What to do......

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos is now 4 months and old. He has transitioned well to the Fromm and loves the puppy food which the vet had me to change him back to since his weight gain was stalled and he was actually loosing weight. That has been great except he has a lil more gas with the puppy food than the 4 star foods. According to the puppy bag, for his age it says to feed him 2 cups a day. He cries everytime I only put 1 cup per feeding in his bowl, so I give him more. I know I am overfeeding him, but he is barely satisfied with 2 cups per feeding!!!! He would eat more than that if I let him! His weight is good, hes not too fat, he weighs 20 lbs. Is this okay or what should I do to cut him back...he doesn't like green beans????

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I wish I had the answer for you. My Jake is also 4 months old..actually 4 1/2...he weighs 25..I think chaos looks fine. Is he gaining weight again? I am sure that's the most important thing. Someone familiar with Fromm will certainly help you asap..I just wanted to let you know that these guys weight is all over the place! He is adorable!

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
he has only been on the puppy food around 2 weeks and will go back to the vet in a week or so. To me, he seems like he is gaining again. He had only lost 2 lbs. I just wonder, if he eats 2 cups per feeding (he's fed twice a day) think of what he will eat when hes older :eek:

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
I free feed our Bully and have never had a problem with overeating. Now an adult she is a perfect 43 Lbs. We also use orijen, I think it's the best food on the market. We still free feed her, so she slways has food out. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
he is kenneled while we aren't home, so free feeding is not an option for us. Also, it helps with him still potty training for him to be on a schedule. But thats good to know.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
The thing about bulldogs is that they are ALWAYS hungry and ALWAYS eat like they are starving, don't they?!

It sounds like you know feeding up to four cups a day is a bit too much. Puppies might need a little extra because it takes energy to grow and they are more active so it's okay to feed them a bit more but that sounds like a lot. I understand how you feel because your puppy really seems hungry but I firmly believe I could feed my 11 month old an entire bag of food and he would still look at me like he hasn't eaten in the past year. But once a bulldog gets too heavy, it is very hard to get the weight off of them so good eating habits are important to develop now.

So I guess what I'm saying is, especially with bulldogs, you can't feed them more just because they seem hungry. They always seem hungry - an affliction I can relate to myself! :D

One strategy, if it is possible for you, is feeding him three times a day. I ran into a similar issue as you with my puppy Truman. After he had major hip surgery, he was eating an all stages food (NVI) and he wasn't gaining weight and his immune system seemed compromised so the vet recommended we feed puppy food again. I fed him Innova puppy and he started doing better. I fed him 3/4 cup of food, three times per day until I finally switched him to feeding 1 cup of NVI, 2 times per day, when he was six months old.

Like you, my dogs are not big fans of beans so now I stick with 1 cup of kibble, twice a day and supplement with grain free treats.

For reference, my 77 pound bulldog eats one cup of food, twice per day. My 11 month old, 50 pound bulldog eats the same and he's an extremely active bulldog. Both eat NVI Beef and Lamb.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know..I bet when he goes off puppy food and onto regular Fromm..he won't need as much. I remember reading here that people don't need to feed as much. Just a thought. Jake gets 3/4 cup..3times a day..but I have him on an all at ages dog food from dvp..not puppy. I do plan on cutting out the middle feeding at 6 months and increasing kibble to 1 cup..but you know what happens to plans..lol

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
its probably more like 3 1/2 cups a day, but that is alot! I don't know, guess I'll wait and see if he's gaining again at the vet next week. If he is, I will try to lessen and try to feed 3 x a day even though I'm not sure this is an option for us due to work. If he's not gaining I may change his food all together.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] he was on the all stage Fromm but thats when he began loosing weight, so thats when the vet suggested trying him back on a puppy food for now ...?.?.? This food thing has really been driving me crazy!!!! :bang::bang::bang:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
its probably more like 3 1/2 cups a day, but that is alot! I don't know, guess I'll wait and see if he's gaining again at the vet next week. If he is, I will try to lessen and try to feed 3 x a day even though I'm not sure this is an option for us due to work. If he's not gaining I may change his food all together.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] he was on the all stage Fromm but thats when he began loosing weight, so thats when the vet suggested trying him back on a puppy food for now ...?.?.? This food thing has really been driving me crazy!!!! :bang::bang::bang:

Awww..luvinmybullie..don't be so hard on yourself. It's all a learning experience for all of us!! You aren't feeding THAT much more than me! In total..Jake gets 2 1/3 cup..and chaos is on puppy..you always feed more puppy food..just don't worry about it until he goes to vet. Don't stress about the middle feeding either. A lot of pups get twice a day. Just want him to stop losing and start gaining. I only put Jake on an all stage food because I wanted to be able to feed both of my dogs the same food..if possible..so I switched Jake off the crappy Iams puppy he was on when we brought him home..and our other girl at the same time. Chaos is needing more calories and I'm sure that's why your vet wanted him on puppy. Take a deep breath..and just keep doing what you are until chaos is comfortable! You are a good bully mom..chaos is wonderful..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Have you tried the green beans frozen?

Maybe do 1.5 c twice a day and stick with it. Dont worry he won't starve. You are so cute! My bullies would eat a whole bag in one sitting if they could!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Orion will sit by her dish after licking it for 30 minutes with that look on her face. When he goes back on Fromm, use the Vegas Stew as a filler. Maybe he wont notice that you've cut him back to the correct amount of food if you add some stew to it. It's high in fiber and it's all good stuff. You can buy the ingredients fresh ...and not have to worry about all the additives. Cabbage, tomatoes, mushrooms, green beans, and bell peppers. Simmer for about 5 hours. In my house..when they start smelling it, they start drooling. Simmering it for that long helps break down all the "gas" building clouds that may form in the southern region of the bulldog's body. Vegas and Orion have not experienced added gas because of eating it.

Try it. Maybe he won't notice the green beans mixed in with all the other stuff.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1722]Terry[/MENTION] I also used to free feed and loved it! My boys never over ate and there was always food out. In fact I never even measured what was given, just enough to keep the bowl full. Then when I switched to fromm Cutty became a pig. I dont know if there is crack in the food or what but have gone thru MANY diff brands of food and none were a problem until now. Cutty gained weight for the first time so now they are fed like every other dog out there. lol Kinda sucks actually having to remember to feed them can be a challenge. haha I miss free feeding!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You can try other veggies besides green beans. Mine like carrots and peas. They also seem to like it better when it is frozen or VERY fresh. I also will add some plain yogurt into their bowl once they have finished the kibble. They LOVE that!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I used to give tons of carrots ( frozen) as treats, and put peas in their food. The vet who suggested the green beans was specifically for Mandy, to help her loose weight. She told me to limit the carrots and peas because they have sugar/calories in them. She said using the green beans will help fill them up, not be as hungry, no sugar, just vitamins and no calories. I still give them these, just not as much as I used to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.