Looking for advice for a possible GI issue

baroge

Jan 9, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
huey lewis and big boy
Hello, our bulldog Huey Lewis has been having serious issues with eating and stomach issues. The vet has tried many things but we thing it is simply his diet and immune system. We started him on Royal Canin GI wet food but we ran out and it takes many days to get our vet to approve it. What else can I add to a bland diet in the mean time?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'm not inclined to make recommendations about food without knowing more info and the info provided is a little too vague...
What are the symptoms?

Diarrhea?
Puking?
Weight loss?
How much are you feeding?
How much does he weigh?
How old is he?
Any other noteworthy medical history?

What testing has Vet done and what were the results?
If a CBC has not been done it's probably time to do it.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello, our bulldog Huey Lewis has been having serious issues with eating and stomach issues. The vet has tried many things but we thing it is simply his diet and immune system. We started him on Royal Canin GI wet food but we ran out and it takes many days to get our vet to approve it. What else can I add to a bland diet in the mean time?

Great questions from Chip.

Stay away Royal Canin , Science Hill or anything thatā€™s made by Purina. Makes it worse for any pet.
Depending on what your vet did or what meds they gave him will be hard to answer. But definitely when itā€™s a gut issue, get Huey on a good source of probiotics. If the gut flora isnā€™t working the whole body will collapse. Weak immune system affects the whole body. Same for humans.

I only use probiotics food wise. Get fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies at your health food store in the FRIDGE section. One-two tablespoon per day mixed in this food. Btw what does Huey eat??? If you want to resolve ANY gut issues, raw diet is the way to go. Itā€™s loaded of probiotics because it has organs, blood, bones.... If itā€™s kibbles, gets some raw organs at your grocery store, put 1/4-1/2 cup as a topper. Remember toppers are calculated as portions. Start giving him raw marrow bones. Feed from frozen.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Any update based on the advice given from the team?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online