Best food for newly diagnosed food allergies

Bulldogmom2

Sep 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
Hi everyone! My 3 yr old (Lexie) recently was diagnosed with a bunch of things and some of those allergies are to food. She is currently on Purina one lamb and rice but I now have to change that bc she is allergic to both lamb and rice along with venison, poultry mix, eggs, fish mix and brewers yeast. Any advice on what is the best food for skin and food allergies? Also this may be a silly question but what exactly does poultry mix and fish mix mean? Sheā€™s not allergic to salmon or chicken so I was confused the whole poultry and fish mix stuff. Many thanks for any input anyone had!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone! My 3 yr old (Lexie) recently was diagnosed with a bunch of things and some of those allergies are to food. She is currently on Purina one lamb and rice but I now have to change that bc she is allergic to both lamb and rice along with venison, poultry mix, eggs, fish mix and brewers yeast. Any advice on what is the best food for skin and food allergies? Also this may be a silly question but what exactly does poultry mix and fish mix mean? Sheā€™s not allergic to salmon or chicken so I was confused the whole poultry and fish mix stuff. Many thanks for any input anyone had!!

Not sure what the mix thing exactly means.... but a great kibble is Zingnature limited ingredient Duck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bulldogmom2

Sep 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
Thanks for the input. Iā€™m nervous about the duck though, wouldnā€™t that fall under the ā€œpoultry mixā€? Lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the input. Iā€™m nervous about the duck though, wouldnā€™t that fall under the ā€œpoultry mixā€? Lol

Zingnature also has novel proteins.... kangaroo is one I can remember

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bulldogmom2

Sep 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie

Thank you for your input. Question though What is a novel protein?

Sorry Iā€™m all new to the whole food allergy thing so I donā€™t know what most of if all means lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thank you for your input. Question though What is a novel protein?

Sorry Iā€™m all new to the whole food allergy thing so I donā€™t know what most of if all means lol

Novel.. not the norm is best way to put it. Kangaroo, bison, goat, etc.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] .. any better description

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Novel.. not the norm is best way to put it. Kangaroo, bison, goat, etc.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] .. any better description

Nope...you got it! A protein that is not common like chicken, turkey, beef, etc.

Zignature has a quite a few novel proteins and is a good quality kibble.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have recently put Buster on Zignature Catfish, so far so good. Monty was on the Duck and did great but it made Buster gassy! These dogs! Zignature does not contain a lot of common allergens and is supposed to be a good food for dogs with allergies. As always it is finding the protein that suites them best and luckily they have a good selection to choose from.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Ladies got you cover on novel protein....(NEW PROTEIN)

But your issue is Purina One. Anything from purina, science hill or royal Canin is to be avoided

This is what youā€™re feed n why you have issue...

Lamb (source of glucosamine), rice flour, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, chicken by-product meal (source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, soybean meal, beef fat naturally preserved with mixed-tocopherols, mono and dicalcium phosphate, glycerin, calcium carbonate, liver flavour, salt, caramel colour, potassium chloride, dried carrots, dried peas,

The ONLY thing thatā€™ good in that bag is the lamb. Thatā€™s it! :( The rest is why all the allergies. Anything that says By Product, absolutely avoid.

Like mentioned, stick to Acana, Zignature Fromm. Since he has all allergies, by the single protein bags. After each bag get another different protein. Like that it will be easier to eliminate the allergy.

OP
B

Bulldogmom2

Sep 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
So I ended up going with Natural Balance grain free salmon and sweet potato, I also got a can of wet food from natural balance also of the duck & potato so Iā€™m hoping that was the right choice. She canā€™t have chicken, Turkey, venison Or anything with rice or eggs, so I felt like my choices are limited. She did start her allergy shots last Saturday or Iā€™m hoping in 6 months or so she should start getting better. Fingers crossed!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So I ended up going with Natural Balance grain free salmon and sweet potato, I also got a can of wet food from natural balance also of the duck & potato so Iā€™m hoping that was the right choice. She canā€™t have chicken, Turkey, venison Or anything with rice or eggs, so I felt like my choices are limited. She did start her allergy shots last Saturday or Iā€™m hoping in 6 months or so she should start getting better. Fingers crossed!

Dried Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Fish Meal, Potato Protein, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Natural Flavor, Potato Fiber...

Keep an eye on the potato as aside from sweet potato, white potatoes are mentioned 2x...

BTW itā€™s only 3.5 stars. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max

Although in the past max had trouble with chicken duck has always done right by him. Both when he was on kibble and now on raw.

OP
B

Bulldogmom2

Sep 7, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexie
I think we are going to try duck and salmon and see how it goes! Iā€™ve been doing a lot of research and reading anything I can! Thanks everyone for the input

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online