Need diet help for my overweight boy.

LAbully

Aug 31, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Hello everyone, I am new around these parts. I have a 7yr old English bulldog (Hercules) who has been under the care of family in Florida for the last 18 months due to me breaking my femur. Because of the lack of exercise and possible over feeding plus various table scraps he has put on a TON of weight. Heā€™s eating JFFD 1 cup 2x a day. Although I would like to switch him over to raw to help in his weight loss journey. Any recommendations on good raw brands that are reasonably priced or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! Here is Mr. Hercules
A0A528E8-95B8-4B05-9DE1-22CFA0BBEBF1.jpegA0A528E8-95B8-4B05-9DE1-22CFA0BBEBF1.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Some good brands of commercial raw are Stella & Cheneyā€™s, Steveā€™s, Primal, Answers, Small Batch just to name a few. You can also check fir local raw food co-op or local company in your area.

In the meantime, Iā€™d cut back on the amount of food youā€™re feeding and then throw in a handful of green beans which will help make up for the decrease in food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello n WELCOME!!!

Whatā€™s JFFD? Just food for dogs? As if is, thatā€™s why too much rice, wheat pasta etc. too much carbs!! Dogs simply needs protein n NO grains... :)

Yes as Citti mentioned raw diet will put him back on track. How much does he weigh! Raw diet is one pound PER DAY for a 50lb dog. My white face Jake is just under 70lbs n he gets 1.5 per day which includes his noon snack which is usually a small whole frozen sardine. Heā€™s very muscular n I purposely feed him less to keep him fit. Since you hurt yourself :( & probably not ready to lip walk yourself, have him run or play in the backyard or a field....baby steps is the key. But definitely cut the portions out as heā€™s already 7yrs old n not healthy as you already know. It is what it is so simply cut back. 2 cups per day should be 1cup per day with a 1/2 of green beans or a healthy veggie. Get some fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies in the fridge section as itā€™s full of probiotics which he will need to clean his gut flora. If youā€™re not going to go with raw stick to Acana single protein bags. 1/2cup 2x a day BUT add 1/4 of raw organs from your grocery store as a topper. But raw will keep him more on the slimmer side. My brindle Nyala was a good 5lbs over so I lowered her raw to 1/2 per day n still has her snack. Took 3 months. Slowly but surely. :). BTW where in Canada are you?

OP
L

LAbully

Aug 31, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
I apologize for the failed acronyms, I am in Los Angeles. Thank you for all the thorough responses, much appreciated. He is between 55-60 lbs at the moment. And yes JFFD- Just food for dogs. Yes he will be going strictly raw now, and believe it or not green beans are about the only thing he doesnā€™t eat. Would carrots be a good alternative? He loves those! Ok great, so 1 cup a day of the raw and half cup of healthy veggies. Thanks for all your help, it breaks my heart heā€™s fallen so out of shape out of my care but his retirement in Miami is over. Back to Los Angeles ��

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I apologize for the failed acronyms, I am in Los Angeles. Thank you for all the thorough responses, much appreciated. He is between 55-60 lbs at the moment. And yes JFFD- Just food for dogs. Yes he will be going strictly raw now, and believe it or not green beans are about the only thing he doesnā€™t eat. Would carrots be a good alternative? He loves those! Ok great, so 1 cup a day of the raw and half cup of healthy veggies. Thanks for all your help, it breaks my heart heā€™s fallen so out of shape out of my care but his retirement in Miami is over. Back to Los Angeles ļæ½ļæ½

NO.... not one cup per day of raw but one ā€œPOUNDā€ PER DAY... BUT....now that you gave us his weight, if he doesnā€™t get any exercise whatsoever, you might have to go down to 3/4LB of raw. Idk your routine.

Example

Beef (Cooked & Diced). 3 cups = 1 pound
Beef (Ground). 2 cups raw, 12 ounces cooked. =. 1 pound

Make sure the raw you buy is like what Citte mentioned as it needs to be balanced with organs, muscles, bones, blood n not just a slab of meat.

A940C0FB-3944-4D2C-919B-1665C5C58DE7.jpegF40618FE-2AF2-4248-BD50-BF1993FFF2AE.jpeg

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

If you buy it from co-op or elsewhere itā€™s already balanced out :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
To lose weight while on a raw diet, itā€™s usually recommended to feed 1.5% of their body weight. Jax needs to lose a few pounds and I actually had to go less than that.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
True but I start a bit lower n slowly bring portions down not to freak out the dog.. Also snacks needs to be included in the portions as itā€™s not an extra..

OP
L

LAbully

Aug 31, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
roger that, thank you for the clarification. Took a long flight home today (MIA-LA) so he didnt eat in the morning and just came home and had a half pound turkey patty from Answers. Im assuming since the Answers is already fermented he will not need the added saurkraut? im a bit nervous to be in the same room as it is with all that fermentation going on in his gut, i shall signal for help if the fumes become too intoxicating :bulldog: :fart: :excited:
STAND BY

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
roger that, thank you for the clarification. Took a long flight home today (MIA-LA) so he didnt eat in the morning and just came home and had a half pound turkey patty from Answers. Im assuming since the Answers is already fermented he will not need the added saurkraut? im a bit nervous to be in the same room as it is with all that fermentation going on in his gut, i shall signal for help if the fumes become too intoxicating :bulldog: :fart: :excited:
STAND BY

Loll. No my dogs wonā€™t smell anymore than normal. Mind you theyā€™re us to it loll
Iā€™m not familiar with ā€œAnswersā€ Not sure if we have it up here. I did google it. And you donā€™t need sauerkraut. Itā€™s already in the food. Now Iā€™ll go do some reading on that food. Very interesting. Ty!

OP
L

LAbully

Aug 31, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules
Loll. No my dogs wonā€™t smell anymore than normal. Mind you theyā€™re us to it loll
Iā€™m not familiar with ā€œAnswersā€ Not sure if we have it up here. I did google it. And you donā€™t need sauerkraut. Itā€™s already in the food. Now Iā€™ll go do some reading on that food. Very interesting. Ty!

yes, iv read nothing but good things. i received the recommendation on here as well :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
yes, iv read nothing but good things. i received the recommendation on here as well :)

Answers is in my rotation. I also use their goats milk and fermented fish stock with other raw food brands I give. It is an excellent food.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I can vouch for answers. Have heard good things about that brand as well. I use their brand of goat milk as well as primal. No issues and have not heard any negatives thus far.

Max

Feb 7, 2022
Country
America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Some good brands of commercial raw are Stella & Cheneyā€™s, Steveā€™s, Primal, Answers, Small Batch just to name a few. You can also check fir local raw food co-op or local company in your area.

In the meantime, Iā€™d cut back on the amount of food youā€™re feeding and then throw in a handful of green beans which will help make up for the decrease in food.

Has the green beans helped We started Max on string beans and broccoli to hopefully have him his lose weight

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh man! Florida has a great Prey-Model Raw Co-op! Wonder if your family can ship a cooler of raw food through the Flat Rate USPS boxes. hmmm...

In any case, LA has several local butchers. There's probably a PMR co-op there too.

I always recommend going the extra step into Prey-Model Raw. Especially when you're tweaking dog issues. It just gives you full flexibility with the food. And because it is 100% carnivore, close to 100% of it is bioavailable to the dog which means the dog is very responsive to any "tweaking" like - amount of food, fat content, fiber content etc. with changes observable within a few days.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.