could new food cause allergies within hours??

babypoopies

Nov 29, 2010
I fed my babies avoderm because I read the nutrition article and felt guilty! r/d is a 1star food! :(. I didn't have any r/d left so I fed them avoderm straight. my bullie got the weight management and my frenchton got puppy. biscuit, the bullie, had some diarrhea after an hour. peanut, the frenchton, is bright pink and has watery eyes!!! I feel so guilty!! I am not sure what to feed them in the morning. any help would be appreciated!!!! I feel so terrible!!!!! :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh dear!!! Poor babies!!

You should always switch over a minimum of one week. Otherwise it causes severe gastro intestinal upset.

Here is what you can do:

Do not feed them in the morning. Feed them the bland diet starting tomorrow night, for a couple of days to settle their tummy. Once their poop firms up, slowly introduce the kibble with the rice over a few days.

When changing from 1 star to a 4 star there is a major difference in ingredients. Please keep us posted!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh my, sorry it didn't go so well. Yes, it's possible that they're reacting to the food. Since you don't have any of the old food left, it's probably a good idea to feed them the bland diet for a day or two. This will settle their stomach down and firm up their poop.

A change in food should be a very gradual change, especially if you're going from a 1-star to a 5- or 6-star. When I changed my bully's food, the transition took about a week. Added a 1/4 of new to the old every couple of days. So it's also likely that your fur-babies reacted like how you described because it shocked their system. I'm not too sure if it's advisable to add avoderm to the bland diet so that you don't need to buy a bag of the old food, but someone here will let you know.

Hopefully you'll get things settled soon. Hugs to you and your babies. :hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
lol. Desertsky posted while I was typing. I guess it's ok to add avoderm to the bland diet. G'luck!

OP
B

babypoopies

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks everyone for the advice!!! Going to bland!!! Did I mention the gas????????????????? Wow - it's a whole new level of stink! :) Will keep everyone posted!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you could also just buy a small bag of the old food to transition after the bland diet is over. most companies have small bags of food. just a thought

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.