Help!!!

Zulma

Feb 17, 2011
Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
I'm a new mommy of an EB puppy of 5 months, when I first got him the seller told me that his was feeding him Puppy Chow, but I should look for a better food. Ok! and since then I have tried Pro Plan, Blue but from what I have read here and from his :poo: its not working.

I have to say that I live in Puerto Rico and until recently (petsmart open first store) most of brands that I have read are the best cant be brought here.

And believe me Zeus, stinks and his :poo: OMG! and after his feed up to 4 times :nonono:, today I'm going to start on the AVODERM, because from the list of 5 best foods posted here its the only one that is sold here in PR.

Any other recomendations why he does so much :poo:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I sure hope the Avoderm works for you with such a limited variety to choose from.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Avoderm is a good food so if you can only get that one off the list then I would def. go with it. I think it is the fillers in the cheaper foods that cause so much extra :poo: and the runs also. Switching to the avoderm should help I would think. If you are having problems with the runnyness in the meantime you can give 1 Tbsp of canned pumpkin (if you can find it) a day and that will help get it under control. Make sure when you do the food changes you do it slowly also cuz their tummys tend to not handle fast changes and it will make them gassy and runny as well. Welcome by the way and congrats on your baby. Pics please. :)

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Yes, just like [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] said, make the change very slow. Have his :poo: always been frequent and runny? Is the color okay or kind of yellow or grayish? If he has never had a good :poo:, let me know. I may have some insight.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi in PR,
Well certainly you know that gas is one of the common conditions in a EBD. BUT, depending on the quality of the food you are feeding, as well as any snack, you can minimize gas to almost nothing. ALMOST. The approach to finding the best dog food takes time. What you are looking for in a dog food is the best product, that produces positive results for your dog, conditions you can live with and at the price you are willing to pay.
On another link on this site is a listing of dog foods ranked by users. You do NOT have to just go with a 5 star brand just because it is a 5 star. There are many 4 and a few 3 that work well also. But certianly most everyone will agree that what you were origianally feeding was NOT the best choice.
Many and most Bullies are allergic to Chicken and grain items. Bullies also have a very sensative stomach, rude digestive system and are known for producing horrible gas. There are many very good brands that are chicken or grain free that work well.

The other important item to be aware of, is how you switch over to the new food. Swtich over slowly. ANYTIME YOU SWITCH food, do it over a process of a week. or you will make things even worse with the GI, stomach, gas and poo. Mix slowly and add more of new and less of old over the course of a week. (eg: 90%old/10%new, 80/20, 70/30, 60/40, 50/50, 40/60, 30/70, 20/80, 10 old /90new).

As you start to swtich over, watch the stool volume and texture. (gross huh?).

As for the amount of :poo:, feed less.

Bulldogs ALWAYS are hungry so don't over feed or else you get an overfat doggie.

G'day~

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can not add ANYTHING to what everybody else has said before me.... excellent advice!!:up:

OP
Zulma

Zulma

Feb 17, 2011
Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Thank you all! for your advice and yes I have been very careful introducing him to new foods as I would a baby and Zeus to me is my baby. He is not over weight but not under either. But I must confess he is like the vacumm sweeper and when my grand daughter comes by I watch like a hawk becuse she crazy about him and he of her and she will give him everything even her bottle.

OP
Zulma

Zulma

Feb 17, 2011
Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Candelaria-20110306-00288.jpgZeus.jpgCandelaria-20110311-00306.jpgHere are pic of my Zeus

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Very cute pictures Zeus is a doll :heart:, and believe me I went through it, not only will his :poo: get better, SO WILL HIS SMELL!! That is why I did research and found this site because Vegas STUNK so bad!! A new food and within 2 weeks, no more stinky bully.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Zeus is BEAUTIFUL! I am glad you are enjoying him. The advice given by others is excellent and I am sure you will find a food that you can buy in PR that will work for him. Welcome to EBN!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He's a doll! Thank you for the smile :)

Most Reactions