Need dog food recommendations for an older bulldog.

californiarufio

Apr 3, 2013
Southern California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufio
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in this forum in forever but I am excited to read everyone's responses. My English Bulldog (Rufio) is about 7 years old. We have tried many different foods in hopes to help his allergies and yeast infections. We finally arrived on human grade food and have been using a company that delivers it fresh to our door for about a year now. Initially, it seemed to help his skin but now he is getting diarrhea about once a month. We took him to the vet and he said it might just be because he is getting older.

I guess my question is, should we try in switch his food up again? Does anyone have any food recommendations for an older bulldog? Also, we have been giving him a probiotic once a day.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in this forum in forever but I am excited to read everyone's responses. My English Bulldog (Rufio) is about 7 years old. We have tried many different foods in hopes to help his allergies and yeast infections. We finally arrived on human grade food and have been using a company that delivers it fresh to our door for about a year now. Initially, it seemed to help his skin but now he is getting diarrhea about once a month. We took him to the vet and he said it might just be because he is getting older.

I guess my question is, should we try in switch his food up again? Does anyone have any food recommendations for an older bulldog? Also, we have been giving him a probiotic once a day.

I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

What brand is the food or their website?

After a year of quality food n just now having diarrhea, I doubt very much is the food. I would start with that. Is there some different you are giving him that’s new since you mentioned once a month of diarrhea only or did the food company changed an ingredient or added a new ingredient? If nothing was changed I would have the poop analyzed.

OP
C

californiarufio

Apr 3, 2013
Southern California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufio
I started giving him a probiotic after his first initial bout with the diarrhea. I will have to contact the company that makes his food. Thanks!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Good suggestions above !! There's a lot of causes of diarrhea. Is he having regular stools at normal intervals? If not I would add some canned pumpkin ( not pie filling type ) to his diet. And I would recommend frozen raw food over fresh cooked human grade food. You can also try an empiric course of fenbendazole 50 mg/kg daily
for 3 days and repeated in two weeks, since it's very well tolerated.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I started giving him a probiotic after his first initial bout with the diarrhea. I will have to contact the company that makes his food. Thanks!

Adding probiotic as pill form/powder? Probiotics will/can give some diarrhea if it’s newly introduced. The gut is making adjustments. One reason why I like giving probiotics in food form like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Your food you order isis raw or cooked?

OP
C

californiarufio

Apr 3, 2013
Southern California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufio
Good suggestions above !! There's a lot of causes of diarrhea. Is he having regular stools at normal intervals? If not I would add some canned pumpkin ( not pie filling type ) to his diet. And I would recommend frozen raw food over fresh cooked human grade food. You can also try an empiric course of fenbendazole 50 mg/kg daily
for 3 days and repeated in two weeks, since it's very well tolerated.

He is having normal stools, twice a day. It seems like this happens about once a month or so. Why would you recommend frozen raw food or fresh cooked food. To clarify, it's cooked food that comes frozen.

OP
C

californiarufio

Apr 3, 2013
Southern California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufio
Adding probiotic as pill form/powder? Probiotics will/can give some diarrhea if it’s newly introduced. The gut is making adjustments. One reason why I like giving probiotics in food form like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Your food you order isis raw or cooked?

I give him Zesty Paws Probiotic Bites. The food is cooked but comes frozen.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'd recommend raw food over cooked food for dogs with allergies, since the freezing process doesn't denature proteins or kill bacteria, just kills any parasitic worms. Dogs who eat raw food have less allergies, at least for most of the bulldogs who have tried it on this web site. The probiotic bites you are giving should be fine, but you don't need to give it all the time, maybe a week on week off would be better.

Are you feeding him any marrow bones? Those give my dog a loose bm after usually. If you give more often than twice a week they can cause pancreatitis since they are so fatty.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I looked at the formulation of the Probiotic bites, and one thing worries me - they have some ingredients which could cause an allergy in your dog. eg. rosemary extract and natural chicken flavouring.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I looked at the formulation of the Probiotic bites, and one thing worries me - they have some ingredients which could cause an allergy in your dog. eg. rosemary extract and natural chicken flavouring.

I would be more worried about the Palm oil. Yes chicken flavouring is simply chemicals. Anything that has the word “flavour” is a no no. Goes for humans too. Rosemary Extract is ok but not on daily basis or if you have a dog that does seizures. There’s really no scientific proof for seizures in dogs but does on humans. My motto is a dog do actually have the same health issues as humans so why I would avoid daily consumption of rosemary extra. Fresh is better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great info from the gang.... my question is what protein are you using ?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.