help from those who switched to NVI..please

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
. ...... His poop could break a window it is so hard. .....

Wondering how Kelly discovered this ... .having images of Kelly picking up poop and throwing it at windows ... :lol:

[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] SO glad to hear that everything is now ok!!! :up:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Hi im new here and I was not sure wether to start a new thread or post here. I have a bully to that has a yeast problem and is currently on Taste of the Wild as ive heard that bullys do well with it but I didnt think i should because of the potatoes. Shes been on so many foods and has some food allergies so i was at a loss as to where to go next. Well as usual she seemed to do well but now still has some allergies and im not sure its the food or summertime. It was recomended to me by a lady in the store I go to to try Instinct as it has alot of meat and would help her yeast. I am now ready to try it but it is not recomended by the yeast site as a good choice because of the tapioca. has anyone used this for a bulldog with yeast? I was also looking at canine caviar. Its hard as she seems to do better off grains and they are not recomended for yeast. Can anyone help me?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You are always welcome to start your own topic :)

I would try NVI, especially if you are having yeast problems. :). Give it 3-6 weeks for results. Sometimes the results are faster tho! Switch foods slowly so you don't upset bully's tummy :)

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi im new here and I was not sure wether to start a new thread or post here. I have a bully to that has a yeast problem and is currently on Taste of the Wild as ive heard that bullys do well with it but I didnt think i should because of the potatoes. Shes been on so many foods and has some food allergies so i was at a loss as to where to go next. Well as usual she seemed to do well but now still has some allergies and im not sure its the food or summertime. It was recomended to me by a lady in the store I go to to try Instinct as it has alot of meat and would help her yeast. I am now ready to try it but it is not recomended by the yeast site as a good choice because of the tapioca. has anyone used this for a bulldog with yeast? I was also looking at canine caviar. Its hard as she seems to do better off grains and they are not recomended for yeast. Can anyone help me?

oh I feel for you.. duke has allergies as well. We switched from DVP duck and potato to NVI beef formula ( we had a little glitch ) Duke decided to pass a toy in the interem of doing this but he has been on this new food for two weeks now. Coat is silky and he is very energentic.. I would try it but like they said do it SLOWLY ( changing over )

also do you give benadryl or zrtec.. we give Duke zrtec to keep his allergies at bay.. Good Luck to you and welcome to the site!! :up:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh I feel for you.. duke has allergies as well. We switched from DVP duck and potato to NVI beef formula ( we had a little glitch ) Duke decided to pass a toy in the interem of doing this but he has been on this new food for two weeks now. Coat is silky and he is very energentic.. I would try it but like they said do it SLOWLY ( changing over )

also do you give benadryl or zrtec.. we give Duke zrtec to keep his allergies at bay.. Good Luck to you and welcome to the site!! :up:
yes i have been giving her benadryl but had to take her to the vet recently and she gave me some antihistamine so ive been using that. she has been scratching her belly and ear seems to be trying to get red so i have taken her off the totw food and she is now on royal canin bulldog 24 till i can get to the store and get the instinct. I hate to switch her so quick but was afraid she could get worse and she has been on rc before for very brief periods and has been ok. may leave her on rc for a few days let her settle a bit and then start the transition to intinct. thanks so much for the support here its nice to talk to people who have been in my shoes with there bullys. will post a pic as soon as i can get to other puter to shrink one down to put on profile. Oh and in no way am i saying totw is bad food just didnt work out for my bully.

