will this pass?

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
On the advice of the Vet, I'm in the process of switching Jelly to Wellness whitefish and sweet potato food...this is day 2 and she has so much .... gas .... seriously it's hard to be in the same room with her. :eek:
Is this just her digestive tract getting used to the new diet? Will this pass? ...no pun intended.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Alot of pups get an upset stomach when you change their food so it may pass. Make sure you are doing the switch slowly, that will help reduce the gas, any loose stools. BUT I have heard alot of members here say they had alot of issues with gas and loose stool when their pups were on Wellness so maybe it won't pass??????? Since it has only been 2 days I would say that isn't long enough to know so wait it out for a bit.

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
Alot of pups get an upset stomach when you change their food so it may pass. Make sure you are doing the switch slowly, that will help reduce the gas, any loose stools. BUT I have heard alot of members here say they had alot of issues with gas and loose stool when their pups were on Wellness so maybe it won't pass??????? Since it has only been 2 days I would say that isn't long enough to know so wait it out for a bit.

Great...glad I bought a small bag. I may be mixing too much of the new food with the old, I'll cut back tomorrow and go more slowly. I have high hopes for this food!
Thanks for the info! ;)

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne 587.jpgI just switched Daphne's food to Wellness and she is having all those same symptoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Maybe it is the food but it usually takes a couple weeks or longer to know how they take to the new food. Yes switch slowly. At first 1 part new to like 3 parts old for a couple days then step it up to half and half and so on. Some pups have stronger stomachs than others. I usually find myself over excited to start their new food early so my boys always get a LONG transition time which works out well for them I think too. haha

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
I am very hopeful that Wellness will take care of the allergy issues we are dealing with...licking paws, gunk in her eyes, and shedding. The Vet recommended this food. I really think that I was giving her too much of the new food in her old food, (I too Cali-Jean am anxious to see if the new food well solve our problems) today I'm cutting back to 3/4 old and 1/4 new. Besides the gas, she had loose stools. We'll see how it goes today. She hasn't eaten yet, she's a slow starter in the morning...Zzzz actually she's ALWAYS a slow starter! HA! Hang in there with Daphne, hopefully this gassy problem will work itself out. I'll give it a month before I surrender.
There is one other thing that I wonder about...if you don't know my "backstory" Jelly came to me from my daughter in Nov. '10...she was transferred to ATL and we all felt she'd be better off here. (West coast of Florida) I've never had a dog before, so this question will sound strange I'm sure. I probably need to ask this on another board and I'll probably do that...but I'll throw it out here too.
WHAT do you do with the poop? Is it ok to put it in the trash to be taken to the landfill? And doesn't that make your garbage can reek? Sorry for that question so early in the AM!
Good day to everyone!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I am very hopeful that Wellness will take care of the allergy issues we are dealing with...licking paws, gunk in her eyes, and shedding. The Vet recommended this food. I really think that I was giving her too much of the new food in her old food, (I too Cali-Jean am anxious to see if the new food well solve our problems) today I'm cutting back to 3/4 old and 1/4 new. Besides the gas, she had loose stools. We'll see how it goes today. She hasn't eaten yet, she's a slow starter in the morning...Zzzz actually she's ALWAYS a slow starter! HA! Hang in there with Daphne, hopefully this gassy problem will work itself out. I'll give it a month before I surrender.
There is one other thing that I wonder about...if you don't know my "backstory" Jelly came to me from my daughter in Nov. '10...she was transferred to ATL and we all felt she'd be better off here. (West coast of Florida) I've never had a dog before, so this question will sound strange I'm sure. I probably need to ask this on another board and I'll probably do that...but I'll throw it out here too.
WHAT do you do with the poop? Is it ok to put it in the trash to be taken to the landfill? And doesn't that make your garbage can reek? Sorry for that question so early in the AM!
Good day to everyone!

