China remains leading pet food ingredients Exporters!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Can my dog become vegan?????? I was vegetarian for so long... (over 30 years) and wish i (and Hank) could just go back and grow our own gardens :( and never kill a cow pig or what ever and have healthy vegies ....... Oh boy! Amazing what we "picture" goes into food, compared to what does,,,, and where the dang heck it comes from. I only shop small shops (Sprouts/ Trader Joe's etc) but who knows .... And Hanks is mostly premade frozen although I do mix up my own for him still at times, but dang it !!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Very interesting ! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Didn't know most taurine powder comes from China. Another reason to use frozen raw dog food which doesn't need added taurine. I'm surprised so few dog food companies have taken the pledge not to buy from China. None of the kibbles usually recommended here (Acana Singles, Earthborne Holistic Venture, Zignature) are on that list. The only kibbles that I recognize are Carna4 from Canada ( that Dr. Becker and I like ) and Farmina. The rest are mostly dehydrated and raw dog food or small companies I haven't heard of. Maybe we should be adding Carna4 Duck and Farmina to our list of kibble products we recommend in our replies, plus quoting this link below.

https://associationfortruthinpetfood.com/the-pledge/

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Very interesting ! [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Didn't know most taurine powder comes from China. Another reason to use frozen raw dog food which doesn't need added taurine. I'm surprised so few dog food companies have taken the pledge not to buy from China. None of the kibbles usually recommended here (Acana Singles, Earthborne Holistic Venture, Zignature) are on that list. The only kibbles that I recognize are Carna4 from Canada ( that Dr. Becker and I like ) and Farmina. The rest are mostly dehydrated and raw dog food or small companies I haven't heard of. Maybe we should be adding Carna4 Duck and Farmina to our list of kibble products we recommend in our replies, plus quoting this link below.

Other countries like Japan, Brazil n India also ships taurine. Taurine is important even for humans. But too much is dangerous.A lot is into energy drinks, cosmetics, contact lens solution..... I did send an email to Acana asking them where their taurine is from. I do know in Canada we are more cautious what comes into this country. Again you never know nowadays. Lately, Iā€™ve been calling Canada, CHINADA... donā€™t ask!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Purina ONCE again... my mom called me yesterday, and told me her vet told her to get Purina for her cats because it's one of the BEST foods around. What is it w/their LOVE of Purina?!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Purina ONCE again... my mom called me yesterday, and told me her vet told her to get Purina for her cats because it's one of the BEST foods around. What is it w/their LOVE of Purina?!!

They donā€™t know... remember, vets study medicine and care, not nutrition

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Itā€™s called marketing. Put an ad in a personā€™s face daily or like all dog shows has purina signs n funds the shows will brainwash a personā€™s head. ā€œOh look at these beautiful dogs all great looking, they must eat Purinaā€. Then people will start believing that product must be great. Itā€™s also the power of money n giving out free sample to vets, pet shops etc...

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So Acana replied back about taurine......

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM Customer Care <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Helene,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I can confirm that we do not source our taurine from China. In ORIJEN and ACANA we use WholePrey ratios, which means we use muscle meat, organs and bone or cartilage in our diets to provide the essential nutrients your pet needs to thrive. By using this Biologically Appropriate variety of animal ingredients in our diets, we are able to minimize the amount of synthetic supplementation. If vitamins are supplemented in the food, we source from trusted suppliers in the United States and Canada.

Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Kind regards,

Chelsea
Customer Care
Champion Petfoods LP

Toll Free 877-939-0006
#301, 1103 95 St. SW | Edmonton, AB, Canada | T6X 0P8

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So Acana replied back about taurine......

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM Customer Care <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Helene,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I can confirm that we do not source our taurine from China. In ORIJEN and ACANA we use WholePrey ratios, which means we use muscle meat, organs and bone or cartilage in our diets to provide the essential nutrients your pet needs to thrive. By using this Biologically Appropriate variety of animal ingredients in our diets, we are able to minimize the amount of synthetic supplementation. If vitamins are supplemented in the food, we source from trusted suppliers in the United States and Canada.

Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Kind regards,

Chelsea
Customer Care
Champion Petfoods LP

Toll Free 877-939-0006
#301, 1103 95 St. SW | Edmonton, AB, Canada | T6X 0P8

Good to know, but why won't they sign the pledge that they don't source from China?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Good to know, but why won't they sign the pledge that they don't source from China?

IDK... Some companies donā€™t need to sign up anything or maybe they had no clue of this pledge. IMO, trust me on this, Iā€™ve seen high end food companies swearing they go by the book n with a clean product. Lot of them are lies. Not all 100% clean. Like I just looked at your pledge list, geez many of them signed n their ingredients are not natural n some with bad fats like the example I took off your pledge sheet...

Wheat, Corn, Soy, Gluten & Grain FREE

8" PEANUT BUTTER BONE: COOKIE - Peanut Butter & Honey (see description under packaged treats) ICING - sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, carob powder, reduced mineral whey powder, whole milk solids, non fat dry milk solids, soy lecithin (emulsifier), salt, artificial flavor.

I sure wouldnā€™t feed that to my dogs....

- - - Updated - - -

IDK... Some companies donā€™t need to sign up anything or maybe they had no clue of this pledge. IMO, trust me on this, Iā€™ve seen high end food companies swearing they go by the book n with a clean product. Lot of them are lies. Not all 100% clean. Like I just looked at your pledge list, geez many of them signed n their ingredients are not natural n some with bad fats like the example I took off your pledge sheet...

Wheat, Corn, Soy, Gluten & Grain FREE

8" PEANUT BUTTER BONE: COOKIE - Peanut Butter & Honey (see description under packaged treats) ICING - sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, carob powder, reduced mineral whey powder, whole milk solids, non fat dry milk solids, soy lecithin (emulsifier), salt, artificial flavor.

I sure wouldnā€™t feed that to my dogs....

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

It says on the pledge website:

If the pet food company you support is not listed aboveā€¦
Itā€™s probably Not because they havenā€™t been asked to participate. Hundreds of emails to pet food manufacturers asking them to Pledge have been sent. As well, many pet food consumers have asked many manufacturers. Butā€¦we must continue to ask them to Pledge. Pet food consumers deserve transparency.

Also, Susan Thixton, editor of that website really does not like Champion Foods, saying they are a feed grade based dog food, not human grade, allowing them to throw in pretty much any quality of meat.
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/champion-pet-food-lawsuit-amended-risk-of-inclusion-of-pentobarbital/

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Iā€™ve been feeding Ella the Open Farm kibble which I would recommend to people. They are headquartered in Toronto. On their website they have a list of where all their ingredients are sourced from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Iā€™ve been feeding Ella the Open Farm kibble which I would recommend to people. They are headquartered in Toronto. On their website they have a list of where all their ingredients are sourced from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like good quality, and they signed the pledge ! I would serve my dog either this or the Carna4 Duck as my first choices for kibble ( if I didn't have an allergic dog that needed raw ) . But that's because I live in Canada- in USA it's hard to get Carna4. I also like the idea of dehydrated raw, which you can even get in kibble shape- in Canada we can get a really inexpensive one called Canisource GrandCru made in Quebec eg. https://www.canisource.com/grand-cru/recettes-chiens.php#turkey-url

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It says on the pledge website:

If the pet food company you support is not listed aboveā€¦
Itā€™s probably Not because they havenā€™t been asked to participate. Hundreds of emails to pet food manufacturers asking them to Pledge have been sent. As well, many pet food consumers have asked many manufacturers. Butā€¦we must continue to ask them to Pledge. Pet food consumers deserve transparency.

Also, Susan Thixton, editor of that website really does not like Champion Foods, saying they are a feed grade based dog food, not human grade, allowing them to throw in pretty much any quality of meat.
https://truthaboutpetfood.com/champion-pet-food-lawsuit-amended-risk-of-inclusion-of-pentobarbital/

I have nothing against that website or Susan Thixton, as itā€™s ok.. but donā€™t mean sheā€™s right in everything she says. Thereā€™s a big difference in the Champion pet food in Canada n the plant in Kentucky. Kentucky wanted to change a few products n use their own and it didnā€™t work. Donā€™t change whatā€™s not broken I say. All website, you take some n leave some. Even when I give my 2 cents, take some n leave some. It works for my dogs n might not for others. But before putting down something, try it n if it didnā€™t work after time, well move on. Just like some website. When I see petitions, most of the time I avoid them because of different opinions.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve been feeding Ella the Open Farm kibble which I would recommend to people. They are headquartered in Toronto. On their website they have a list of where all their ingredients are sourced from. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which bag?

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.