New Pup! How do I transition from chicken and rice to new kibble?

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Hi! My new pup Mochi is 3 months old and I am currently feeding her rice and chicken for her meals and I also give her Royal Canin as her treats which amounts to maybe a half a cup a day of kibble. I got her a month ago and the breeder was feeding her royal canin so thats what we started her on but she had really bad diarrhea and a few days later, we found out she had giardia. Because of this, I switched her to boiled chicken and rice but still give her some royal canin. She was treated for giardia and does not have it anymore and her stool now has some form to it but still soft. I was thinking of switching her to Acana beef and pumpkin (having read that royal canin is bad), but Im not sure if this would be a good one to start with or should I get any other one from Acana like the duck one. I also was wondering if you guys have any advice on how I should transition from rice and chicken (with some royal canin given as treats) to Acana. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Attachments

• 20200807_183726 (2).jpg
    20200807_183726 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 244

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Hi there! Mochi is adorable! Glad to hear you got that giardia in check and taken care of. I was recently asking plenty of questions about what food to feed my lil one and I got plenty of recommendations to use pumpkin to help with transitioning food. I'm sure the food experts will come in and help out with this to give further suggestions soon. Hang tight! Everyone here is amazing!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
WELCOME!!!

Definitely stop feeding RC. Horrible food n full of grains. Also remove as treats... Simply stay away from RC, Science Hill, Purina.... full of grains, colours, chemicals, fillers....

Yes start with single protein bags like Acana Duck easier to digest. After each bag change bags to a different protein like.... Acana has Duck, lamb, pork, beef, etc... Rotation is important as when they are puppies their immune system gets use to all proteins n helps enormously for food allergies. Simply keep an eye on any allergies n like that youā€™ll know for future issues. NUT very rare puppies get allergies. Why rotation is important.

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Hi there! Mochi is adorable! Glad to hear you got that giardia in check and taken care of. I was recently asking plenty of questions about what food to feed my lil one and I got plenty of recommendations to use pumpkin to help with transitioning food. I'm sure the food experts will come in and help out with this to give further suggestions soon. Hang tight! Everyone here is amazing!

Hi and thank you so much for the advice. Your Brisket is super cute. How old? What food are you using?

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
WELCOME!!!

Definitely stop feeding RC. Horrible food n full of grains. Also remove as treats... Simply stay away from RC, Science Hill, Purina.... full of grains, colours, chemicals, fillers....

Yes start with single protein bags like Acana Duck easier to digest. After each bag change bags to a different protein like.... Acana has Duck, lamb, pork, beef, etc... Rotation is important as when they are puppies their immune system gets use to all proteins n helps enormously for food allergies. Simply keep an eye on any allergies n like that youā€™ll know for future issues. NUT very rare puppies get allergies. Why rotation is important.

Thank you so much! I will get the duck one. Do you think I can just switch it completely or just mix a little first with the rice and chicken?

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Hi and thank you so much for the advice. Your Brisket is super cute. How old? What food are you using?

Aww thank you! He knows it lol. Heā€™s only 9 weeks old and heā€™s currently on Frommā€™s puppy gold. I switched him from pedigree puppy, which is what the breeder had him on. I also add a little bit of raw food now to top off his meals per the gangā€™s recommendations.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome!

This article will help, it has a chart to guide with transitions.

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

Agree with getting off the RC and on to a high quality kibble.

Acana is a great choice as are these others, no particular order.

Zingnature
Fromm
Earthborn Holistic
Farmina
Orijen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When we have changed Castor's food, we have usualyl allowed one week for the transition (exchanging an increasing amount for the new kibble). Re. treats - try to use food instead of dog treats as treats. If it's good food, she will hopefully like it as much and it will be healthier. Easier to know how much out of the daily allowance to use, too (treats + food = daily allowance).

Welcome to the forum!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much! I will get the duck one. Do you think I can just switch it completely or just mix a little first with the rice and chicken?

Since itā€™s human food you can go straight to kibbles. Transition is usually with other kibbles brands n not within the same company brands. If youā€™re still giving RC do the transition takes about 3days. But again do stop those RC treats. At Costco they sell 100% dry beef strips. One ingredient only. Great stuff n great price. But do read your ingredients. Stick to no grains oe flours or oats etc.. Find yourself some 3ā€ size as itā€™s only a puppy marrow bones like in the photo. Marrow builds a strong immune system. Donā€™t get the jointed ones as it gives hard crumbling poop. Puppy will chew for hours n it will save your furniture n chewing on your hands.

E907448D-7F3F-40D3-854C-DDEF5D3C523F.jpeg

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Welcome!

This article will help, it has a chart to guide with transitions.

English Bulldog News Forums - Why Does My Bulldog Puppy Have Diarrhea?

Agree with getting off the RC and on to a high quality kibble.

Acana is a great choice as are these others, no particular order.

Zingnature
Fromm
Earthborn Holistic
Farmina
Orijen

Thank you so much for the advice and for the link. I just ordered the Acana duck so hopefully this will help with the soft stool��

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
When we have changed Castor's food, we have usualyl allowed one week for the transition (exchanging an increasing amount for the new kibble). Re. treats - try to use food instead of dog treats as treats. If it's good food, she will hopefully like it as much and it will be healthier. Easier to know how much out of the daily allowance to use, too (treats + food = daily allowance).

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much! I was trying to stick to just her food to use as treats but unfortunately it was royal canine so it was still not good for her. I just ordered acana and plan to give that as her treat as well. Hopefully she likes it��

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
Since itā€™s human food you can go straight to kibbles. Transition is usually with other kibbles brands n not within the same company brands. If youā€™re still giving RC do the transition takes about 3days. But again do stop those RC treats. At Costco they sell 100% dry beef strips. One ingredient only. Great stuff n great price. But do read your ingredients. Stick to no grains oe flours or oats etc.. Find yourself some 3ā€ size as itā€™s only a puppy marrow bones like in the photo. Marrow builds a strong immune system. Donā€™t get the jointed ones as it gives hard crumbling poop. Puppy will chew for hours n it will save your furniture n chewing on your hands.

View attachment 119574

Thank you so much for the help. I will switch the rice and chicken to acana tomorrow and also do away with giving her RC as treats. I will also be on the look out for the strips at Costco and see where I can get some marrow. I definitely need it because my baby shark chews on anything and everything but her favorites are my legs and my hubs face��

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much for the help. I will switch the rice and chicken to acana tomorrow and also do away with giving her RC as treats. I will also be on the look out for the strips at Costco and see where I can get some marrow. I definitely need it because my baby shark chews on anything and everything but her favorites are my legs and my hubs faceļæ½ļæ½

You can get them at some pet shops, your grocery stores or butchers:) I feed them to my dogs frozen.

OP
Mochi

Mochi

Aug 11, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mochi
You can get them at some pet shops, your grocery stores or butchers:) I feed them to my dogs frozen.

Oh ok! I will check my grocery store and see if they have them. Thanks so much!:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh ok! I will check my grocery store and see if they have them. Thanks so much!:)

Some places call them soup bones

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online