I think you are on the right track now with the 3/4old to 1/4 new for a few days before going to 1/2 of each for a few followed by 1/4 old to 3/4 new.
About poop disposal.... this is the first dog I have had as well and we are scooping it up in a plastic grocery bag and putting it in the garbage. There is a barrel Ive seen for sale that you bury in the ground and put the poop in there and it decomposes. I have no idea how well it works (or stinks) the that is another option. Maybe some others will have some ideas on this.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think you are on the right track now with the 3/4old to 1/4 new for a few days before going to 1/2 of each for a few followed by 1/4 old to 3/4 new.
About poop disposal.... this is the first dog I have had as well and we are scooping it up in a plastic grocery bag and putting it in the garbage. There is a barrel Ive seen for sale that you bury in the ground and put the poop in there and it decomposes. I have no idea how well it works (or stinks) the that is another option. Maybe some others will have some ideas on this.

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...wow..it's like 630 am here in California..and once again I am thinking of poo before breakfast!! Lol..we had one of those in ground disposal systems that decomposes. It does work! Think it was called doggie doolie or something close to that! You do have to add an additive once in awhile..no biggie. It was already installed in a previous house's yard..never replaced when we moved. Now..I hope this has NOT been the highlite of my day!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We put ours in bags and put in the wastecan. With stinky diapers in the mix, it is smelly anyway. I am interested in this waste thingy tho, is it something you can buy and install?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We put ours in bags and put in the wastecan. With stinky diapers in the mix, it is smelly anyway. I am interested in this waste thingy tho, is it something you can buy and install?

Hi [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..yes..it's called doggie Dooley..not very expensive..works like a leech field. I have seen them online and like I said..we inherited one in a home we had..we had 2 dobies and it worked fine! I don't really know why we never replaced it at new house..bet you can find info online..

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne 027.jpgOMG Daphne pooped so much today it's just insane!!!!!!!!!! we put it in a plastic bag and then in the garbage can

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi~
I agree with the process of switching. I am also a LONG transition person. I take at least a week to switch. 2 feedings a day and each feeding is about 10% more of one and 10% less (90/10, 80/20,70/30, 60/40, 50/50,40/60, etc). As has been posted it is also very imporant to look at the poo closely (not to close...) and watch for the condition. After you have switched over, it might still take up to 2-3 weeks to have the GI adjust to the new food. Check out the other the other forums and look at the complete list of dog food listing and grading that has been posted.
Because each Bullie is different, you will have to find out what works for YOUR dog. Many EBD are sensitive to chicken and grain products, but not all.
You might also consider adding green beans, carrots, low fat yogurt or cottage cheese to add more fiber and culture.
Good Day~

OP
love jelly

love jelly

Mar 20, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Angelica (aka JELLY)
She did way better today...no runny stool and no gas! I def. was stingy with the new food, no more than 1/4 cup of the new food with 3/4 old food. So I think we're on the right track. I do add a little more than a teaspoon of plain yogurt to her food. She seemed to be doing really well on the chicken and rice and then all of a sudden she started with the eye boogers. The vet said she had probably developed an allergy to the chicken and rice, hence the whitefish and sweet potato.
I'll check out the doggie dooly on amazon, that sounds like it would work. My daugher also suggested getting a diaper genie from a consignment shop...just put the poopy in a plastic bag and put it in the genie...I just don't want to deal with the smell when it has to be emptied in the trash, and it will need to be emptied at some point! I need to do something...I know my lawn guy is not appreciating the land mines all over the lawn... :angry:

Thanks to everyone for all your suggestions...

I'm also going to post this question (about the doggie dooley) on another board to see if anyone else has had any experience with it....they do have it on amazon. Several different styles, right around $50 (avg.)

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We have a lot of clay instead of soil here. When reading up on the doggie dooley it said it might not work very well in clay soil, that's the main reason we didn't get one. We'd have to dig such a huge hole and replace with dirt that isn't clay that it would be cost.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.