Not sure what food to try next ...

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Sooo Chunk is on Fromm Whitefish & Potato (after much help from [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION]) ... but he still seems to have some allergy symptoms so I'm thinking about doing another food change. Debating between another version of Fromm (since my understanding is that it would be an easy change even though I would take time like I would with any change) or one of the Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient foods ... anyone have any thoughts?! So hard to make these decisions!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
If I may ask, what problems is he still having? Sometimes it seems that potato can be an allergy trigger.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake is on Fromm surf and turf..it's z grain free.he has just finished with his transition..and is doing well so far. Tough choices..I know!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
He's got bumps under his chin, a little bit of a runny nose (which could be seasonal, I'm not sure) and his poop is still a little softer than I think it should be (also somewhat yellowish in color). The bumps are the biggest concern because they open and bleed. :( He's always had them (I learned from his previous owner).

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's a pic but it really does it no justice. It's worse than it looks in the pic.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306205360.885815.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306205360.885815.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 146

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It looks pretty bad in the pic too! He may need a course of antibiotics to clear that up :(.

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
I have Memphis on Natures Variety Instinct Duck n he has developed rusty colored fur all under his neck, arms n legs n they have said on here that it sounds like yeast. Also they said it could be the carbs in the food n i checked n sure enough it has tapioca as the fourth ingre. which was also said to be high in cards. althought thats not the issues u r having lol so it may wk for u but i went yesterday n am switching Memphis to Fromm Beef grain free in hopes to clearing it up... Just wanted to mention this incase he has ever dealt w yeast...

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Awww! Poor Chunk! I'm sorry I can't be of much help here, butI hope he gets better soon!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
If you are switching, I say try all the fromms you are curious about first cuz it is an easier switch within the same food. Then once you have given up (if you dont find one you like) then move on to a diff one. Maybe try the grain free fromm and see if it makes a diff?

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello~
So as you can see, there are many opinions about what it is and what to try. Certainly foods can cause some symptoms, but if I read correctly, the previous owner said it has always been there?
How long have you had him?
How old is he?

Bullies have many known allergies to food and products. Some are allergic to chicken (about 75%), others are allergic to grain, plastic bowls, wool, grass, pollen and other stuff.

Your vet can do a scrapping of the area to test for any bacteria, virus or yeast conditions present. If that comes back clear, then visiting a dermatologist is very highly recommended. finding out what is causing the problem will prevent from hunting around for a solution just by hit and miss.

Please keep us posted.
Good Day~

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] Ok, I can weigh in on this one. lol Gator had those EXACT same bumps and they would break open and bleed as well. I took him to the vet and went through TWO rounds of antibiotics. Well, they didn't clear completely but it did make a HUGE difference. You could see they were healed and wouldn't break open any more but they were still there a little. I put some panalog cream on them, and in three days or so, they are almost GONE.

I don't know for sure how Gator's got infected. He originally got them while he was on Wellness Puppy food and didn't clear with the food switch to Fromm. I use stainless bowls and wash them every feeding and wipe his chin after he drinks when I catch him. I also tried about four different things! I tried a food change, stridex pads, strait benzoil peroxide cream, changing his bedding to just bed sheets so they weren't rough, chlorhexadine wipes and even listerine as suggested by someone. Nothing worked! The vet and I think that his rough play with our other dog caused them to break open and get infected and at that point, nothing would have cleared them up except for antibiotics.

About two days ago I noticed a bump on Gypsy's chin. I put the Panalog cream on it and now it is gone as well. That one was not bleeding or infected.

At any rate, my suggestion is to go to the vet and get him on some antibiotics to clear it up. Then also ask for Panalog cream and use it per instructions. I use it once a day until they are completely gone. I doubt at this point Chunk's will clear without the antibiotics.

Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I was thinking the same thing :(

[MENTION=2159]Bekah Bardwell[/MENTION] We haven't had yeast issues (knock on wood!) but we tried the Beef Frittata and that didn't work out. :(

[MENTION=2251]NJBullyMommy[/MENTION] Thank you!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] That's exactly what I was thinking! However, the "hypoallergenic" part of the Nature's Variety is tempting.

[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION] We've had Chunk for 10 months ... he turns 3 on Friday! We adopted him from a girl who could no longer afford to care for him. I was considering having the vet do a scraping ...

[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Thanks for all the info!!! I do have the Panalog cream (I need it intermittently for his one wrinkle because of his eye issues), but never thought to use it on the bumps. I'll check with the vet first (since they are open) but it's good to know that helps.

Sooo, since I posted last night and a little while ago, they REALLY bled bad. I called and made a vet appt ... then when I got on here it just reaffirmed my thinking. I remember mentioning the bumps to her once before but that was as we were changing food and they really weren't bad at that point (very rarely bleeding either, mostly just when he played too rough). So the vet and I decided to see what if the food helped first. (He had been on Royal Canin for a long time and we thought maybe it was a chicken allergy ...) We use all stainless bowls and someone always wipes his face after eating/drinking ... His treats are basically all frozen veggies and/or fruit ... I even put a blanket/bed in his crate so he isn't laying on the rubber. Guess I'll find out next Tuesday what the outcome is. Thanks so much everyone for your input!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
awwww poor baby Good Luck
#1 I agree he needs a round of antibitoics..
#2 Duke has allergies , we feed NVI beef formula.. ( now touch wood he has done really well ) we had him on DVP duck and potatoe but switched to have a better quality and also to rid of the potato.
#3 no one had mentioned this but it really works for us.. we follow Duke around the house and do not leave his water bowl down. when he eats or drinks we pat dry his chin with a soft towel. this has helped tremendously..

John broke

May 25, 2011
Hello.my dog likes to eat vegetable and also meat too.but i don't think so it is enough for him.tell me what items should i give to him for eat.What kind of food will be good for him.reply me soon.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online