a crib pad and cover it with a baby sheet and wash that daily, I'm considering trying that. The only thing is - he lays mostly on the carpet so idk how much changing his crate bedding will actually help. I heard about the panalog ... I have it for his wrinkles ... maybe I'll try that too. Hmph. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't open and bleed!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] I tell ya, Ii have been so frustrated by them that all of the vets Gator has ever seen even for his limping have had the acne question from me. Lol

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] I don't blame you!!! I was actually thinking about a trip up to "The Bulldog Vet" in NY ... we've been there once before and he was great. Just seems crazy to travel 45 minutes just for his bumps. :( Although with all the other things he has going on, I may consider it just to see his opinion. Hmmm.

Mosley10

Jul 1, 2011
We ended up taking Mosley yesterday to the ER vet because he wasn't acting himself, not eating, and other things. The ER vet actually has treated bulldogs and knew exactly what Mosley had on his toes, interdigit cysts he called them. I saw someone mention stridex pads, those also worked with clearing up his face. We met a bulldog while we were at the vet's office too and he also gets the acne on his chin! As far as a food allergy trial goes, our vet said, all he was allowed to have was just that food, no peanut butter, no cream cheese, no anything but his food (and the treats that are also allergy free). It's for 6 weeks. Then you slowly integrate things back in to see if it causes a flare up. We are on week 4 and so far no pimples on his face :D.

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
My bully will not eat any food with fish or salmon! he's a meat eater! it could be the potato too. Reilly is currently on the Oven Baked Lamb and Rice by Avoderm and it has only been a week and a half and his tear stains have disappeared and he hasn't been chewing his feet as much. He still has patchy fur on his back and hoping the hair will grow back soon. I have never tried Fromm but seems to be very popular on these boards.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm slow to respond lately but thanks everyone for the info! [MENTION=2673]Mosley10[/MENTION] I was thinking about doing the food trial ... keep me updated on his progress! Glad to see it's helped so far!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
The Fromm surf and turf seems to be helping ... At least with his . It's not as yellow. It was somewhat firmer too but has since gotten loose again so we started giving him pumpkin with each meal again. I've also tossed some treats we had that weren't grain-free. So my fingers are still crossed. The chin bumps are much better but still there so I'm going to try the malaket wipes again. Thanks for asking @cowsmom!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh well any improvement is good i think. Yea poo is a funny thing sarahs will be good one minute and then let me give her something and it will be softer and yellow in a minute. I think sarah cant have yogurt which sucks because i was hoping for it to help with the yeast issue but doesnt seem to be in the cards. I so hope chunk keeps improving sometimes it takes a while for things to settle down. well you may want to try the beef frittata as some bullys that didnt do well on surf n turf did great on that one. good luck to ya.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]! We tried the Beef once before and it didn't work well, though that could have been due to other issues at the time. Considering another brand of food too ... I'm waiting it out for a while though ... partially to see what happens at the change of seasons and partially because I have A LOT of food left! :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online