At A Loss... What Should I Feed Her?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Note on raw: It's normal to have loose stools the first time they get on raw.

But since you're getting on with a nutritionist, I'm sure your cute pup will be all taken care of.

Note on running: Bullies are a bundle of energy before 3 years old. When they get around 3 years of age they slow down drastically. My bully was catching frisbees and I'll tire out before he does. Then right between 3 and 4 years old, it's like some old man took over his body and he'd chase the frisbee a few times and plop down... but he's too stubborn to stop so he drops the frisbee at my feet wanting me to throw it, I throw it, he takes a few steps and flops looking at me like, "the spirit is willing but my chest is too big" hah hah.

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Oh, really?? I didn't know that. I'm seriously going to considering giving raw another try then. The nutritionalist I spoke to also recommended it but I'm not sure what type of plan she is going to create for Izellah. How long should the diarrhea last when you first start feeding raw?

I figured she might do that at some point! :happy: When she was younger, she seemed to go go go nonstop and now that she's a year old, she's slowed down a bit. She still enjoys her bike rides but for the most part, she sleeps most of the day.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, really?? I didn't know that. I'm seriously going to considering giving raw another try then. The nutritionalist I spoke to also recommended it but I'm not sure what type of plan she is going to create for Izellah. How long should the diarrhea last when you first start feeding raw?

It varies. There are phases to the transition.

The normal transition would be to fast the dog for at least a day, then start the first day with a small meal of raw meaty bone like a chicken leg which is 25% bone to meat ratio. Depending on the dog, they could take to it just fine or they'd get loose stools from the change to a high moisture, low fiber food. They would usually stay on this single protein bony meal for a few days until their stomach gets used to processing it, increasing the amount until it reaches the ideal daily meal portion. Then a new protein source is added, like beef muscle meat. The dog could take to it just fine or they'd get loose stools again due to the change. They stay on this combo for a few days until they settle and then you introduce another protein source... rinse repeat... eventually, you'll have to add organs and this, more often than not, will get your dog on cannon butt before they settle again.

So yeah, the transition to raw usually takes weeks if your dog was not born into raw food.

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Okay, great! I will take this into consideration next time.

How do I calculate how much calories she should be getting a day? Since it's so hot here, we haven't been able to do much more than very short walks and lots of backyard time.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, great! I will take this into consideration next time.

How do I calculate how much calories she should be getting a day? Since it's so hot here, we haven't been able to do much more than very short walks and lots of backyard time.

With prey-model raw, I don't count calories. I look at the dog. I started with 3% of my dog's body weight in food and adjust up or down depending on how my dog looks. That's the great thing about raw feeding. It doesn't take long for your dog to bulk up or lean out depending on what you're feeding because the food is close to 100% bio-available.

OP
G

GracefulLily

May 19, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Izellah
Just wanted to post an update. Izellah has had the most perfect poops since switching her over to raw. It was a bit rocky at first but she adjusted nicely and now I have piece of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about diarrhea anymore and bad gas. Thank you, everyone! :D Her coat has also been less greasy and I haven't needed to sweep up as much hair or bathe her as often. Her teeth are also a lot cleaner without me having to force a toothbrush into her mouth. She looks a lot more lean now too. Before, she was super bloated all the time. It has made such an amazing difference in her overall health and appearance.

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Just wanted to post an update. Izellah has had the most perfect poops since switching her over to raw. It was a bit rocky at first but she adjusted nicely and now I have piece of mind knowing that I don't have to worry about diarrhea anymore and bad gas. Thank you, everyone! :D Her coat has also been less greasy and I haven't needed to sweep up as much hair or bathe her as often. Her teeth are also a lot cleaner without me having to force a toothbrush into her mouth. She looks a lot more lean now too. Before, she was super bloated all the time. It has made such an amazing difference in her overall health and appearance.

Hi! Iā€™m just curious since I am really struggling with what to feed my EBD. What raw are you feeding her?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

This was great to hear... even though im late in seeing this, im one who loves reading about foods... human and dog lol Hope things are still going great with her.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi! Iā€™m just curious since I am really struggling with what to feed my EBD. What raw are you feeding her?

Iā€™m in Canada so Iā€™ll let others answer you where they get their raw. But definitely go that route if itā€™s what youā€™re thinking. Huge difference!
I buy my raw from a local farmer in 1 lb size as 50lb dog needs 1lb a day. You can also ask locals butchers if the do raw for dogs. Bare in mind, it is NOT a piece of steak or any protein n thatā€™s it. Itā€™s a ratio thatā€™s balanced out. Bone, blood, protein, organs....make sure thereā€™s organs!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.