KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Brisket was purchased at 6 weeks old from a local breeder. He was on pedigree puppy dry food with a mix of soft food. He eats 4 times a day with about 1/4 and 1.5 Tbs of wet food each time. However, since I brought him home, I noticed his doodie is really soft, kind of diarrhea like. I want to switch him to a food that will work better for his health and address the diarrhea issue, and wanted to get some recommendations. As of now we don’t know Of any allergies, and will double check with the vet this week, but wanted to have some suggestions available to talk to her about in the office so that we can choose the best food for him.

Also, any suggestions on weaning him off of soft food? I think that may be what is causing the soft stools. We tried some thicker food and it has helped a little.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
There are GREAT food gurus here that will be along soon to give you good advice. ( I am not one of them). They will direct you to the good choices. My Jackson is on Fromms 4 star. I started him on the Fromms Gold puppy, but transitioned him to the 4 star at 7 months. It is good for all stages. I switch off his protein every bag (about every 6 weeks). The theory is that it prevents allergies down the road. I did not go with grain free due to the controversy of late about grain free and heart issues. That said, if I thought he was developing allergies, I would indeed go to grain free. There is a list of good dog foods on this site- you may want to check it out and educate before you get the advice that is coming - so you know what they are talking about. You could try to put a small amount of canned pumpkin in his food-( 100% PURE Pumpkin). This helps with digestion and especially during transition from one food to the next. Good Luck!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
PS: I have yet to find a vet that does not advocate for Hills Science Diet :fie:. I just nod and move on.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
PS: I have yet to find a vet that does not advocate for Hills Science Diet :fie:. I just nod and move on.

I will keep this in mind. Hills Science Diet (nono) got it!

I will go ahead and check out Fromms. I've heard quite a bit about it, but haven't seen any in local stores so may have to order online. When you say you switch out his protein does it affect his digestion in between transitions? I will try the pumpkin. Thanks a lot.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will keep this in mind. Hills Science Diet (nono) got it!

I will go ahead and check out Fromms. I've heard quite a bit about it, but haven't seen any in local stores so may have to order online. When you say you switch out his protein does it affect his digestion in between transitions? I will try the pumpkin. Thanks a lot.

I get mine thru Pet Flow. The puppy food does not have different protein options. The 4 star does and they do not need to transition between the change. That is what I like about it. I will tag the foodies here! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] @ 2bullymama

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I get mine thru Pet Flow. The puppy food does not have different protein options. The 4 star does and they do not need to transition between the change. That is what I like about it. I will tag the foodies here! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] @ 2bullymama

I actually found a local pet pantry that has it! Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I actually found a local pet pantry that has it! Thanks!

Subscribe to dog food advisor to stay up to date on top quality food, recalls etc...

Like most knows if it’s kibbles I would prefer Acana single protein bags even for pups. Fromm is another good one n Zignature... Because it’s a pup, start now with the SINGLE protein bags as it’s easier to monitor IF any allergies. Then try another bag n monitor...etc etc.. like that you can eliminate that protein from is diet if any allergies. My dogs always ate chicken as pups. Never had issues to this day. They eat any protein out there n still good. The trick is to rotate proteins. Their body will get use to it n he will have less allergies IF any. Bare in mind something’s it can be example the sweet potato that triggers or a legume. So by keeping a journal till he rotations are done is a great idea so some. Rotation is a bit more effort but once they hit 8months to a yr old, you’ll know what he can have n not. No brainer after that as they age. Most allergies are from food. Why often I see owner’s simply giving same food for years then boom allergies. Why I find start them young with rotating their food. If you can I would go with a raw diet immediately. You’ll see less of your vet. Just a thought:)

If you look up my name you’ll see tons of food topics. It will help you out.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Subscribe to dog food advisor to stay up to date on top quality food, recalls etc...

Like most knows if it’s kibbles I would prefer Acana single protein bags even for pups. Fromm is another good one n Zignature... Because it’s a pup, start now with the SINGLE protein bags as it’s easier to monitor IF any allergies. Then try another bag n monitor...etc etc.. like that you can eliminate that protein from is diet if any allergies. My dogs always ate chicken as pups. Never had issues to this day. They eat any protein out there n still good. The trick is to rotate proteins. Their body will get use to it n he will have less allergies IF any. Bare in mind something’s it can be example the sweet potato that triggers or a legume. So by keeping a journal till he rotations are done is a great idea so some. Rotation is a bit more effort but once they hit 8months to a yr old, you’ll know what he can have n not. No brainer after that as they age. Most allergies are from food. Why often I see owner’s simply giving same food for years then boom allergies. Why I find start them young with rotating their food. If you can I would go with a raw diet immediately. You’ll see less of your vet. Just a thought:)

If you look up my name you’ll see tons of food topics. It will help you out.

