Food Change! Your thoughts?

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
After realizing that the food I am feeding Katie is only 1 star (yikes!), I have been doing some research for a new food. I think I have decided on Fromm Four Star Naturals Pork & Applesauce Dry Dog Food. Is this a good choice? What are your experiences with this food?
Also, I have no idea how much or how often to feed her. I've just been feeding her when I get home from work in the afternoons. Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..well I am NOT the one to give you food advice..don't worry..you will get lots of great help. I am in the process of transitioning Jake to Fromm surf and turf..so far so good! I don't think you can go wrong with Fromm..good luck!

Jake is 5 1/2 months old. He gets 3/4 cup 3 x a day..but when his transition is done and he reaches 6 months..I plan on going to 1 cup twice a day!

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate's also on a 1 star food right now (Eukanuba for puppies) b/c that's what the breeder had been feeding him but I too will transition him to a better quality food soon. I'm thinking of either Fromm or Canidae...still trying to decide.

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
I also just switched Diesel to Fromm Surf and Turf. I don't think he has any allergies, but I am just not willing to find out! He quit his old food on his own (taking it out of the bowl and only eating the new food)...and he loves it! I haven't seen or noticed many issues and there has been a lot less gas...which is VERy nice!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
After trying 3 other foods, we finally switched our bully Frank to Fromm when he was 6 mos. He is 10 mos now. We have learned that he does much better on a grain-free food and that he can't tolerate lamb. So he gets Fromm Surf n Turf and Fromm Beef Frittata. He usually gets 3/4 cup 3x a day along with frozen veggies or blueberries. I think sometimes it can be a bit trial and error to find a good food for your bully. There are quite a few good brands that bully parents have found success with on here. Good luck!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Any of the Four Star Fromm formulas are great. If you find she has allergies, watery eyes, excessive itching and paw licking, etc I'd stick with their 2 grain free formulas, Surf & Turf and Beef Frittata. She should only need about 1.5-2 cups a day of the Fromm, each formulas has a different protein level so more protein less you have to feed so amount depends on the formula and the pup. Some pups need more than others based on activity level and stuff like that. Samson gained weight when I fed him 2 cups a day of the surf & turf so I dropped him down to 1.5 cups. I would feed twice a day, I feed my Samson once in the morning (3/4 cup) once in the evening (3/4 cup). Good luck on the food change! Do the switch slowly!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am also using Fromm Beef Frittata. I suspect Gator has allergy issues (acne, tear stains, interdigital cysts) but I have not tried to pinpoint what it is he is allergic to. Instead I just put him on grain free (no more gas!) and chicken free to cover the two most common allergens and it is working great. I also feed 2xs a day. Once first thing in the morning and once at night at about 5:30pm. I give 1.5 cups per serving since he is still young (only 7.5 months) and has a very high activity level. I add in frozen veggies sometimes when he is still snuffling around for food after he finishes the Fromm.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] do you have before and after pics?? If so I would love to publish an article about it :up:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Well, the Fromm came in today, and she seemed to like it! :)

[MENTION=2363]Wlw9x[/MENTION] Just remember to switch SLOWLY because bulldogs are so sensitive when it comes to their stomachs. I usually take about 10 days to switch mine .. gradually increasing by about 1/4 cup every three days.

Fromm is a wonderful food ... and if you went ahead with the 4* range then that is the best that they have. Stay with the same food and flavour for at least a month because that's how long it truly takes to get into their sytem. Unless of course you see any immediate signs of reaction. Once you have her fully on the Fromm 4* you can switch between the flavors/protein sources which is better for them. There are a lot of bulldogs who have allergic reactions to chicken (although not all!!!!) so when you decide to try the chicken just keep a close eye on how she reacts to it.

After saying all that .... good job, and give us lots of updates!!! Nutrition is so important in bulldogs and any input you have would be so useful to us and all the new people who join after you!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.