Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Dog Food...

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Hi there, I have been going back n forth on what to feed Memphis because I want him to have the best start possible n not have to worry about allergies at all. I realize it is trial n error n planned on starting w FROMM since it is highly recommended here but I cant seem to find it. I am sure I can order it online but I did find a dog food speciality store that recommended Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe n Fish for him since Bulldogs r prone to allergies etc. Has any one here fed this or r currently feeding it? She had more expensive stuff so for her to recommed this I thought maybe she knew what she was talking about... I did see that it is only a 4* on the dog food rating chart so that worries me...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
First off 4 star doesnt make it bad. Just doesnt make it the best there is. If you want to feed the best for your pup then I would maybe look into something else BUT by all means if you want to try this dont feel like you are the worst person ever. I havent tried that brand so I have no help there. Also if you are trying to get fromm and cant you can talk to the stores themselves and see if they wont special order you some as you need it. I know that is what I was going to have to do but found petflow so I use that instead. The stores already get other foods from the company that distributes fromm so it wouldnt be a big deal for them to just get a bag for you when the time comes. Dont remember which distributor it is tho.

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
First off 4 star doesnt make it bad. Just doesnt make it the best there is. If you want to feed the best for your pup then I would maybe look into something else BUT by all means if you want to try this dont feel like you are the worst person ever. I havent tried that brand so I have no help there. Also if you are trying to get fromm and cant you can talk to the stores themselves and see if they wont special order you some as you need it. I know that is what I was going to have to do but found petflow so I use that instead. The stores already get other foods from the company that distributes fromm so it wouldnt be a big deal for them to just get a bag for you when the time comes. Dont remember which distributor it is tho.

Thanks so much... Do u feed Fromm?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I do now but have gone thru MANY brands before this one that werent bad either. Avoderm is a good brand also and not as high in the rankings. Maybe the store has that one? I think if I remember correctly the dick van pattens did have a recall not too long ago for salmonella, not 100% on it but it soudns familiar to me. (course so many have been recalled that is scary enough)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi @beka bardwell..Jake and my non bully are both on dvp natural balance..the ultra classic formula..which is not a limited ingredient formula. It is an all stage food and so far..(knock knock)..we have been very pleased. We have friends who have much older bullies and they use the limited ingredients and switch flavors..with great success. I know some here have a few questions about it..I think because some of the limited ingredient flavors are potato heavy.I was considering a switch for Jake because every one here likes both Fromm and natural variety. I have decided not too mess with him unless he develops problems. You will get great advice here..from people who really know about food. Me..I only know about my personal experiences. Good luck!

dozersmom

Jun 19, 2010
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel /- Dozer RIP
Hi we feed our Diesel the Sweet Potato & Fish and he Loves it, we did try to switch him over a while ago to the Bison, but for some reason he developed the tear stains, so we are back on the S P & Fish. He loves it, and we get many compliments how beautiful his coat is, its very soft, and like you, we didnt have access to the FROMM but are very very happy with DVP's line.. They have a great informative website also.. oh one more thing, we had a Bully before Diesel, and he never looked this good and had terrible terrible allergies, we WISH we had known about this years ago.. What a difference food can make, Good luck with your decision, keep us all posted !..:up:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I fed my Samson the same Natural Balance you are feeding, the Sweet Potato and Salmon, for at least 2 years and Samson did wonderful on it! Not all foods are right for all bullys, Natural Balance may work for Samson but not another persons bully. As long as you are feeding between 4 and 6 star you are ok. I did end up switching from Natural Balance to Fromm because I feel Fromm does strive for the best product possible more so than Natural Balance does. Well that was what I found from my own personal research. If you decide to switch to Fromm try petflow.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I remember correctly the dick van pattens did have a recall not too long ago for salmonella, not 100% on it but it soudns familiar to me. (course so many have been recalled that is scary enough)

Yes--you are correct but it I believe it was only the chicken flavor--thank goodness we don't feet chicken! I was all over that press release when it hit!!

Lucy is currently on the DVP sweet potato and venison. We have also had success with the sweet potato and duck version. We supplement with omega 3 fish oil and she is really doing so well at the moment. She has numerous food allergies that we have discovered by elimination. She can't have chicken, beef, bison, eggs, cheese, yogurt, grains and the list goes on. So for our girl--this is the BEST quality food she can eat without a reaction. I do give her apples, blueberries, carrots, peas as treats too.

So to answer your question DVP is a good choice because they have the LID formula. One protein and one carb. It is a great place to start if you are trying an elimination diet or your pup is allergic to other popular proteins.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
[/I] Yes--you are correct but it I believe it was only the chicken flavor--thank goodness we don't feet chicken! I was all over that press release when it hit!!

Lucy is currently on the DVP sweet potato and venison. We have also had success with the sweet potato and duck version. We supplement with omega 3 fish oil and she is really doing so well at the moment. She has numerous food allergies that we have discovered by elimination. She can't have chicken, beef, bison, eggs, cheese, yogurt, grains and the list goes on. So for our girl--this is the BEST quality food she can eat without a reaction. I do give her apples, blueberries, carrots, peas as treats too.

So to answer your question DVP is a good choice because they have the LID formula. One protein and one carb. It is a great place to start if you are trying an elimination diet or your pup is allergic to other popular proteins.

I agree we had Duke on the DVP duck and potato for over a year and he did fantastic on it.his last check up all bloodwork was very good and his weight was excellent. Now Duke ( being Duke) we found out has NO food allergies.. his allergies were so bad we had him tested both ways.. he is allergic to wool and mold.. so now that we have eliminated that it is NOT food we just switched to the Natures Variety instinct formula to try to help build his immune system up a bit.. he was on a low dose steroid every other day for almost a year so many suggested giving him this food. so to answer your question I agree this is a great choice for you to try.. hope that helps! oh and yes great idea to supplement with the omega fish oil.. we did that also!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi there! I have been feeding Mocha Natural Balance LID for a year and She has done so well on this food. She has no allergies , her bowel movements are great and her coat is so shinny! And a plus-No gass:up:I have alternated with California Naturals , but She didnt seem to do as well with that. This food came highly recomended by a friend whom also did the Raw diet on her Pitbull,Olde English bulldoge and English Bulldog.Her pittbull had horrible allergies at one time. They also have LID treats and Canned food. I do rememeber they did had a recall and one of the brands of can food, but they are very good about letting the consumers know. But everydog is diferent and what works for one doesnt work for the others. Hope I was able to help and good luck:heart:

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
I have switched Memphis from DVP NB Salmon to NVI Duck and he is doing awesome... He was doing fine on the other but i wanted to switch him due to his stool still being to soft. It has since firmed up big time n theres less of it which is also a plus lol... His coat looks amazing! I am so glad that I found this site n the info on what food is great for Bulldogs!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so glad you have found something that works good for Memphis! Isnt that the best feeling to know they are eating well? :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is awesome I am glad you found a great food, it does make such a difference!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So glad you found the best food for him as well. I find that it can make a world of a difference with our bullies!

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Well, its been a couple of weeks n since I switched Memphis from DVP NB to NV Instinct he is pooping ALLOT! UGGGGG One thing I noticed before was how little he was pooping but now its back w a vengence! He is pooping ALLOT n ALL the time like he was when he was on Iams. Natures Variety was one of the better food buts I may have to go back to DVP Natural Balance cause this is crazy lol...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.