KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
So, as you all know, I was having issues with Brisket and his tear stains, some redness, and some itching on his skin. We tried using witch hazel, tear stain cream, switching from grain to grain-free food, adding allergy medication, and no luck. He's 4 months old, and my husband and I have made the decision to switch him over to raw. The easiest thing we have come across is Stella and Chewy, but I don't know where to start!! I know there are some for the puppy stage, and we have only found the option of ordering online and shipping in. Apparently not many stores here carry a raw food diet, and the local pet pantry only has the raw food diet for adults.

I have seen the bags come in a 5oz bag, and a 14oz bag, and the recommended feeding for his age is 15 patties a day, but I don't know how big they are or how much I should get? I don't want to order every week, I'd like to get enough for at least 3 weeks. Anyone have any experience or guidance with this that can be provided?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] suggest co-op. I canā€™t suggest much here as Iā€™m in Canada... that being said, up the probiotics like I mentioned to you. Probiotics is one if not the only one thing that will help remove tear stains n get that gut going. Frozen section at your pet store. HAS TO BE green smelly tripe. Give it daily. I use to cut the pattie in 4. Was about 6ā€ diam. As you know I only use probiotics via food source. Anything fermented will beat any pill/supplements. My raw comes with tripe. Why I donā€™t need to add more in the diet. But I do give ever other day fermented sauerkraut. A lot of people think of pills as itā€™s easy just like kibbles. Sadly we need to put a bit of effort to feed out pets. Like a baby.. Would I feed a child anything already made on shelves? God no. Well same for pets. My 2 cents... :yes:

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] suggest co-op. I canā€™t suggest much here as Iā€™m in Canada... that being said, up the probiotics like I mentioned to you. Probiotics is one if not the only one thing that will help remove tear stains n get that gut going. Frozen section at your pet store. HAS TO BE green smelly tripe. Give it daily. I use to cut the pattie in 4. Was about 6ā€ diam. As you know I only use probiotics via food source. Anything fermented will beat any pill/supplements. My raw comes with tripe. Why I donā€™t need to add more in the diet. But I do give ever other day fermented sauerkraut. A lot of people think of pills as itā€™s easy just like kibbles. Sadly we need to put a bit of effort to feed out pets. Like a baby.. Would I feed a child anything already made on shelves? God no. Well same for pets. My 2 cents... :yes:

I have been trying fermented veggies, and it seems like over the past week, they have gotten darker. Stella and Chewy consist of Tripe. I read the ingredients and it is listed on both of the packages of raw patties for puppies... I also tried fermented sauerkraut and he would not get near it, so that was a bust. I went on the serving size based on the bag recommendations. It says a 20lb puppy should eat 10-15 patties a day. Sounds like a lot to me, but I think the puppy patties are smaller than adult patties.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] can help with co-op and prey model.
I found a small local company that I order from and it is delivered to our home frozen.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™m on my phone right now but I pinned a post in the raw feeding thread that has links to raw food co-ops and places to buy commercial raw food. I can look for it tomorrow when Iā€™m at a computer if you canā€™t find it.

Puppies definitely need more food than an adult dog and you need to make sure itā€™s completely balanced for a puppy. Adults usually eat 2-3% of their current weight. Puppies need a certain percentage of what their expected adult weight is going to be. You can probably find the guidelines online. I know I have posted a link on raw feeding before but now I canā€™t remember the website. I can look for it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have been trying fermented veggies, and it seems like over the past week, they have gotten darker. Stella and Chewy consist of Tripe. I read the ingredients and it is listed on both of the packages of raw patties for puppies... I also tried fermented sauerkraut and he would not get near it, so that was a bust. I went on the serving size based on the bag recommendations. It says a 20lb puppy should eat 10-15 patties a day. Sounds like a lot to me, but I think the puppy patties are smaller than adult patties.

I got to be something else heā€™s eating for the tear stains as fermented wonā€™t give darker stains. Itā€™s the other way around. Iā€™ve seen somewhere you can buy it in powder n yes 10-15 patties is a lot but depending on their size. I think youā€™re better off buying like Christine n Citti does.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I haven't tried pre-made raw so I don't know anything about Stella & Chewy. From the list of ingredients, it looks good. The way I've fed puppies is I feed them the adult serving size, even more if needed, but divided into more meals a day.

I feed my dogs meat straight from the local butcher shop or from my sons' fishing/hunting trips.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Iā€™m on my phone right now but I pinned a post in the raw feeding thread that has links to raw food co-ops and places to buy commercial raw food. I can look for it tomorrow when Iā€™m at a computer if you canā€™t find it.

Puppies definitely need more food than an adult dog and you need to make sure itā€™s completely balanced for a puppy. Adults usually eat 2-3% of their current weight. Puppies need a certain percentage of what their expected adult weight is going to be. You can probably find the guidelines online. I know I have posted a link on raw feeding before but now I canā€™t remember the website. I can look for it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Citty,

I did actually come across that thread, unfortunately though, I am not near a large city, and those are the ones who deliver like that. Iā€™m too far south and apparently not many people here feed their animals the raw diet so thereā€™s not very much demand. As a matter of fact, the pet pantry I use, is the only store that carries the better brand foods such as Acana, Fromm, and Taste of the Wild. They also carry Stella and chewy, but not the puppy specific mix. I may just have to go for the adult one as I really do not want to order in and have the food go through careless shipping. If all else fails, sorry mom, gonna need to take a few of your chickens ��

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks Citty,

I did actually come across that thread, unfortunately though, I am not near a large city, and those are the ones who deliver like that. Iā€™m too far south and apparently not many people here feed their animals the raw diet so thereā€™s not very much demand. As a matter of fact, the pet pantry I use, is the only store that carries the better brand foods such as Acana, Fromm, and Taste of the Wild. They also carry Stella and chewy, but not the puppy specific mix. I may just have to go for the adult one as I really do not want to order in and have the food go through careless shipping. If all else fails, sorry mom, gonna need to take a few of your chickens ļæ½ļæ½

Here is the website I was talking about - https://perfectlyrawsome.com/

Are you able to get Primal? I know they are completely balanced and appropriate for puppies. I would be nervous about doing a DIY raw for a puppy just because of the balancing issue. For adults, the meals do not need to balanced every time as they will balance out over time.

Louie had tear stains forever even with being on raw and getting fermented sauerkraut. Just recently they started lessening and I have no idea why. Ella, my 10 month old, is eating Open Farm kibble. Once she hits 1, I will probably start giving her raw for one meal a day. Being a show dog and potential travel in her future, all raw will not be feasible.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I have not looked up primal. Will definitely check that out. I may just have to go with what [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] does and do prey-model raw, considering not many packaged raw products available around me, but plenty of farms!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have not looked up primal. Will definitely check that out. I may just have to go with what [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] does and do prey-model raw, considering not many packaged raw products available around me, but plenty of farms!

Check out the website I posted as that can give you guidance. You might have to add some supplements to ensure a completely balanced meal.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online