FROMM serving size suggestion

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was feeding Gator Wellness Puppy and Lucy pretty much any flavor TOTW (she has no food issues or allergy issues). Well, the last few weeks neither one of them seemed too thrilled when I put down the food bowl. Lucy wouldn't even deign to walk over to it and sniff it. She would just sit there and look at me like, blech, really? And Gator would look at it and walk away. They would both eventually eat it but they were NOT happy about it.

Anyway, after looking around here I found a cute little dog boutique that carries Fromm so I got the pork chop and applesauce and the beef frittata. I put out the beef and you would have thought I hadn't fed them in a month! They both gobbled it up and have been for a week. (no, I don't work for or sell Fromm lol)

After reading the bag, for the life of me I can't figure out how much Gator needs. He is almost 7 months and weighs approx 45 lbs. maybe a bit more as it has been a couple of week since he was weighed. I have been giving him about 1.5 cups per feeding. The bag said "more if a puppy". Also, Lucy the basset needs to lose a few lbs so what should I give her? She weighs 63lbs and needs to be more in the mid to high 50's.

Any thoughts?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Noone?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think 1.5 cups twice a day for pup, 3/4 c twice a day for Lucy. Once puppy gets to be a year old you should start cutting back some, but only if you start to see weight gain. Also give Lucy some frozen green beans or Vegas stew (1/2 to 1 cup) to help fill her up. Then you could even do 1/2 c twice a day and the weight should fall off of her :)

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
What is the calorie count per cup?

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Pork & applesauce is 420 but it doesn't say on the beef frittata

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I think 1.5 cups twice a day for pup, 3/4 c twice a day for Lucy. Once puppy gets to be a year old you should start cutting back some, but only if you start to see weight gain. Also give Lucy some frozen green beans or Vegas stew (1/2 to 1 cup) to help fill her up. Then you could even do 1/2 c twice a day and the weight should fall off of her :)

Thank you, thank you! That is what I am feeding Gator right now but for Lucy I am still feeding too much. I will search for the Vegas stew and see what is in it. I have been giving them green beans so that is good :). They love them!

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My food is pretty close. It recoomends 2 cups for that weight. Nvi chicken meal is 490

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I do 2 scoops for both my boys 1 time a day which means nothing really cuz I never knew how much a scoop was actually. Turns out it is somewhere between 3 and 4 cups for them a day. Cutty is around 55 pounds and Mugs is around 25 and they actually have lost weight with this amount. Or Cutty has, he is the only one with weight to lose. Telling you fromm has some kind of crack in it cuz my boys have never loved a food so much and they have always LOVED their foods. lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My question [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] is would the amount of food be the same regardless of if it is grain free or not but still fromm?

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
For the Pork & applesauce (not grain free) and the Beef Frittata(grain free), The "guidelines" on the bags are different for the amount you give them.

I thought I was probably doing ok with Gator, but Lucy needs to drop some lbs and I just was not sure how to go about that. My vet wasn't very specific! lol

I think I am going to try dropping her serving size to 1/2 c. or so and the stew and see how that goes for a few weeks. She is getting older and I just want her to be healthy :). All that weight is not good on her basset back.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I always say also to adjust accordingly. For Tidus I still give him a bit extra, and Mandy will vary. If she is looking perfect, I up her. If she is starting to get that look where she is gaining, I lower it. So if pup does not look 'rotund'.... give a bit more. Puppies from the age of 3-6 months should still have that toddler body fat, and then they start growing up and losing weight. At the age of 6 mos to one you should have a lean long leg bully who is not very broad. Then they start filling in sideways. Once they are two is when you really need to start watching their weight.

OP
GatorRay

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you! Gator is for sure in that "leggy" stage and he is 7 months tomorrow. He just always seems hungry (as does Lucy) but I know that is normal for both breeds. I just wanted to make sure I could be confident that he was just being greedy and not starving. lol

Thank you for the tip for Lucy. I am sure she will appreciate it when she is slimmer and feeling better :)

Katie9449

May 2, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel Tank
I have Diesel who is 2.5 years old...he looks great and weighs 50lbs. I used to feed him California Naturals Low Fat Lamb/Rice...bad I just learned! However, I have begun to switch him to Fromm Surf and Turf. Would you think a cup a twice a day would be a good amount or is that too little?

Also, I am about to get a new little girl bully baby. Should I start her on Fromm as well?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online