KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Hereā€™s the ratio of the raw I buy.. it will give you an idea. Also, best probiotic for any dg/cat is frozen green smelly tripe... youā€™ll find it at your pet shop. Yes it smells but extremely good for them. Builds the immune system... I use it as their snack.

View attachment 119541View attachment 119542

Going by the pet pantry today, will see if I can find something similar. Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Going by the pet pantry today, will see if I can find something similar. Thanks a lot

Youā€™re not going to find that at your pet shop as itā€™s privately made on a farm in my area.. itā€™s only to guide you for the ratios..

Hereā€™s a great link to understand what to do... :)

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/raw-fe...mddi48udUe0FsJ3nrKi1zEOGXOyAWf_iRuyue3ctju4qs

For the holistic way
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...th/57090-holistic-approach-12.html#post772744

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Do you have any raw diet recommendations? I have never bought any kind of raw diet food for any of my previous pets. Per @mer55 's suggestion, I had my husband go out and buy Brisket a bag of Fromm's Gold Puppy food, and I bought some pure pumpkin to help with the transition off of Pedigree puppy. He likes soft food quite a bit, is there anything I can add to the dry food? I'm new to owning a Bully and I want him as healthy as possible if I can help it. I know rotating proteins is a good idea. With pedigree puppy, I was adding wet food based on different proteins, but the only reason why I stuck with that brand was because it was what the breeder started him on. I knew it wasn't the best option for him so want to get him on the best diet possible as soon as possible.
I highly recommend adding warm water to his food. I still do that with Jackson. I don't wait until it gets soft, but it helps get the food down their narrow throat. I would start with just a teaspoon of pumpkin. Once he really acclimates to fromms, if you want to add some low sodium broth in place of water that is fine. I did a lot of research on raw with my first bully who had all kind of food issues. I just did not want to do the "real raw"- ie- a whole raw chicken leg, liver, etc etc. And the raw packaged is very expensive. Fromms is not cheap but it is made in America, family owned business and Jackson is doing great on the 4 Star. Hopefully your pup will adjust just fine. Keep us posted and keep the pics coming!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice from the team some other food you can try if you want to stay with kibble is earthborn holistic, Zingnature and for farmina.

If you are in the PA Nj area I have a local raw food source I could share

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I highly recommend adding warm water to his food. I still do that with Jackson. I don't wait until it gets soft, but it helps get the food down their narrow throat. I would start with just a teaspoon of pumpkin. Once he really acclimates to fromms, if you want to add some low sodium broth in place of water that is fine. I did a lot of research on raw with my first bully who had all kind of food issues. I just did not want to do the "real raw"- ie- a whole raw chicken leg, liver, etc etc. And the raw packaged is very expensive. Fromms is not cheap but it is made in America, family owned business and Jackson is doing great on the 4 Star. Hopefully your pup will adjust just fine. Keep us posted and keep the pics coming!!

Warm water is a good suggestion. We went ahead and got him the Fromms puppy gold, and he seems to like it. I am adding pumpkin to it for now until he gets used to it but havenā€™t had any issues so far.

I agree the whole raw thing is new to me and Iā€™m kind of unsure of it. The packages are super expensive thatā€™s why I wanted to make sure I was getting what he needed before actually going that route and throwing away money. I read on the forum about the real raw and how getting animals for them is good for them suck as duck, rabbit, etc. we have a pet lion head bunny and my son was next to me when I was reading it and the look he gave me and the stunned silence followed by a ā€œdonā€™t even think about itā€ was priceless! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Warm water is a good suggestion. We went ahead and got him the Fromms puppy gold, and he seems to like it. I am adding pumpkin to it for now until he gets used to it but havenā€™t had any issues so far.

I agree the whole raw thing is new to me and Iā€™m kind of unsure of it. The packages are super expensive thatā€™s why I wanted to make sure I was getting what he needed before actually going that route and throwing away money. I read on the forum about the real raw and how getting animals for them is good for them suck as duck, rabbit, etc. we have a pet lion head bunny and my son was next to me when I was reading it and the look he gave me and the stunned silence followed by a ā€œdonā€™t even think about itā€ was priceless! [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

LOL! Your son is SOOOOOO right!! I must say, it has saved a lot of bullies when all other food failed. My own experience was trial and error and I made ALOT of mistakes with Bogey ( now 8) but this time the breeder had him on Fromm's puppy gold, and I stuck with it. No problems what-so-ever.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
LOL! Your son is SOOOOOO right!! I must say, it has saved a lot of bullies when all other food failed. My own experience was trial and error and I made ALOT of mistakes with Bogey ( now 8) but this time the breeder had him on Fromm's puppy gold, and I stuck with it. No problems what-so-ever.

Thanks for your input. I think I will go ahead and stick with Fromms as long as I donā€™t have any issues and if some do arise and raw food is a good option, then I will begin adding it.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I hate to dump on breeders (I know it's not an easy job)... but Brisket's maternity ward are throwing up red flags for me... letting go of an EB puppy at 6 weeks, feeding Purina... ugh.

Anyway, Brisket is cute and a half. You got a great looking pup there!

Ok, as far as raw recommendations. I recommend prey-model. Get to know your local butcher and you can get great deals. I can feed my dogs PMR for under $1.50/lb.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I hate to dump on breeders (I know it's not an easy job)... but Brisket's maternity ward are throwing up red flags for me... letting go of an EB puppy at 6 weeks, feeding Purina... ugh.

Anyway, Brisket is cute and a half. You got a great looking pup there!

Ok, as far as raw recommendations. I recommend prey-model. Get to know your local butcher and you can get great deals. I can feed my dogs PMR for under $1.50/lb.

Yea I know!! Thatā€™s what I said, but I would have rather taken him than leave him with her and possible sell him to someone else that wouldnā€™t take care of him the way he needs. And he was the runt so making sure he is taken care of as best as possible.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.