FROMM serving size suggestion

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have Diesel who is 2.5 years old...he looks great and weighs 50lbs. I used to feed him California Naturals Low Fat Lamb/Rice...bad I just learned! However, I have begun to switch him to Fromm Surf and Turf. Would you think a cup a twice a day would be a good amount or is that too little?

Also, I am about to get a new little girl bully baby. Should I start her on Fromm as well?

I think a cup to a cup and a half twice a day for Diesel would be ok. I started my new little girl on Fromm and I am putting 1 cup three times a day down. BUT if she finishes it and is sniffing for more, I will put more. I think when they are small puppies they should eat what they want. Puppies will rarely over eat (not to say ALL won't but most do not) and they will eat what they need that day. If they have a growth spurt, they will eat more. It even says on the bag that puppies may eat 2 to 4 times the amount recommended. My new girl is 15 weeks. I will probably continue with three times a day for her until she is around 5 or 6 months, then drop her to twice a day. HTH!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I always say also to adjust accordingly. For Tidus I still give him a bit extra, and Mandy will vary. If she is looking perfect, I up her. If she is starting to get that look where she is gaining, I lower it. So if pup does not look 'rotund'.... give a bit more. Puppies from the age of 3-6 months should still have that toddler body fat, and then they start growing up and losing weight. At the age of 6 mos to one you should have a lean long leg bully who is not very broad. Then they start filling in sideways. Once they are two is when you really need to start watching their weight.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..I have a feeding question..(wow..what a shock)...I have been reading this thread and I have just started Jake on Fromm surf n turf. My biggest concern is he has been getting 3/4 cup 3x a day. I am planning on cutting out midday meal when he is done with Fromm transition. Now..here's the problem. Over the past couple months I often thought he was not roly poly enough. In fact..not at all! Whenever I tried to increase his serving size, he would get runny poo. Even if I added pumpkin and used probiotic powder..just can't get to 1 cup. He weighs 28 lbs..seems fine..lots of energy..and vet doesn't seem concerned. I just want to make sure he is getting enough food! He does act like he could eat a bag full of food..but I kind of was thinking that was a normal thing for bullies! Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! From ANYONE!! Thanks

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..I have a feeding question..(wow..what a shock)...I have been reading this thread and I have just started Jake on Fromm surf n turf. My biggest concern is he has been getting 3/4 cup 3x a day. I am planning on cutting out midday meal when he is done with Fromm transition. Now..here's the problem. Over the past couple months I often thought he was not roly poly enough. In fact..not at all! Whenever I tried to increase his serving size, he would get runny poo. Even if I added pumpkin and used probiotic powder..just can't get to 1 cup. He weighs 28 lbs..seems fine..lots of energy..and vet doesn't seem concerned. I just want to make sure he is getting enough food! He does act like he could eat a bag full of food..but I kind of was thinking that was a normal thing for bullies! Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! From ANYONE!! Thanks

Great question!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Actually you do not want a roly poly bully, they should lose their puppy fat by the first year. You should see an hourglass shape to their figure, you should be able to feel the ribs but not see them. Excess weight can cause many problems, and although they look cuter with some weight, you should really watch for too much weight. There is a fine line there. If you want to add calories, you can add a spoonful of cottage cheese (4% milkfat) or dry powdered milk on top of their food. Tidus also looks skinny to me but no matter what I do he never seems to gain weight. I still think he is going through growth, and especially right now when your bully pups are in their teens they will probably look "skinny" to you. It is all legs!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ok! Great [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..that is exactly how he looks. I was aiming for 2 cups a day..will stick with it..I hope you know how much I appreciate your help! Jake does too..although I just know he was hoping for you to say he needs 8 cups a day!!! :yes:

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok! Great [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]..that is exactly how he looks. I was aiming for 2 cups a day..will stick with it..I hope you know how much I appreciate your help! Jake does too..although I just know he was hoping for you to say he needs 8 cups a day!!! :yes:

Wouldn't they all?? lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Wouldn't they all?? lol

Princess Gracie would eat as many times a day as we would allow. ;)
She is however a prime example of the bully shape; very broad across the chest, tapering at the waist and cute little buns... LOL
This pic makes her look skinny but believe me, it is only the pic. Im posting it so you can see her waistline.
DSC_0009.jpg

She is 4.5 years old.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Princess Gracie would eat as many times a day as we would allow. ;)
She is however a prime example of the bully shape; very broad across the chest, tapering at the waist and cute little buns... LOL
This pic makes her look skinny but believe me, it is only the pic. Im posting it so you can see her waistline.
DSC_0009.jpg

She is 4.5 years old.

WOW !! For a minute [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...I could have sworn you were describing ME!!! :lol: :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
I fed Diesel the Surf and Turf for the first time last night...and he was sitting by his bowl this morning! So cute...but really weird seeing usually he could care less if he eats! I went for the grain free just to be on the safe side...my beagle that passed away about a month ago (she was 12) had SO many allergies that I don't want to take any chances!! I am so glad I found this site...I think Diesel is too by his reaction this morning! :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi [MENTION=2322]Katie9449[/MENTION]...yay..I will be interested in how diesel is doing on this food. Jake just started same one..but he is only getting tiny amount of surf and turf so far! Let me know!

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
I will! Last night and this morning Diesel decided what he will and will not eat. He removed all of his old food from the bowl (and put it neatly in a pile next to his bowl) and only ate the Surf and Turf. So far so good! I will keep updating (not daily of course)... :)

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I will! Last night and this morning Diesel decided what he will and will not eat. He removed all of his old food from the bowl (and put it neatly in a pile next to his bowl) and only ate the Surf and Turf. So far so good! I will keep updating (not daily of course)... :)

That is hilarious!!! I love that he did that. I think Fromm is like crack. ALL of my pups come running when they hear the cabinet door open. This is new for them too. They used to just kind of pick at their food. We are using the beef frittata since it is grain and chicken free.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake is doing great on his new Fromm surf and turf..still slow going but no issues. Up to 1/4 cup Fromm..mixed with 1/2 old..heeelarious..I know! But I hate poop issues!

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
Okay, I promised an update in some thread on the Fromm food switch...and I gave up trying to find it! So, here it is! He LOVES the Fromm Surf and Turf...but as always I have to mess with things... Today was the first day of Beef Frittata...the da#* bulldog stalked me till it was feeding time tonight! I kept cracking up...he would follow me...the second I made eye contact he would grumble (we all know that lovely bulldog sound) and run to his food bin and sit there (8hours of this)!! When he finally got to eat he ate it up like crazy! I also have a Shih Tzu puppy and I had to put him on the Fromm as well b/c he refused to eat his food...and he is doing awesome as well! Diesel's coat is really soft and the tear stains are pretty much gone since the switch...and we don't have periods where he refuses to eat anymore...so nice!! I am so glad I found this site! :) Thanks guys!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.