JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm trying canned pure pumpkin to hopefully cure Wilson's :poo: habit. I have to give it to all my dogs? My senior is almost 13 about 60lbs and Jack is 5 month and 27lbs. Wilson's 16 weeks at 24.7lbs.

How much do I give them, 1tlbs, 2, etc. They love it too. They've had it for two full days now and today it seemed to work. He sniffed his fav. pile and turned away, of course the word "leave it" he knows well.

Thanks all :)

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
give them each about 2 tbs with each meal make sure it is with every meal so all the :poo: is icky . I hope this works. If not I do have some other suggestions. We deal with this a lot at work.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
give them each about 2 tbs with each meal make sure it is with every meal so all the :poo: is icky . I hope this works. If not I do have some other suggestions. We deal with this a lot at work.

I would be interested in hearing some other suggestions. None of mine eat poo but we have only had Gigi a few days so I don't know about her. Lucy did it when she was small but she grew out of it.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, we've been under giving them it. I've been doing it twice a day too for the morning poopers and evening poopers. I'm so hoping he grows out of this.....

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hopefully after using the pumpkin for so long they will just learn their poo is no good for snack time. I dont know if this happens for everyone, but after giving samson canned pumpkin for a while it gave him the runs :( has anyone else experienced this?

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Pumpkin will cause this if they eat too much. It is full of fiber so it really gets things moving so to speak. You can also kind of counter this will a little yogurt or just cut back on the pumpkin.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Some other options to stop poop eating are to make a shake can ( soda can filed with pennies , screws taped closed very well ). Hide so that your pup can't see you , and throw it at them ( not hitting them just near them to scare them) anytime you see them starting to eat poop. You have to watch them every time they go out for a few days, as you have to catch them EVERY TIME .This way they won't associate you with the can. It scares them and makes them stop eating poop. If done right they will think this things comes flying out of nowhere anytime they try and eat poop and will not learn just to eat it even when you aren't around. You can also get a remote spray collar . It sprays citronella with the push of a button on the remote, this is done the same way as the shake can , you have to make them think you aren't watching. There are also more labor intensive training methods but the ones mentioned usually have excellent results and don't take too much time.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Does anybody know if it's safe to give pumpkin to the cat ..... it's his poop that Daddy likes to eat!!!! :confused:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
no ideas on the cat. Thankfully we havent had to deal with the poo eating, my gosh. Its always something with these pups isnt it?! lol

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] Some other options to stop poop eating are to make a shake can ( soda can filed with pennies , screws taped closed very well ). Hide so that your pup can't see you , and throw it at them ( not hitting them just near them to scare them) anytime you see them starting to eat poop. You have to watch them every time they go out for a few days, as you have to catch them EVERY TIME .This way they won't associate you with the can. It scares them and makes them stop eating poop. If done right they will think this things comes flying out of nowhere anytime they try and eat poop and will not learn just to eat it even when you aren't around. You can also get a remote spray collar . It sprays citronella with the push of a button on the remote, this is done the same way as the shake can , you have to make them think you aren't watching. There are also more labor intensive training methods but the ones mentioned usually have excellent results and don't take too much time.

Thank you for the extra tips! You never know when they might come in handy :)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hopefully after using the pumpkin for so long they will just learn their poo is no good for snack time. I dont know if this happens for everyone, but after giving samson canned pumpkin for a while it gave him the runs :( has anyone else experienced this?

yes we can only give Duke pumpkin for a limited amount of time as well? if too long he gets the runs:confused:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] throw it at them ( not hitting them just near them to scare them) anytime you see them starting to eat poop.
I'm afraid that wouldn't work for me, I don't always have the best aim. :D He knows when we're watching though. Jury's still out if the pumpkin is working for him or not since he will still eat it. He's getting better but we have to watch him constantly. I have one can of pumpkin left and can't find it anywhere in the stores here due to the shortage.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
try a spray collar. Even if you cannot throw the point of the can is to startle him with the loud noise not hit him with it. try to hide just inside the door maybe or watch him out the window, this works best with the spray collar.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update: Wilson's vet today said to go back to Adolfs meat tenderizer and give all dogs 2tsps per feeding. I'll report back with an update in a week or so.

Thanks Everyone! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.