fromm vs taste of the wild

aco910

May 12, 2011
Claremore,OK
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.beefy
I was just wondering what everybodys opinion is on these two foods fromm salmon a la veg vs. Taste of the wild pacific stream. It seams a lot of people on here go with fromm but I have a friend who said she's heard of bullsogs having kidney failure from fromm and they sell totw for 42 dollars a 30 lb bag at a feed store by my house so im just wanting some input.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hmm. That's interesting. I've never heard of that problem from Fromm. A lot of people here swear by the Fromm surf and turf or the new beef frittata.

I don't have an answer but most likely someone will.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have tried both. We are currently on Fromm Beef Frittata and it is WONDERFUL. Several things with the TOTW pacific stream just didn't do it for us. I thought (and so did my hubby) that the TOTW smelled really, really bad. His words were that it "reeked" and he refused to buy another bag. Plus, Gator and Lucy did not like it. I would put the food bowl down and they would both sniff it and walk away. Gator got interdigital cysts and super bad chin acne on TOTW as well as some yeasty ears. I do have to say that the acne was aggravated by his bedding and the rough play with his sister but on Fromm the cysts, yucky ears and acne are gone. My basset did fine on the TOTW except she did not like it.

Now, this is just MY opinion. It might work for others just fine. My dog just didn't do well with it. Like others have said, every dog is different and yours might do well on it. Just be sure to buy the smallest bag if you decide to try it.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ummm, that is pretty weird. I would love to hear their source of their information.... but I agree with [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]'s hubby. I thought TOTW kibble reeked, and also when my bullies were on the trial they got tear stains and I did not notice any improvement in their coats. But I do know others feed it with much success. I am doing a food trial right now with the grain free kibble from costco that is made by the same manufacturer of TOTW and I am actually more impressed with that (plus it is much cheaper).

In the end, Fromm is my favorite at this current time, but I am ready to do another trial of Nature's Logic now that petflow carries it, for a much longer term. I only did one large bag, and was very impressed, but could not get it in my area.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, I just did some quick research and someone with a dog that died from kidney failure posted that Fromm is actually really great with the lower protein levels. She did feel that TOTW was too high in protein for low activity dog. I also just read an article that stated that for dogs with kidney disease, high protein levels can be poisonous UNLESS the protein is of very good quality.

Where did your friend hear that Fromm was causing kidney failure?

OP
aco910

aco910

May 12, 2011
Claremore,OK
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.beefy
She does English Bulldog Rescue. It wasnt a dog of hers, it was a lady she knows that shows them and she had just switched to fromm, and her dog died . I guess her vet had told her that it was the food that caused it. And I mean that doesnt necessarily scare me off because any dog could have a completely different reaction to one food then all the others, and I hadnt heard of any other dogs having it. I feed TOTW to my cat, but I also dont have to watch my nutrition as much with my cat as I do with my EB .

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The key word here is "just"... In order for a dog or cat food to cause kidney failure..it has to be over a period of time. Since the dog had JUST been switched to Fromm..I think it's irresponsible for anyone to blame the food...ESPECIALLY a vet. As much as people are really aware of problems with pet food..and especially how careful most of us are..we would've heard of a problem.

I like Mr. Beefys' name!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My boys are on TOTW Pacific Stream and they love it, they gobble it up as soon as it hits their bowls. As far as the amount of protein, TOTW only has 25% protein and isn't that the right amount for a bulldog? I've never noticed that it "reeks" either. As for tear stains, Oliver has them, but he always has, Sebastian doesn't even on the white side of his face, so I can't say the food is causing them. I would like to try Fromm, but for the cost compared to the size of the bag, I haven't taken the jump yet. For those of you on Fromm, maybe you could answer this for me. TOTW comes in a 30 pound bag and it will last the boys about 3+ weeks. I'm feeding them 3 times a day, 1 cup per time (they don't always eat the full cup, tho, so I just save it for the next feeding. How long does a 26# bag of Fromm last for your dogs? If I can make it last as long as the TOTW, I might try it on the boys and see how they like it. I will probably buy the small bag first though.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..[MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION]..we just today went all in with the Fromm..Jake has been on the worlds slowest transition! So far he is doing fine..no idea on your question tho...just like to stick Jakes nose in EVERYTHING!! :lmao:

Last edited:

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Interdigital cysts and chin acne from TOTW dog food ? I have never heard that dog food would cause these medical issues. Did a VET confirm this ? I feed my Bully TOTW Grain Free Sierra Mountain, which he loves, and he does get FROMM
periodically. I only limit the FROMM because of the higher calorie count of this food, but he loves the food. I don't see any problems as a result of either food.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Interdigital cysts and chin acne from TOTW dog food ? I have never heard that dog food would cause these medical issues. Did a VET confirm this ? I feed my Bully TOTW Grain Free Sierra Mountain, which he loves, and he does get FROMM
periodically. I only limit the FROMM because of the higher calorie count of this food, but he loves the food. I don't see any problems as a result of either food.

I am so glad yours are doing great with TOTW. As I said earlier, every dog is different and what might work for one, might not for others. My Basset hound did fine other than the fact that she didn't like it and would walk away from her bowl. My comparison of the two was my opinion only when I told of our experiences.

Actually, my vet suggested that the interdigital cysts and chin acne could be caused by a food allergy. Along with the yeasty ears.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ... she only JUST moved her dog to Fromm and the vet is claiming it was the food??? It would take a long time for the food to build up in the dogs system to cause the kidneys to fail!!!

We have both of ours on Fromm and we love it ... I don't even wipe their wrinkles more than once a month now because there is just nothing there to wipe!!!!

[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] Yes food could cause interdigital cysts and chin acne as both are signs of a potential food allergy. It may not even be the food itself it could be the protein source. For example Maggie got really bad interdigital cysts which then became infected whilst she was on Fromm chicken n veggies. As long as we stay clear of the chicken flavour then the Fromm is just wonderful.

[MENTION=2152]Kim Sebastian n Oliver[/MENTION] Maggie is on 3/4 cup twice a day and she's 35lb and 3 years old. Daddy is now on 1 1/4 cups per day and he is close to 50lb and 9 months old. So we get through 4 cups a day .... a 30-ish lb bag will last approx 4 weeks. As Daddy gets older we'll probably cut him down to 1 cup at each meal and see how he does. At the moment he's starting to put a bit of weight on ...not too much but I'm going to be watching him closely. He's long bodied so sometimes it's not as easy to notice their weight as it is with the "butterball" shaped bullies!!

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne 492.jpg I have Daphne on Fromm and she has no gas and tear stains going away.....my last bully, Molly, died from kidney failure, but it was a genetic thing. We took Molly to Univ of Penna Vet Hospital and it was a disease called PLN (protein losing somethin somethin) and the doctors said it had nothing to do with the food.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], that's okay, I'm glad you replied even if you are just "nosy" LOL!!!

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], thanks so much, I think I'm going to change their order at Petflow to Fromm now. I still have 1 bag of TOTW in the garage and just started on a bag a week and a half ago.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.