Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what food to try next ...

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not sure what food to try next ...

@desertskybulldogs I was thinking the same thing

@Bekah Bardwell We haven't had yeast issues (knock on wood!) but we tried the Beef Frittata and that didn't work out.

@NJBullyMommy Thank you!

@cali~jenn That's exactly what I was thinking! However, the "hypoallergenic" part of the Nature's Variety is tempting.

@ABEBD We've had Chunk for 10 months ... he turns 3 on Friday! We adopted him from a girl who could no longer afford to care for him. I was considering having the vet do a scraping ...

@GatorRay Thanks for all the info!!! I do have the Panalog cream (I need it intermittently for his one wrinkle because of his eye issues), but never thought to use it on the bumps. I'll check with the vet first (since they are open) but it's good to know that helps.

Sooo, since I posted last night and a little while ago, they REALLY bled bad. I called and made a vet appt ... then when I got on here it just reaffirmed my thinking. I remember mentioning the bumps to her once before but that was as we were changing food and they really weren't bad at that point (very rarely bleeding either, mostly just when he played too rough). So the vet and I decided to see what if the food helped first. (He had been on Royal Canin for a long time and we thought maybe it was a chicken allergy ...) We use all stainless bowls and someone always wipes his face after eating/drinking ... His treats are basically all frozen veggies and/or fruit ... I even put a blanket/bed in his crate so he isn't laying on the rubber. Guess I'll find out next Tuesday what the outcome is. Thanks so much everyone for your input!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

awwww poor baby Good Luck
    #1 I agree he needs a round of antibitoics..
    #2 Duke has allergies , we feed NVI beef formula.. ( now touch wood he has done really well ) we had him on DVP duck and potatoe but switched to have a better quality and also to rid of the potato.
    #3 no one had mentioned this but it really works for us.. we follow Duke around the house and do not leave his water bowl down. when he eats or drinks we pat dry his chin with a soft towel. this has helped tremendously..

Hello.my dog likes to eat vegetable and also meat too.but i don't think so it is enough for him.tell me what items should i give to him for eat.What kind of food will be good for him.reply me soon.
    John broke

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Poor Guy~ I am so glad you are going to take him. The antibiotics did so well with clearing them and the panalog just finished them off (after they were mostly healed and not breaking open or bleeding any longer). Keep us posted on how he is doing!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

sarah has had those bumps from time to time as well as redness under her chin and but they never broke open and bled. It depended on what food she was eating it seems cause they would go away with some of the foods ive fed her and come back with others. for bekah bardwell sarah has a yeast problem and she did not do well on the instinct i tried two diff ones although not the limited ingredient one. she also did not do well with potatoes and im not sure grain free is the way to go. sarah does better with her yeast with grain but limited in what they are. not saying not to try the fromm grain free but ive tried several grain free with sarah and her yeast has not gotten better. maybe one of the other fromm formulas would be better. Sarah is on holistic select now as fromm is not available anywhere around here and seems to be doing better. Each dog is different and the food choices boggle the mind. good luck.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John broke View Post
    Hello.my dog likes to eat vegetable and also meat too.but i don't think so it is enough for him.tell me what items should i give to him for eat.What kind of food will be good for him.reply me soon.
    dogs really cant digest veg unless its pulped ,there is a lot off debate about this subject ,if you are feeding raw meat then give your dog a little extra and cut back on the veg you can also give himr raw bones but only soft ones like pork ribs,lamb ribs or chicken backs/frames,if your not comfortable with this then buy a premium kibble ,karen

Our little Mosley gets those. We put him on Natural Balance - which cleared it up on his face (after 6 weeks of antibiotics) but now he has them on his toes. We think his have to do with pollen allergies.

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mosley10 View Post
    Our little Mosley gets those. We put him on Natural Balance - which cleared it up on his face (after 6 weeks of antibiotics) but now he has them on his toes. We think his have to do with pollen allergies.
    Which Natural Balance did you put him on? I just bought a few treats from there and the line really intrigues me! The treats smell good!!! And I can pronounce (and pretty much know) everything on the label. I like that. I switched him to Fromm Surf and Turf (grain free) but no major changes!

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

We liked the improvement in Gracie's allergy issues (itchy rash on legs, under chin, gooey eyes and runny nose, bad doggy smell) with Fromm surf and turf, but she did even better when we switched her to beef Frittata. We believe it's because it's chicken free and the surf and turf is not.
    However in the past month some of her allergy symptoms ( runny eyes and nose ) has increased. We think it's seasonal and have started giving her benadryl fairly regularly.

We tried Duck & Potato with him, he didn't like the flavor, which we found funny because our cats eat duck & pea and he has no issues with eating that. We recently switched him to Bison & Sweet Potato and he seems to like it. We also feed him the treats too, and he loves them. We fed him Halo as a puppy, but we know how well our cats do with the Natural Balance (both of them have allergies, one is allergic to several kinds of food). I have been using this brand for about 4 years with the cats, and didn't hesitate once switching Mosley over to it.

Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@LariP ... I'm tempted to try the Beef Fritatta again ... I tried it once before and his poor belly reacted poorly. However, he had other things going on at the time and I think that may have had something to do with it. I also think he needs away from the chicken. He was on the Fromm Whitefish (which had no chicken) but is doing basically the same on the Surf and Turf as that (except his is a little better on the grain free).

@Mosley10 Thanks for the info! I may try that ... seems nothing works for this poor little dude! (Funny thing is, I'm the only one who seems to be bothered by it ... he's happy as can be!)

Live Genuinely

Same thing with Mosley. We are taking him back to the vet on Wednesday so they can look at his paws, they have the spots too, which is why we think it is an outdoor allergy causing the issue. We are in constant contact with our breeder, and she said his mom gets them in the spring and summer due to allergies, sometimes it's just nice knowing your puppy is not the only one with the issue!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads