My dogs shedding like crazyšŸ˜­

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
So Iā€™ve had my dog for 4 months now, heā€™s 6 months old heā€™s been on RC since he was with the breeder, he recently stopped wanting to eat it, like heā€™s not even enthusiastic like how he used to be he just smells it and walks away, heā€™s never been like that at all and I think heā€™s so over the food, I also noticed heā€™s been shedding so much, like to the point where heā€™s half laying on me and Iā€™m petting him and his hair is flying on my faceā€¦ he has a vet appointment on 7/12 and Iā€™m gonna talk to vet but I wanna switch his food I know he doesnā€™t like it anymore.. he doesnā€™t eat people food either other than an occasional treat like watermelon, apples, blueberries and baby broccoli.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My dogs shedding like crazy[emoji24]

So Iā€™ve had my dog for 4 months now, heā€™s 6 months old heā€™s been on RC since he was with the breeder, he recently stopped wanting to eat it, like heā€™s not even enthusiastic like how he used to be he just smells it and walks away, heā€™s never been like that at all and I think heā€™s so over the food, I also noticed heā€™s been shedding so much, like to the point where heā€™s half laying on me and Iā€™m petting him and his hair is flying on my faceā€¦ he has a vet appointment on 7/12 and Iā€™m gonna talk to vet but I wanna switch his food I know he doesnā€™t like it anymore.. he doesnā€™t eat people food either other than an occasional treat like watermelon, apples, blueberries and baby broccoli.

RC is crap food, all fillers not nutrition. The shedding is due to bad food. Vet will tell you some other crap food, not knocking them they just donā€™t have time to really research nutritionā€¦

if you want to stay with kibble go high quality grain freeā€¦ here are some of the better options, no particular order

Zingnature
Fromm
Acana
Orijen
Earthborn Holistic
Open Farm
Farmina

I would feed bland diet for a few days and then go right to a new food, trash the RC.

OP
YDsmomma

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
Yeah I was reading more threads on here and Iā€™m so thankful, I was looking into the Fromm since it seems the most recommended, I feel so bad I was giving him crappy food now I was honestly following the breeders info and now I feel bad.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah I was reading more threads on here and Iā€™m so thankful, I was looking into the Fromm since it seems the most recommended, I feel so bad I was giving him crappy food now I was honestly following the breeders info and now I feel bad.

No need to feel bad, we live and learn. Youā€™ll get him on the right track, it can be trial and error till you find the one that works best from him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Gilbert sheds a lot too (some days more than others it seems). He eats Acana single protein (right now he is on turkey). I am hoping his reasoning is environmental. Everything else (knock on wood) is going well!

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
In the mean time between changing foods, give that little pup a good bath and rinse a bunch of that loose hair off for now. He might even enjoy a good bath. I mention bath to my boy and he jumps into the tub right away. Have fun.

Bathtub Gabe.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My guys shed a lot and they eat raw so I wouldnā€™t necessarily contribute shedding to a low quality food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
YDsmomma

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
He loves baths and he swims in his pool and splash pod, the thing is the shedding just started like almost a month ago it wasent to bad and now itā€™s bad he has little bald spots on his back, I was going to order him a hot spot medicine cause Iā€™ve been googling a lot, but I donā€™t wanna put nothing till the vet tells me exactly what it is. He does start his bland diet today idk if should get chicken or not heā€™s been fine on it but I donā€™t want him to get worst cause what if heā€™s allergic to chicken.. I might just do the ground beef, not sure how to cook it. Lol or if anyone has a bland diet they can recommend.

OP
YDsmomma

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
So I went and bought him some Fromm, I got him the puppy grain free one, but while I was in the natural pet food store the guy there that owns the store was talking to me and was telling me about goat milk cause they sell the frozen one and he said it could help to add some to his food to help his stomach, Iā€™ve never heard anything about that, does anyone else know?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He loves baths and he swims in his pool and splash pod, the thing is the shedding just started like almost a month ago it wasent to bad and now itā€™s bad he has little bald spots on his back, I was going to order him a hot spot medicine cause Iā€™ve been googling a lot, but I donā€™t wanna put nothing till the vet tells me exactly what it is. He does start his bland diet today idk if should get chicken or not heā€™s been fine on it but I donā€™t want him to get worst cause what if heā€™s allergic to chicken.. I might just do the ground beef, not sure how to cook it. Lol or if anyone has a bland diet they can recommend.

Heā€™s 6months donā€™t worry about chicken. Get him use to all proteins as a pup thatā€™s when the immune system absorbs everything n gets stronger n as he gets older heā€™ll have less issues if not any. Like Christine suggested definitely get him off RC. These are dogs not farm animals. They need meat, organs n definitely oils. If he goes in the pool with chlorine it will dry his skin n that wonā€™t help dry skin n shedding. Get some fractionated coconut oil in a spritzer n when heā€™s done swimming, spray on him n massage. The non grain list are the quality kibbles. Add a1/4 of raw organs as a topper n add every other day EVOO to one of his meals so the skin stays moist n not dry. Yes stay away from RC, Science Hill n anything made by purina. :yes:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My dogs shedding like crazy[emoji24]

So I went and bought him some Fromm, I got him the puppy grain free one, but while I was in the natural pet food store the guy there that owns the store was talking to me and was telling me about goat milk cause they sell the frozen one and he said it could help to add some to his food to help his stomach, Iā€™ve never heard anything about that, does anyone else know?

Goats milk is great for themā€¦ probiotics. I give it to my guys too

OP
YDsmomma

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
Ok thank you, yeah I found some all raw food at the natural pet store I went to they had a lot of things Iā€™ve never seen a lot of multivitamins, Iā€™m going to go back tomorrow and get him more stuff especially the goat milk.

OP
YDsmomma

YDsmomma

Jul 8, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YD
Re: My dogs shedding like crazy[emoji24]

Ok I will definitely be buying him some tomorrow, he starts his bland diet tomorrow, ground lamb, sweat potato and peas. Thank you all so much I appreciate all your guys help.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My guys shed a lot and they eat raw so I wouldnā€™t necessarily contribute shedding to a low quality food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry.. true, I should have saidā€¦. Could be from crap food.
It would be the first thing I rule out outside of mange.

Mechadogzilla

Nov 15, 2020
Maryland
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
I feed Fromm to my dogs and am happy with. One thing that helps me with shedding is using a special brush that removes loose hair while I am giving my dogs a bath. After the bath, I use a furminator style brush outside to remove more loose hair. Usually only really need to do this when seasons change. My Bulldog doesnā€™t have much of a shedding issue, but without the seasonal double brushing, my house would be full of Rottweiler hair.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.