Help Needed! Nutrition

CharlieDavydov

Dec 11, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Hello everyone. I have a 4 month English bulldog that weighed about 15 pounds 2 weeks ago. After being admitted to the icu he lost a little weight. You can see it in his waist. My guess, heā€™s like 12-13 pounds now. Iā€™ve been feeding him what the icu was feeding him(hills canned wet food) and Iā€™ve been incorporating his dry food in there too, mixing everything with water. The problem is he was in the icu because he ate too fast and choked on his hard food (which is was only eating before) and ended up getting fluid in his lungs due to vomiting and ingesting. He doesnā€™t seem to be putting on weight and Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s because itā€™s like a diet vet recommended food. But I do give him a big amount of it. Oh I also feed him 3 times a day every 6 hours. He just seems to be always hungry and I donā€™t want him to inhale his food. I have a slow feeder but he just knocks it over and gets frustrated. I kind of want to keep him on the wet+dry diet. Is there any suggestions on what to feed him? I think his dry food is blue buffalo; should I get the equivalent of that for his wet food??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone. I have a 4 month English bulldog that weighed about 15 pounds 2 weeks ago. After being admitted to the icu he lost a little weight. You can see it in his waist. My guess, heā€™s like 12-13 pounds now. Iā€™ve been feeding him what the icu was feeding him(hills canned wet food) and Iā€™ve been incorporating his dry food in there too, mixing everything with water. The problem is he was in the icu because he ate too fast and choked on his hard food (which is was only eating before) and ended up getting fluid in his lungs due to vomiting and ingesting. He doesnā€™t seem to be putting on weight and Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s because itā€™s like a diet vet recommended food. But I do give him a big amount of it. Oh I also feed him 3 times a day every 6 hours. He just seems to be always hungry and I donā€™t want him to inhale his food. I have a slow feeder but he just knocks it over and gets frustrated. I kind of want to keep him on the wet+dry diet. Is there any suggestions on what to feed him? I think his dry food is blue buffalo; should I get the equivalent of that for his wet food?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok....I donā€™t know if youā€™re aware of this but most of Science Hill can wet food was taken OFF the shelves by the company itself (about time) as high dose of vitamin D. Dogs got sick n a lot died. Stop anything thatā€™s Science Hill. Use your slow feeder but get on your knees n hold it down. You need to train you pup to slow down. Nudge him with your arm while holding down the bowl with a firm NO. Eventually heā€™ll get it... Youā€™re the boss. If itā€™s a kibble you want to go with, get a high quality one like Acana single protein bags. Absolutely no need to feed him that often. Heā€™s hungry cause heā€™s not getting enough protein. Acana has the highest protein intake. Or.... you can go with Orijen for a couple months as itā€™s high in calories n great quality. No need to feed a puppy food. 3cups a day is fine, top with cut up RAW liver, heart from your grocery store. Use it as a topper. Freeze up the cup up pieces so you alway have something to top the kibbles. Treats, use frozen green beans, berries, carrots, anything thatā€™s real food.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... lose the Hills, it is not a good food. if you want to stay with kibble and need him to slow down, place the food on a flat cookie/baking tray he will need to basically eat a few pieces at a time and will not gulp it all at once.
Helene gave great options for food... Acana, Orijenā€¦. a few others would be Zingnature, Fromm, Earthborn Holisitc.

Hope your baby is doing well!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.