Not sure what food to try next ...

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Poor Guy~ I am so glad you are going to take him. The antibiotics did so well with clearing them and the panalog just finished them off (after they were mostly healed and not breaking open or bleeding any longer). Keep us posted on how he is doing!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has had those bumps from time to time as well as redness under her chin and but they never broke open and bled. It depended on what food she was eating it seems cause they would go away with some of the foods ive fed her and come back with others. for bekah bardwell sarah has a yeast problem and she did not do well on the instinct i tried two diff ones although not the limited ingredient one. she also did not do well with potatoes and im not sure grain free is the way to go. sarah does better with her yeast with grain but limited in what they are. not saying not to try the fromm grain free but ive tried several grain free with sarah and her yeast has not gotten better. maybe one of the other fromm formulas would be better. Sarah is on holistic select now as fromm is not available anywhere around here and seems to be doing better. Each dog is different and the food choices boggle the mind. good luck.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Hello.my dog likes to eat vegetable and also meat too.but i don't think so it is enough for him.tell me what items should i give to him for eat.What kind of food will be good for him.reply me soon.

dogs really cant digest veg unless its pulped ,there is a lot off debate about this subject ,if you are feeding raw meat then give your dog a little extra and cut back on the veg you can also give himr raw bones but only soft ones like pork ribs,lamb ribs or chicken backs/frames,if your not comfortable with this then buy a premium kibble ,karen

Mosley10

Jul 1, 2011
Our little Mosley gets those. We put him on Natural Balance - which cleared it up on his face (after 6 weeks of antibiotics) but now he has them on his toes. We think his have to do with pollen allergies.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Our little Mosley gets those. We put him on Natural Balance - which cleared it up on his face (after 6 weeks of antibiotics) but now he has them on his toes. We think his have to do with pollen allergies.

Which Natural Balance did you put him on? I just bought a few treats from there and the line really intrigues me! The treats smell good!!! And I can pronounce (and pretty much know) everything on the label. I like that. I switched him to Fromm Surf and Turf (grain free) but no major changes!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We liked the improvement in Gracie's allergy issues (itchy rash on legs, under chin, gooey eyes and runny nose, bad doggy smell) with Fromm surf and turf, but she did even better when we switched her to beef Frittata. We believe it's because it's chicken free and the surf and turf is not.
However in the past month some of her allergy symptoms ( runny eyes and nose ) has increased. We think it's seasonal and have started giving her benadryl fairly regularly.

Mosley10

Jul 1, 2011
We tried Duck & Potato with him, he didn't like the flavor, which we found funny because our cats eat duck & pea and he has no issues with eating that. We recently switched him to Bison & Sweet Potato and he seems to like it. We also feed him the treats too, and he loves them. We fed him Halo as a puppy, but we know how well our cats do with the Natural Balance (both of them have allergies, one is allergic to several kinds of food). I have been using this brand for about 4 years with the cats, and didn't hesitate once switching Mosley over to it.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] ... I'm tempted to try the Beef Fritatta again ... I tried it once before and his poor belly reacted poorly. However, he had other things going on at the time and I think that may have had something to do with it. I also think he needs away from the chicken. He was on the Fromm Whitefish (which had no chicken) but is doing basically the same on the Surf and Turf as that (except his :poo: is a little better on the grain free).

[MENTION=2673]Mosley10[/MENTION] Thanks for the info! I may try that ... seems nothing works for this poor little dude! (Funny thing is, I'm the only one who seems to be bothered by it ... he's happy as can be!)

Mosley10

Jul 1, 2011
Same thing with Mosley. We are taking him back to the vet on Wednesday so they can look at his paws, they have the spots too, which is why we think it is an outdoor allergy causing the issue. We are in constant contact with our breeder, and she said his mom gets them in the spring and summer due to allergies, sometimes it's just nice knowing your puppy is not the only one with the issue!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2673]Mosley10[/MENTION] That is the truth! This is why I love this place so much ... someone has always gone through what you are going through before. My vet is kind of at a loss with the bumps because they could really be from any kind of allergy! She said we could do all the different allergy testing ... but of course that is time consuming, expensive and will not necessarily yield the results needed. I thought about doing a TRUE food trial ... I have to get all the details of that from her. Anyway, thanks so much for your info! Let me know what your vet says about his paws!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Actually I have asked about 6 different (oh, wait, 7) vets at three different practices about the chin bumps. All said acne. None of them could give me any more info on how to prevent them. Their suggestions were: animax (panalog), chlorhexadine wipes, stainless bowls, smooth bedding (such as sheets), remove crate pan or clean daily, or try stridex pads or the lowest % of benzoil peroxide cream you can find at the drug store. I am actually not so sure that food is related. Gator's are completely gone now (knock on wood) and then Gypsy's flared back up and had to be treated with antibiotics and are almost gone.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Aww poor Chunk. That looks painful.

Delilah had some bumps on her chin like that as a puppy. We took her to the vet and she did a skin scraping of the area and looked at it under the microscope. She put some cream stuff on it and gave me some antibiotics and she cleared up!

I hope you're able to get it fixed and treated quickly!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Actually I have asked about 6 different (oh, wait, 7) vets at three different practices about the chin bumps. All said acne. None of them could give me any more info on how to prevent them. Their suggestions were: animax (panalog), chlorhexadine wipes, stainless bowls, smooth bedding (such as sheets), remove crate pan or clean daily, or try stridex pads or the lowest % of benzoil peroxide cream you can find at the drug store. I am actually not so sure that food is related. Gator's are completely gone now (knock on wood) and then Gypsy's flared back up and had to be treated with antibiotics and are almost gone.

Do you by chance know what antibiotic it was? Chunk was on an antibiotic for it and it only helped a little. My fault - I was supposed to call the vet a few days after starting it to let her know if there was a significant change and I didn't, so we never put him on something different.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] itwas cephalexin 250mg. Gator had to do two rounds because it was better but not gone after the first round. Gypsy looks like hers will be fine after one round.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online