whats the best food to feed my 12 week old english bulldog puppy? i need help please

jermx23

Apr 17, 2011
hi i have a 12 week old puppy and i have been feeding him (puppy) blue buffalo could you tell me what is the best food to feed a bulldog puppy. i thought blue buffalo is the best for him but every site i go to is telling me different and say whats best for a bulldog and they say iams and other dog food but i heard tough have chemicals in them and fillers and grains and a whole bunch of bad stuff. what is the best food for a bulldog puppy for his joints and everything else? please help i am so confused

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I suggest checking out our Dog Food Ratings page - there is no magic food that is good for all dogs! But the Dog Food Ratings page really breaks down some of the foods and ingredients for you.

If you're looking for a high quality food, you probably want to go with a 4, 5, or 6 star food. These typically include quality ingredients, many of them are also grain free to reduce allergies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Iams does not even compare to Blue--- iams is horrible food!

Blue is not the best food but it is not the worst. I am questioning their ingredient sources tho now because I am starting to see a lot of advertising. Advertising costs big bucks, that are not going into the food.

Please check out the dog food ratings. Also I think you will see links to our other nutrition articles, frequently asked dog food questions, how to read pet food labels, and more. You can access the articles by visiting our home page and look under the sections on the left.

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
hi i have a 12 week old puppy and i have been feeding him (puppy) blue buffalo could you tell me what is the best food to feed a bulldog puppy. i thought blue buffalo is the best for him but every site i go to is telling me different and say whats best for a bulldog and they say iams and other dog food but i heard tough have chemicals in them and fillers and grains and a whole bunch of bad stuff. what is the best food for a bulldog puppy for his joints and everything else? please help i am so confused

I am in the same boat. Memphis is 12 weeks today n I am going back n forth on what food to feed him... The breeder also feed Iams n my vet recommeded Iams or Science Diet BUT they both score horrible. I started feeding Memphis Blue Buffalo puppy also when I brought him hm two wks ago but my vet said that he just went to a siminar at Vanderbelt here n Nashville n they warned againt BB due to (it was a LONG medical name) it causing a calcium build up etc which is bad on their organs UGGGGGG What to do? So i got on here n found that FROMM was great n recommended but i cant seem to find it anywhere n I wanted to get him off BB as soon as possible so I went to a speciality dog food store n they recommeded Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Sweet Potatoe N Fish because of Bulldog allergies etc. Its only a 4* dog food but i went ahead w it... I still may change him again but so far so good...

OP
J

jermx23

Apr 17, 2011
ok im stuck now whats better for a bulldog Nature's Logic Pet Foods or Fromm Family Foods?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They are both great. :up: I don't feed NL simply because I cannot get it here. But during the food trial I did with it the results were excellent. The poo was like a stone brick!

Either one is a great choice. I think you will be very happy no matter which you choose!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi [MENTION=2239]jermx23[/MENTION]..I just posted about a website i found..with the help of a family friend who is a vet. It's called DogFoodAdvisor and really helped me understand the different ingredients and what levels of protein,carbs etc are in them. I hope it helps, along with the great advice you will get here, narrow down your choices.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:bang: Im still confused.......:bang::bang::bang:

Oh [email protected]a matter? I am always confused so I know how you feel. Narrow down a few choices..put on your thinking cap and try dogfoodadvisor. Won't tell you which to pick..but in my case explained the differences and what means what. I had narrowed to Fromm and natures variety instinct..also compared to natural balance..that's what Jake is on now. Then come back here and read about different ones. I find I have to narrow to a few..think I have finally decided. Whew.now it's just when. Stresssssssss!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sometimes you can read all you like and do all kinds of research but eventually you just have to take the plunge and try a food. I do love Fromm and won't deny it, but I've also noticed that Fromm overall seems to be the favorite choice on here. After saying that you just have to get a bag and try it. Give it a few weeks to get in their system, and maybe over a period of months try a few different protein flavours. If you're not happy move on to another food.

Nobody is ever going to be able to tell you the best food to get. It's so individual to your bully and their needs. Just go for a really good, high rated food and see what happens.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sometimes you can read all you like and do all kinds of research but eventually you just have to take the plunge and try a food. I do love Fromm and won't deny it, but I've also noticed that Fromm overall seems to be the favorite choice on here. After saying that you just have to get a bag and try it. Give it a few weeks to get in their system, and maybe over a period of months try a few different protein flavours. If you're not happy move on to another food.

Nobody is ever going to be able to tell you the best food to get. It's so individual to your bully and their needs. Just go for a really good, high rated food and see what happens.

Perfect[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]..that's what I was trying to say. And the plunge is where I am now!! It is hard even when you decide which food to go with. Took me weeks to decide that!!

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
well its just that I changed Chaos back to puppy Fromm and its like he is maintaining his weight and not gaining any. he should be gaining being hes only 4 months old. he gained fine until I switched him to fromm, which I love and he loves even more!!! So now its do I try him on a different puppy food? then which one? I went to the puppy food advisor and it had chicken soup, fromm, blue buffalo, and some others all as 4 star, yet fromm is better than all of those....get why i am so frustrated??? the vets office says purina e ?? never heard of it, then the pet store says earthborn or blue buffalo, a friend who is a vet tech says totw, and I really wanted him to be on the fromm because of all the wonderful stories on here and because he really loves it sooo much....maybe one day I will be able to get him situated! I feel like a bad momma

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@luvinmybullie..in my non expert opinion..give the Fromm more time..he isn't losing and their weight gain does slow down. Chaos is about same weight and age as Jake. I don't think I would go to blue buffalo and ick to purina.think you should give Fromm at least a month. This puppy stuff is hard.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I am no help here. Matilda is a picky eater. I hafta go cheap for now until either one of us finds a job or Matilda starts showing signs of allergies.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am no help here. Matilda is a picky eater. I hafta go cheap for now until either one of us finds a job or Matilda starts showing signs of allergies.

[MENTION=2150]MatildasMommy[/MENTION]..if you belong to Costco or know someone who is..they have a very good (rating wise) dog food..darn..I can't remember the name but it's in a blue bag and I have heard good things about it. I will find the name and pm you..going there tomorrow. Might not be all stages but something to keep in mind for matilda at later date..hope your job situation improves!

Aha! It's called natures domain....wow..can't believe that thought came to the surface!lol

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.