Kibble Recommendations at Petco

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Hi, can I get a recommendation for a quality dogfood that I could find sold at Petco? My bulldog is 7, and has had some repeated bouts of colitis and acid reflux lately, last few months. Her most current food I switched her to is a sensitive stomach chicken kibble, but she isn't doing well on that either. The vet is now recommending the z/d prescription. I'm not so sure on this either.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Try an Acana single protein; we had good luck with pork and squash

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Zingnature, Acana, Orijen, Earthborn holistic, Natureā€™s Variety.... go with Duck or Kangaroo or venison.... less alllergens

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Natureā€™s Variety is a decent brand and Petco might have them now. If not, Iā€™m pretty sure that Petsmart does. And they have a few different formulas as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Thank you all for these recommendations! I am going to try and get her on another food here and hope for the best!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
You can also order online from Chewy. Free shipping over $49. Much more choice than Petco and I paid the same on Chewy as I did at a pet store, plus it was delivered to my door in two days.

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
I haven't tried Chewy yet but perhaps should give it a chance and may have more selection. I saw mixed reviews on Amazon prices for dog foods. I was thinking, well if she doesn't like this I could return it to Petco easily, as it's just two miles away. I looked to see what's in stock near me and it has a few Acana varieties, some Nature's Variety Instincts, and a few Orijen. I didn't see any Earthborn or Zignature.

I think I want to try a very limited ingredient food, and maybe can figure out what is right for her and what's bothering her. Once again she's turned down dinner and breakfast dog food happening often in between bouts of stomach issues, and I had to give her some pieces of cooked chicken which she took.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I haven't tried Chewy yet but perhaps should give it a chance and may have more selection. I saw mixed reviews on Amazon prices for dog foods. I was thinking, well if she doesn't like this I could return it to Petco easily, as it's just two miles away. I looked to see what's in stock near me and it has a few Acana varieties, some Nature's Variety Instincts, and a few Orijen. I didn't see any Earthborn or Zignature.

I think I want to try a very limited ingredient food, and maybe can figure out what is right for her and what's bothering her. Once again she's turned down dinner and breakfast dog food happening often in between bouts of stomach issues, and I had to give her some pieces of cooked chicken which she took.

Chewy letā€™s you return, but most times they just tell,you to donate to rescue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Chewy letā€™s you return, but most times they just tell,you to donate to rescue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
[MENTION=10047]Maizy[/MENTION] Just wanted to add. we give our Oliver" Herbsmith Microflora plus" it is a probiotic and digestive enzymes. you can get it on Amazon. this helped him with his sensitive stomach issues immensely. more than the food. its is really good for them, if you want to check it out> Oliver went for a few months puking up almost anything we tried. Once we gave him these, we were able to get him on a good diet. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

What makes you think she has stomach issues as I havenā€™t followed for a while. Is she on meds or throws up or something....

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], thanks I may try this. She's really hard to get to take pill form things, it used to be I could hide it in things like peanut butter etc. but she's wisened up to these after being on various meds.

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
What makes you think she has stomach issues as I havenā€™t followed for a while. Is she on meds or throws up or something....
I say stomach, but it could be another area in digestion. She's been having repeat bouts of colitis. This last bout still around even after latest antibiotic round. That's what she's been diagnosed with each time I've taken her in. She'll clear up, then seem fine for some time, then gets sick again. We are probably looking at more testing, she just doesn't seem to be rebounding and staying that way. Stool not staying formed, sometimes throws up, turns away at her food. Also gassy, digestive system makes a lot of rumbling sounds and she seems uncomfortable.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I say stomach, but it could be another area in digestion. She's been having repeat bouts of colitis. This last bout still around even after latest antibiotic round. That's what she's been diagnosed with each time I've taken her in. She'll clear up, then seem fine for some time, then gets sick again. We are probably looking at more testing, she just doesn't seem to be rebounding and staying that way. Stool not staying formed, sometimes throws up, turns away at her food. Also gassy, digestive system makes a lot of rumbling sounds and she seems uncomfortable.

ā€œIFā€ she has been diagnosed by a vet for bouts of colitis which basically is inflammation in the large intestine, you need to get to the inflammation issue. Itā€™s not by changing just the food the issue unless you go completely raw. You need to add an anti inflammatory product to her daily diet. I would go with organic turmeric with a pinch of black pepper. Absolutely needs to be organic n never forget the black pepper as it releases the full potent of the turmeric. Without the black pepper itā€™s useless. Also start using fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. Thatā€™s the ones in the refrigerated section n not on the shelf. You need these two examples as they are more powerful than yogurt. Plus the more she takes antibiotics the more sheā€™s killing her good cells. Why she needs probiotics n an anti inflammatory added to her diet especially while on antibiotics. Antibiotics also kills the good cells why you need to balance her gut. You want to solve all this, get her on a raw diet. Raw has itā€™s own natural probiotic especially the green smelly tripe. Freezer section in your pet shop. If you donā€™t want to go raw, stick to Acana. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], thanks I may try this. She's really hard to get to take pill form things, it used to be I could hide it in things like peanut butter etc. but she's wisened up to these after being on various meds.

We used watermelon or vanilla ice cream to hide pills. A real winner now is liver wurst

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.