To switch or not to switch?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
So, ruckus has been on Fromm for about 7 months now. We have tried the different flavors. His favorite was the duck, but his face got terrible with it. Nasty rusty red, stinky, and terrible tear stains. Now he's not crazy about any of the flavors. Just started chicken and he doesn't even want to eat it. I can't get his tear stains and shedding controlled like they were. Today I bought the grain free beef. I'm thinking if this doesn't do the trick I may need another brand? My next choice would be natures logic, but it's not too easy to find. Has anyone heard of or used earthborn??

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm not going to be much help here as we have Maggie and Daddy on Fromm. Maggie has a sensitivity to chicken and reacted badly to the chicken n vegetable flavour. All the other flavours have a slight amount of chicken in and that doesn't seem to bother her. As I'm sure you already know the Beef Frittata is grain free AND chicken free. The Fromm surf n Turf is grain free but still has small amounts of chicken in. We tried the Beef frittata purely because we wanted to switch up the protein. It was purely by accident that we discovered the two grain free flavours actually take Daddy's horrendously smelley gas away. So we're sticking with the beef and the surf n turf for the most part.

Alot of people on here have found their bullies have the same reaction to duck as they do to chicken. I'll be interested to hear how he does on the Beef.

Have you checked out Petflow?? A lot of us use them for delivery of our dog food, and that could really help your decision of what food to use because you won't be limited by whether it is available near you or not.

OP
Piamitch

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ok ruckus just scarfed down the beef.LOL. I'm wondering if he is chicken sensitive. Which would explain his face not clearing up all the way. I really do like Fromm, and hope it's just a matter of finding the right variety

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Ok ruckus just scarfed down the beef.LOL. I'm wondering if he is chicken sensitive. Which would explain his face not clearing up all the way. I really do like Fromm, and hope it's just a matter of finding the right variety

Yay ... it will take a few weeks to really get into his system so don't give up on the beef too soon!! Let's hope it is as simple as a grain and chicken allergy that can be so easily dealt with just by using the Beef frittata!! :up:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
If I were you I wouldn't switch from Fromm all together I would just try sticking with the grain free formulas for a while, the Beef Frittata or Surf & Turf. My Samson does not do well on chicken but the small amount of chicken in the surf & turf did not bother him. It is going to take a while for Ruckus to clear up after he has tried a food that didn't sit well with him. Samson is on Natures Variety Instinct right now, we were doing the salmon formula for a while which he has always done great on then we tried the duck and turkey and he had a bad reaction. His eyes were watering like crazy which gave him nasty tear stains, he was scratching his face alot, he looked bad! The cause of that wasn't Natures Variety in general just that formula, he doesn't do well on chicken and since turkey is real similiar to chicken I think it was the turkey that gave him problems. He is back on the salmon now but it took over a month for his face to clear up, so sad!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
yep I agree try the grain free flavors and see how that sits with him. With bullies it is all hit and miss. Just because fromm is a great food doesnt mean it is the best food for your baby. It is such a challenge finding what works for your pup. Just keep at it. One thing I wish I had done over the years is make a note of each food and the reason why I changed. I have gone thru so many now with Cutty being 5 and cannot remember most of the reasons I changed so in reality I didnt learn from my mistakes as easily if I had.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have tried both the pork and applesauce and the beef frittata and on the beef, gator's stains started to go away. But, I ran out of the beef and the store was out so we are finishing up the pork. They should have the beef back in on Saturday and if not, I will order it.

I would stick to that for a bit and see how it goes. Both our dogs LOVE both the beef and the pork. They come running every time I open the food cabinet.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
It is trial and error, we finally got it right with grain free Salmon from NVI, Vegas was also chicken sensitive. It makes you want to pull your hair out trying to find the right food. Stick with the grain free, I seen a difference within 5 weeks with Vegas.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.