General Question Feeding our 9 Week Old

CJ382

Nov 27, 2020
Country
united Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Hi All, Just after some advice. on how much food we should be feeding Max,

We purchased the same branding food that the breeders has (Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Bulldog Dry Puppy Food)

Max weighs 4KG & is 9 Weeks old - we are trying to confirm what is the correct portions to be feeding him - As we have noticed that his Poops are softer than when we first brought him home - I know that it could just be the stress of moving etc just wanted some advice.

Thanks
C

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor says hi to baby Max! Castor had very loose stools the first few weeks, so that is probably not uncommon. We have always given him the recommended amount of food (ie what the bag says).

If his stools keep being loose, you might need to check with a vet so that there is no problem with parasites etc. Otherwise a little rice might be added to his food (boil rice in lots of water for a long time and add some of the rice soup (cold!) to the kibble. Do you give the kibble dry or do you soak them, by the way? When Castor was young we soaked the kibble in warm water and then let it cool down (dogs mustn't eat anything warm) before he got it.

When it comes to Royal Canin, many people say it's not good food, and quality wise, there are other brands that might be better. On the other hand, many dogs who do well on Royal Canin. I see you are in the UK. Castor has tested several food brands over the years (he is 7.5 now) and the ones that have been best for his digestion have been British brands James Wellbeloved (lamb and rice, I think) and Canagan (game and now he's on their senior chicken kibble). Other good foods are Acana and Orijen (Canadian brands, I believe).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
C

CJ382

Nov 27, 2020
Country
united Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Castor says hi to baby Max! Castor had very loose stools the first few weeks, so that is probably not uncommon. We have always given him the recommended amount of food (ie what the bag says).

If his stools keep being loose, you might need to check with a vet so that there is no problem with parasites etc. Otherwise a little rice might be added to his food (boil rice in lots of water for a long time and add some of the rice soup (cold!) to the kibble. Do you give the kibble dry or do you soak them, by the way? When Castor was young we soaked the kibble in warm water and then let it cool down (dogs mustn't eat anything warm) before he got it.

When it comes to Royal Canin, many people say it's not good food, and quality wise, there are other brands that might be better. On the other hand, many dogs who do well on Royal Canin. I see you are in the UK. Castor has tested several food brands over the years (he is 7.5 now) and the ones that have been best for his digestion have been British brands James Wellbeloved (lamb and rice, I think) and Canagan (game and now he's on their senior chicken kibble). Other good foods are Acana and Orijen (Canadian brands, I believe).

Thanks for the reply - hello castor šŸ˜€

So looking at the bag it states the a 2month old should are 257g of kibble a day - (2 & 3/4 cups) - which is quite confusing as other things I read says approx a 1/3 or a cup 3 times a day - which is a massive difference - can I get some guidance if 250g of kibble sounds right please

49B13F47-8142-45B4-A118-D05353F05BF2.png

49B13F47-8142-45B4-A118-D05353F05BF2.png

Yes we realised that itā€™s not very good food after some research today and are looking into changing ASAP - thanks for the recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks yes we are researching this brand now - thanks

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for the reply - hello castor ļ˜€

So looking at the bag it states the a 2month old should are 257g of kibble a day - (2 & 3/4 cups) - which is quite confusing as other things I read says approx a 1/3 or a cup 3 times a day - which is a massive difference - can I get some guidance if 250g of kibble sounds right please

View attachment 120101

View attachment 120101

Yes we realised that itā€™s not very good food after some research today and are looking into changing ASAP - thanks for the recommendations.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it sounds a lot with 257g per day for a five-kilo pup in comparison with Acana puppy and Orijen puppy which recommend 150g and 160g, respectively, per day. I hope someone more experienced in puppy feeding (or with a better memory than me!) can help out here. I don't understand how different brands can suggest so different amounts?

And when you change kibble - you might want to transition slowly not to disturb his tummy even more. Say 75% old and 25% new kibble for a few days, then 50/50 for a few days, etc.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the reply - hello castor ��

View attachment 120101

View attachment 120101

- - - Updated - - -

Hello & WELCOME!!!

Whatever you do, definitely get him off RC. You will end up with health issues down the road. Itā€™s all grains n dogs need to highest consent of meat protein. I do know in UK you have Acana. If itā€™s kibbles you going with go with Acana single protein bags. Since heā€™s a pup itā€™s the best time to do rotations of protein n this brand does single protein. Start with Duck easier to digest, once bag is finished buy their other protein. They have Duck, Pork, Lamb, beef, chicken etc... stick to ONE protein at a time as of there is any allergies itā€™s easier for you to eliminate what he canā€™t have. Do feed chicken as his body will adapt n he will be able to eat any protein later on. All my dogs were raised on one protein at a time n today these 2 I have eats anything. The best diet would be a raw diet. If your going with raw, wait later once heā€™s done all different protein then as a topper simply add Raw organs as a topper.

My nephew lives in Yorkshire UK n his puppy is doing great on acana. You also have Wainwright in U.K. which is ok but not as a higher quality kibble as Acana.

https://www.acanapetfoods.co.uk/

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I hope someone more experienced in puppy feeding (or with a better memory than me!) can help out here. I don't understand how different brands can suggest so different amounts?

Different brands provide different caloric density. What to feed your dog is not much about the amount but the calories. Also puppies have different nutritional profile requirements than adult dogs. A lot of dog foods, especially the cheap ones, provide a lot of filler without much nutritional value - you will notice this when you look at the size of the dog's poop - Into the mouth and right out the butt. They usually recommend higher amounts of food because a lot of it goes out the waste pipe.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Different brands provide different caloric density. What to feed your dog is not much about the amount but the calories. Also puppies have different nutritional profile requirements than adult dogs. A lot of dog foods, especially the cheap ones, provide a lot of filler without much nutritional value - you will notice this when you look at the size of the dog's poop - Into the mouth and right out the butt. They usually recommend higher amounts of food because a lot of it goes out the waste pipe.

Ah, thanks for that explanation!

OP
C

CJ382

Nov 27, 2020
Country
united Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thanks everyone for the responses - after the advice we changed brands to James Wellbeloved and added some carrots to one meal a day and the difference is massive - poops are normal and his smell has changed the royal canine food must be BAD - thanks again

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.