Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what food to try next ...

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not sure what food to try next ...

@Mosley10 That is the truth! This is why I love this place so much ... someone has always gone through what you are going through before. My vet is kind of at a loss with the bumps because they could really be from any kind of allergy! She said we could do all the different allergy testing ... but of course that is time consuming, expensive and will not necessarily yield the results needed. I thought about doing a TRUE food trial ... I have to get all the details of that from her. Anyway, thanks so much for your info! Let me know what your vet says about his paws!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama Actually I have asked about 6 different (oh, wait, 7) vets at three different practices about the chin bumps. All said acne. None of them could give me any more info on how to prevent them. Their suggestions were: animax (panalog), chlorhexadine wipes, stainless bowls, smooth bedding (such as sheets), remove crate pan or clean daily, or try stridex pads or the lowest % of benzoil peroxide cream you can find at the drug store. I am actually not so sure that food is related. Gator's are completely gone now (knock on wood) and then Gypsy's flared back up and had to be treated with antibiotics and are almost gone.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Bardwell View Post
    Attachment 8086 heres is what it looks like
    i would try the Salmon formula. No matter what brand you feed...fish formulas are easier on bullies with allergies. This same thing happens to Hitch when he eats red meat formulas.
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Delilah's Personal Slave Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Delilah
    Likes (Received)

Aww poor Chunk. That looks painful.

Delilah had some bumps on her chin like that as a puppy. We took her to the vet and she did a skin scraping of the area and looked at it under the microscope. She put some cream stuff on it and gave me some antibiotics and she cleared up!

I hope you're able to get it fixed and treated quickly!

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorRay View Post
    @Chunksmama Actually I have asked about 6 different (oh, wait, 7) vets at three different practices about the chin bumps. All said acne. None of them could give me any more info on how to prevent them. Their suggestions were: animax (panalog), chlorhexadine wipes, stainless bowls, smooth bedding (such as sheets), remove crate pan or clean daily, or try stridex pads or the lowest % of benzoil peroxide cream you can find at the drug store. I am actually not so sure that food is related. Gator's are completely gone now (knock on wood) and then Gypsy's flared back up and had to be treated with antibiotics and are almost gone.
    Do you by chance know what antibiotic it was? Chunk was on an antibiotic for it and it only helped a little. My fault - I was supposed to call the vet a few days after starting it to let her know if there was a significant change and I didn't, so we never put him on something different.

Live Genuinely

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama itwas cephalexin 250mg. Gator had to do two rounds because it was better but not gone after the first round. Gypsy looks like hers will be fine after one round.

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@GatorRay Thanks so much for all the info!!! Chunk was on Simplicef so I think I'll ask if we can try the cephalexin next! I've done the stainless steel bowls (he actually came with them), clean them after every meal, dry his face every time he eats/drinks, clean his cage daily, and malaket (sp?) wipes. All these things haven't made a major impact. However, I did see that someone said they get a crib pad and cover it with a baby sheet and wash that daily, I'm considering trying that. The only thing is - he lays mostly on the carpet so idk how much changing his crate bedding will actually help. I heard about the panalog ... I have it for his wrinkles ... maybe I'll try that too. Hmph. Wouldn't be so bad if they didn't open and bleed!

Live Genuinely

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Chunksmama I tell ya, Ii have been so frustrated by them that all of the vets Gator has ever seen even for his limping have had the acne question from me. Lol

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@GatorRay I don't blame you!!! I was actually thinking about a trip up to "The Bulldog Vet" in NY ... we've been there once before and he was great. Just seems crazy to travel 45 minutes just for his bumps. Although with all the other things he has going on, I may consider it just to see his opinion. Hmmm.

Live Genuinely

We ended up taking Mosley yesterday to the ER vet because he wasn't acting himself, not eating, and other things. The ER vet actually has treated bulldogs and knew exactly what Mosley had on his toes, interdigit cysts he called them. I saw someone mention stridex pads, those also worked with clearing up his face. We met a bulldog while we were at the vet's office too and he also gets the acne on his chin! As far as a food allergy trial goes, our vet said, all he was allowed to have was just that food, no peanut butter, no cream cheese, no anything but his food (and the treats that are also allergy free). It's for 6 weeks. Then you slowly integrate things back in to see if it causes a flare up. We are on week 4 and so far no pimples on his face .

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reilly
    Likes (Received)

My bully will not eat any food with fish or salmon! he's a meat eater! it could be the potato too. Reilly is currently on the Oven Baked Lamb and Rice by Avoderm and it has only been a week and a half and his tear stains have disappeared and he hasn't been chewing his feet as much. He still has patchy fur on his back and hoping the hair will grow back soon. I have never tried Fromm but seems to be very popular on these boards.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

I'd stay away from anything potato.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads