will this pass?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I saw a show about setting up a worm bin using dog poo. The by-product is rich, non-smelly, compost for garden and plants. I'm seriously thinking about giving this a shot.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I saw a show about setting up a worm bin using dog poo. The by-product is rich, non-smelly, compost for garden and plants. I'm seriously thinking about giving this a shot.

VERY interesting...I guess I can find info if I google that? I posted the question about the doggy dooley on another board (I'm new, can't remember which one) :bang:
but I get email notices of responses. I've only had two, so I guess there aren't too many people who are using this method.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=2062]love jelly[/MENTION] Here is a site with some kits I was looking at Worm Bins I have also read that it does not work well to mix other organics with poo... just poo.

Here is a home-made option:

Kelly Slocum (worm queen extraordinaire) says to get a rubbermaid kitchen garbage can (doesn't matter, as long as the lid fits tight), cut the bottom off and bury it about 2 feet in the ground in an out of the way part of your yard.
Put in some garden soil, hay or straw, some compost, and then add the poop. As you add poop, make sure you add dead leaves or straw to balance the mix. The worms will come!
Just make sure you do NOT use the byproduct on any edible plants (no matter how black and rich it is!).

To add to this home-made method, from what I learned from the TV show, adding anything to the poo is not necessary, but you should keep a cover of newspaper over the poo and keep moist.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I put it in plastic grocery bags and then in the trash can in the garage. It actually doesn't stink the place up but don't know about having TWO dogs's poop out there in the summer....might get stinky. lol

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
ohhhh....stinky poo.
Cow manure is bad enough but not nearly as bad.
Not for me, pass, thank you. No
:*(

Members online

No members online now.