Last edited:
OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
yes i have been giving her benadryl but had to take her to the vet recently and she gave me some antihistamine so ive been using that. she has been scratching her belly and ear seems to be trying to get red so i have taken her off the totw food and she is now on royal canin bulldog 24 till i can get to the store and get the instinct. I hate to switch her so quick but was afraid she could get worse and she has been on rc before for very brief periods and has been ok. may leave her on rc for a few days let her settle a bit and then start the transition to intinct. thanks so much for the support here its nice to talk to people who have been in my shoes with there bullys. will post a pic as soon as i can get to other puter to shrink one down to put on profile. Oh and in no way am i saying totw is bad food just didnt work out for my bully.
just wanted to mention the other thing I learned the hard way also is giving the food more time.. I was told when you do a food trial to give it 6 weeks.
do you clean your Bully's ears? We got aloe ear wash from our vet and we religiously clean Dukes ears once a week if not they get so filled with gunk and he will scratch and pull at them?
just a suggestion. can't wait to see some pictures!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
just wanted to mention the other thing I learned the hard way also is giving the food more time.. I was told when you do a food trial to give it 6 weeks.
do you clean your Bully's ears? We got aloe ear wash from our vet and we religiously clean Dukes ears once a week if not they get so filled with gunk and he will scratch and pull at them?
just a suggestion. can't wait to see some pictures!
yes i clean her ears the vet gave me some ear cleaner after one visit with yeast in the ears.
well what i didnt say is that her ears were fine since i took her off grains like a month and 1/2 ago no problems. still had some tail pocket issues and her pads were completely covered with yeast and redness inbetween and shes had 2 cysts on each front food forever. well i changed her food to totw and all was well for like 2 weeks with the help of benadryl. her yeast on pads was clearing up and her hair on back was growing back and then like a month into the food she started having scratch marks on one teet and her ear was getting red like it does at the start of yeast and the reason i had to take her to the vet was her booty was bleading from a pollup and was all red and swollen. i think it was yeast in her booty. also her pads started to get yeast again and the redness between the pads was getting worse. thats why i pulled her off suddenly and shes doing alot better now. problems clearing up. dont know if its the antibiotics or the rc bulldog food. has anyone else used royal canin bulldog 24. ive used it before for short periods and she seems to get better when i do then i read its not good food so i take her off but nothing else seems to make her get better like that. maybe i should just leave her on it? any thoughts as to if i should try instinct or leave her on rc.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I personally would switch to the instinct.. ( we have done this with duke)... ironically everything you are describing we went through with Duke.. it was awful.. finally we had him allergy tested. the vet was floored but he has no food allergies.. he is allergic to wool and mold. So we got rid of all the wool blankets in our home and now we just try to keep the itchies at bay.. We take Duke to a dermatologist. We tried allergy shots as well with no success. Duke takes a very low dose steriod every other day and zrtec but we are weaning him off. We switched to the instinct for reasons other than it being grain free .. it is so much better for his immune system. his coat feels like silk, bowels are great now.. and what i have noticed is his face and wrinkles are really clear. Now today we took him to the park and the pollen here is awful. he came home and was " butt spinning" with the itchies so we just try to distract him. i know how frustrating it is.. maybe you will want to have your dog allergy tested? once we got rid of the wool Duke never had swollen paws again? just a thought..

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes I have thought of getting her allergy tested. Even asked the vet last time I was there Tues as a matter of fact about where to get her tested. Ive said to people that Im just spinning my wheels trying to figure out what shes allergic to and Im thinking its not just food allergies I believe she has some food and maybe seasonal but who knows? Its so expensive thought isnt it? But Ive been heading that way as Im sure alot of bully owners have already done it or are considering it.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I'll add a few things here cowsmom that you may want to add to all of the great advice you are getting here. One thing babyduke's Mom helped me with trying to get my Lucy's allergies under control is keeping a diary. It sounds a little wacky, but you may be giving your pup something that is causing a flare that you just are not aware of. Potato and tapioca are things to avoid in food especially with yeast--but we uncovered that Lucy had a beef allergy by using a food diary. We had to eliminate using heartgard (beef flavored) because we could look at her diary to pin point the culprit. It was amazing--she would have a reaction to the Heartgard almost two hours after the dose. If I didn't keep a diary it would have taken me so much longer to put two and two together.

If you are not already doing so you may want to get into a good routine of wiping the pups feet and belly after they come inside from a romp in the grass and dirt outside. If you are unsure what the culprit is (food or enviroment) the extra effort in keeping the dog clean and dry will help. Also, I keep Lucy's bedding in her crate clean and I change it every couple of days. I only use dye free, fragrance free detergent. Since we know Lucy is allergic to one of the culprits is dust mites (and the little bugger sleeps in our bed) I lay a clean king size sheet over my bedding. I also switch that out every couple of days too. Sounds like a lot of work--but once you get in to a routine it isn't too bad.

I can't remember what the allergy testing cost but I think it was around $200.00. I did not have the food allergy testing done because we (my vet and I) were pretty confident that we had determined what foods Lucy was allergic to by doing the elimination diet.

Good luck to you--allergies are really NO fun!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online