Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: tear stains & chewing on paws

the vet can give you some hydroxyzine also if you find you need something that lasts longer than the benadryl. also i believe you can use claritin although i havent tried that one and some use zyrtec but havent tried that one either. just some more choices in case you need it.

Wrinkle Wiper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella and Cali
    Likes (Received)

We just did the switch over from our food also. They seem to be doing a little better.
    we are in Texas and allergies due to pollen is another source. let us know how the outcome goes.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yeah, as everyone has said, it could be food or seasonal allergies. We have Gator on Fromm Beef Frittata and a lot of his issues cleared up. Then the weather changed and goopy eyes and tear stains are BACK. Blech. I have tried Benedryl. Gator is 50 lbs or so and I only gave him one 25mg a day and it knocked him out. I mean he almost looked doped up all day. I didn't give it to him today but I am going to try Zyrtec to see how that goes.

Good luck and hope you can figure it out so your baby can be more comfortable!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

gator sarah is 47 pounds and a whole 25mg benadryl would knock her out to so i give only 1/2 pill in the morning and 1/2 in the evening and she seems ok with that. just something to try if the zyrtec doesnt work out.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bernadette
    Likes (Received)

hi korikelly -- the goopy eyes and chewing feet are definately food alergies -- i have a 1 yr old female bulldog named beranette and we have just started her on raw food diet -- this is day three and she started with goopy eyes smelly breath red face and neck and scratching -- did not have to wipe her eyes today she has not chewed her paws since the first day her breath doesnt stink and i can get close to her again and we have been through the ringer with foods, vet prescriptions etc you name it this is having the best results so far will keep you posted.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear things are working out well for you and Bernadette ... oh and to you both

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh thats so good to hear.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NJBullyMommy View Post
    This def works! Pollen counts all over are insane and Benedryl def helped my pup soooo much with the sneezing, runny nose and eyes!
    I have to believe that Dublin who has the same issues is due to seasonal allergies ( though this whole year has turned into a "season") We have gone down the whole food route and it didnt' change anything. Her vet is on board with that also. She gets 1 1/2 Benedryl twice a day. One just wasn't doing it. She is 46lb. Now if I took that amount of Benedryl I would be comatose but it doesn't do that to her at all. I tried zyrtec and didn't have as much luck. So much with our Bullies is trial and error...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads