Senior dog food question

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
So,,, was at my local pet store,,Feeders Supply,, where Levi actually has his own fan club there,, no kiddnā€™ lol. While he was picking out a new squeaky to drive me insane with:D a couple came in with a magnificent 3 year old EB. Amazing body definition and gorgeous shiny coat. I asked them what they fed their boy and how great shape he was in and they replied that at the age of 2 they started feeding him a grain free high quality ā€œSeniorā€ dog food to keep his weight in check and have done so ever since. I have no interest in feeding Levi a senior food at 13 months old or not till later in life but was wondering if this is a good idea or no and if anyone else here does this at a young age. Levi does GREAT on Victors and that the only brand I have fed him starting at 8 weeks old. I had not heard of this before and was wondering if anyone else feeds their younger EB senior food ? And again,, I have no interest in feeding Levi a senior food at 13 months,, just curious if this is o.k or not cause their EB was amazing looking

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Follow your gut. Youā€™re totally right. Never feed Senior dog food to a young dog. Your dog will be missing certain nutrients. You know even Senior dog food shouldnā€™t even be sold. Total sales gimmick. Puppy food is different cause it has more fats, different supplements etc. Even better, feed raw. As if in the wild they have a choice of senior food. They eat whatever they kill. Shiny coat is basically oils. You want your dog to have a shiny coat, add extra virgin olive oil or even a teaspoon of butter(real butter) to their meals. I use EVOO. I also feed them as a noon snack wild caught fish like sardines, mackerel or tripe the green smelly one that comes frozen. Itā€™s like human hair, eat the right oils n fat youā€™ll have shiny hair, no flakes n no dry skin.

OP
kyredneck

kyredneck

Mar 20, 2021
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi
Levi snacks consist of his favorites,, frozen green beans, apples, raw carrots. Iā€™ve been feeding him Victors Beef Meal / Brown Rice Formula since 8 weeks old and he has done FANTASTIC with it so I want to stay with Victors brand. His skin and coat are great but adding a teaspoon of butter interest me,, I know he would enjoy it also,,,lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Same... never heard of anyone doing it, but the is always a first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Levi snacks consist of his favorites,, frozen green beans, apples, raw carrots. Iā€™ve been feeding him Victors Beef Meal / Brown Rice Formula since 8 weeks old and he has done FANTASTIC with it so I want to stay with Victors brand. His skin and coat are great but adding a teaspoon of butter interest me,, I know he would enjoy it also,,,lol

I used every other day butter for my German Shepherd had a beautiful shiny coat. For these 2 I use EVOO cause also every other day as my husband gives them a toast in the morning while Iā€™m still asleep. Heā€™s up in the weee hrs for work. I know he does even if he says no. When I get up both are licking their faces till no tomorrow. :detective2:

ZukimyLoa

Feb 25, 2022
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Larry
Of course, I don't have a Great Dane but a Whippet. And I started accustoming him to adult food when he was 1.4 years old. My Coby is very active and expends a lot of energy. They very much like to play with a ball. I chose him after visiting https://cleverpuppies.com/do-whippets-play-fetch/. I don't know about anyone, but I combine feeds. If I see that Kobi gets fat, I give him more vegetables. If he is in the process of training and building muscle mass - I increase the proportion of meat. With dry food, I give in the proportion of 2/3. My friends are very impressed with Kobe. And I am pleased with his healthy appearance.

Last edited:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Of course, I don't have a Great Dane but a Whippet. And I started accustoming him to adult food when he was 1.4 years old.
Love Whippets. I just got another German Shepherd but was looking into Bouvier n Whippets. Our winters would be too hard on Whippets if they donā€™t have a real thick jacket.

chauncey_pancakes

Apr 20, 2022
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chauncey
Hi Levi's Hooman! We have struggled with Chauncey's weight for over 10 years. He is a small bully weighing about 39-40 lbs now and is 12 year old (his heaviest was at 55 lbs). We have been able to get him off off all meds except prescription eye drops/paw wipes and OTC supplements since switching his diet.

We have tried every store brand & holistic brand dry and wet food. As well as various oil, cooking at home, natural foods etc. We've seen a dermatologist, allergist, ER Visits, injections, and allergy medications such as Apoquel over several years. All of which has helped but the side effects/cost/results did not work out for us. We have ruled out neurological conditions from seizures, kidney/liver disease, blood disease etc. His weight and protein/liver enzymes were elevated when i had him on dry kibble, so we tried fresh food. He is a very picky eater and would often starve himself to the point of vomiting and/or overeating.

We have been using The Farmers Dog since Feb 2022 and i have noticed instant results with his weight and allergies. My dog has lost 5 pounds so far and is now excited about food. His GI/stool has improved and his energy is up. His dry eye has improved by over 75% IMO and skin, paws, ears have been great. This this was our absolutely last option due to the $$, but noticed results within 2 to 3 days. His protein/liver lab results have stabilized.

I'm not sure if fresh food is the way for your dog and certainly every bully is different, but maybe this can give you some insight for your dog's nutrition treatment. We have struggled many years with all of his issues so feel free to reach out for any questions with our experience!

Good luck and wishing you all the best for your pal.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.