help from those who switched to NVI..please

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi everyone...
so you all know the story of Duke.. he was on DVP Duck and potato for over a year did well with it.. had him allergy tested NO food allergies.. so after joining here and reading the info and also by the suggestion of many of you I did switch Duke over to NVI for the many benefits he was not getting with DVP.. ok so as I did this.. Duke had to go the ER because he was in the process of passing a toy! ( for the love of God ! this dog :bang:)
that is all under control.. been two weeks now.. I kept him on the bland diet for over a week ( solid poops ).. slowly added back in the NVI ( beef formula ) now mind you his coat is so soft and Duke has so much energy and is feeling well. BUT as I increased just by a 1/4 cup so he is still getting almost a cup of white rice and 1/2 cup NVI he got really runny poops again? as soon as I cut the rice back a little he gets the runs??

any suggestions??

thank you so much for your help..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think he is probably full of rice..... I never really thought about that but perhaps since you have been going bland so long there is just too much rice in his system?

Hmmm..... let me think about this one. Perhaps 1/2 rice and 1/2 kibble would be enough. I feel so bad for you, you have gone through a food switch nightmare. It should never be this difficult. I think Duke is just very sensitive in his tummy like my Jesse was. :(

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
aww thank you .. I just don't want to give up ? I am convinced that this food is so much better. My husband is so frustrated of course says just put him back on the DVP but no no no..
do you think maybe I should try the duck NVI since he did so well on this with the DVP? I am just sooooo confused.. not sure if the rice is too much or he is irritated by the beef?

he is great though? very energetic and happy and seems fine so I am not worried .. just feel bad about the runs?

and of course don't want to keep him on rice too much longer?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How runny was his poo? Liquid, soft serve, or a hard chunk with a mess at the end?

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson did very well on the chicken which I know is odd. But when I switched to the rabbit flavour he got the runs :( . Its weird tho. Poop always solid in morning and second poop later is runny.
Sorry I am of no help. Just thought I'd let you know your not alone on this one!

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Samson did very well on the chicken which I know is odd. But when I switched to the rabbit flavour he got the runs :( . Its weird tho. Poop always solid in morning and second poop later is runny.
Sorry I am of no help. Just thought I'd let you know your not alone on this one!

thanks .. I find this too morning is better and later in the day more mushy?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
some are normal with mess at the end but yesterday and today soft serve.. Not pure liquid.

also wanted to add not sure if makes a difference.. he has been on antibiotic for the past ten days ( when we took him to ER they put him on this just to be safe after he passed the toy)
today was last dose. not sure if this will make a difference as well.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Just my opinion, I too think it might be the rice, Vegas is on NVI only Salmon, rice is a grain and he has a grain allergy although if he was to get ill I would do the bland diet. The ONLY flavor of NVI that he does well on is the Salmon, since I discovered through trial and error he is sensitive to chicken, so I won't even try the Duck since it is still poultry. He is 2 yrs. old and gets one cup in the morning and one at night. His poop could break a window it is so hard. Occasionally he will have a little runny for no reason at all but MOST of the time it is rock hard. Maybe take the rice away all together??? You have been through it all with poor Duke I hope he gets straightened out soon. Besides the runny poop does he act OK otherwise? Is he smellly or itchy? Good Luck and keep us updated.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
also wanted to add not sure if makes a difference.. he has been on antibiotic for the past ten days ( when we took him to ER they put him on this just to be safe after he passed the toy)
today was last dose. not sure if this will make a difference as well.

[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], Ohhhh that explains alot! Vegas had the runs bad when he was on an antibiotic, I didn't think anything of it since I do the same exact thing when I was on one also!! :yes: My guess is that is exactly why Duke has the runs. When will he be done with it? I would cut out the rice and just do NVI (my opinion) I bet anything it is the meds doing that to him.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], Ohhhh that explains alot! Vegas had the runs bad when he was on an antibiotic, I didn't think anything of it since I do the same exact thing when I was on one also!! :yes: My guess is that is exactly why Duke has the runs. When will he be done with it? I would cut out the rice and just do NVI (my opinion) I bet anything it is the meds doing that to him.

he took his last dose today! thank you for your input :) I really appreciate it.. I am going to try to cut the rice out and see what happens..

and ps.. I was hysterical laughing about his "poop being so hard it could break a window" ha ha ha !! need that:lol:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
he took his last dose today! thank you for your input :) I really appreciate it.. I am going to try to cut the rice out and see what happens..

and ps.. I was hysterical laughing about his "poop being so hard it could break a window" ha ha ha !! need that:lol:

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] you really do have a way with words, always crack me up!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
UPDATE
Well day two of being off antibiotic and eliminated rice completely .. He is 100% NVI formula and we have day 2 of solid poops!!!!!!

thank you so much everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
UPDATE
Well day two of being off antibiotic and eliminated rice completely .. He is 100% NVI formula and we have day 2 of solid poops!!!!!!

thank you so much everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:up:

That's sooo great to hear! :) I'm glad Duke is doing well. Keep us posted on how he does allergy wise!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.