Do you have any raw diet recommendations? I have never bought any kind of raw diet food for any of my previous pets. Per [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] 's suggestion, I had my husband go out and buy Brisket a bag of Fromm's Gold Puppy food, and I bought some pure pumpkin to help with the transition off of Pedigree puppy. He likes soft food quite a bit, is there anything I can add to the dry food? I'm new to owning a Bully and I want him as healthy as possible if I can help it. I know rotating proteins is a good idea. With pedigree puppy, I was adding wet food based on different proteins, but the only reason why I stuck with that brand was because it was what the breeder started him on. I knew it wasn't the best option for him so want to get him on the best diet possible as soon as possible.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Do you have any raw diet recommendations? I have never bought any kind of raw diet food for any of my previous pets. Per [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION] 's suggestion, I had my husband go out and buy Brisket a bag of Fromm's Gold Puppy food, and I bought some pure pumpkin to help with the transition off of Pedigree puppy. He likes soft food quite a bit, is there anything I can add to the dry food? I'm new to owning a Bully and I want him as healthy as possible if I can help it. I know rotating proteins is a good idea. With pedigree puppy, I was adding wet food based on different proteins, but the only reason why I stuck with that brand was because it was what the breeder started him on. I knew it wasn't the best option for him so want to get him on the best diet possible as soon as possible.

I feed a frozen commercial raw that is either in patties, nuggets or chubs. They are already appropriately balanced with the meat/organ/bone ratio. You can usually find them in a boutique pet store (not Petsmart/Petco). Some of the brands I use are Stella & Chewy's, Steve's, NW Natural, Tucker's, Primal. There are other brands as well.

Feeding a puppy is a little different than feeding an adult dog as they need essential nutrients. Here is a website you can look at - https://perfectlyrawsome.com/raw-feeding-puppy-guides/

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I feed a frozen commercial raw that is either in patties, nuggets or chubs. They are already appropriately balanced with the meat/organ/bone ratio. You can usually find them in a boutique pet store (not Petsmart/Petco). Some of the brands I use are Stella & Chewy's, Steve's, NW Natural, Tucker's, Primal. There are other brands as well.

Feeding a puppy is a little different than feeding an adult dog as they need essential nutrients. Here is a website you can look at - https://perfectlyrawsome.com/raw-feeding-puppy-guides/

Thanks! Will definitely see if the local Paw Pantry carries something similar for puppies.

NickT

May 25, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
George
New dog owner here.

My pup started on Fromm Puppy Gold but didn't love the taste. I did a lot of research and decided to go with Orijen Puppy based on dogfoodadvisor.com ingredient content which was better than the Fromm and other general reviews. He loves it. The Orijen adult also is 5 star rated for adult transition.

Based on the same research I also give 2-6 pieces of Stewart's Freeze Dried Raw Chicken as a topper for lunch and dinner. For Breakfast a spoonful of no added sugar 0% fat greek yoghurt.

Good luck

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
New dog owner here.

My pup started on Fromm Puppy Gold but didn't love the taste. I did a lot of research and decided to go with Orijen Puppy based on dogfoodadvisor.com ingredient content which was better than the Fromm and other general reviews. He loves it. The Orijen adult also is 5 star rated for adult transition.

Based on the same research I also give 2-6 pieces of Stewart's Freeze Dried Raw Chicken as a topper for lunch and dinner. For Breakfast a spoonful of no added sugar 0% fat greek yoghurt.

Good luck

Thanks for your input Nick. My husband bought a small bag of Fromm's so that Brisket can try it out. If it doesn't sit well with him, I'll check out Orijen.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! Will definitely see if the local Paw Pantry carries something similar for puppies.

I’m in Canada so like Citte answered you n others will too, up here it’s not going to be the same companies n price..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
New dog owner here.

Good luck

Orijen n Acana is made by the same company. I’ve fed my German Shepherd only Orijen back them . He was extremely active n EB will never move like a GS so...Orijen is very high n rich in calories. As your pup gets older, keep an eye out on the weight. You might want to switch to Acana later on. Great job feeding your dog!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Here’s the ratio of the raw I buy.. it will give you an idea. Also, best probiotic for any dg/cat is frozen green smelly tripe... you’ll find it at your pet shop. Yes it smells but extremely good for them. Builds the immune system... I use it as their snack.

52C8DA47-7C06-4744-9104-73AD83D881A4.jpeg73041490-9268-48C3-B738-2A5F64BAC333.jpeg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.