New Owner

bsallen338

Nov 8, 2019
North Carolina
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Okay guys, I have never owned an English Bulldog before. My dad has one and Iā€™ve always dreamed of having one. I have done research and came to the conclusion that royal canin is not good for my pup. He is 3 months old and I have been feeding him 3 cups of this a day... I need suggestions on what food is best!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Zignature is what we feed. But there are other VG kibbles...Acana, Orijen, Fromm always come to mind.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Assuming he continues to not have any allergies ( they usually don't start until about 4 months ) then Fromm Heartland Gold Grain Free Puppy is a great one to start with.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with what [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12725]Dollysowner[/MENTION] have stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I agree with the advice you have been given here! My first bulldog came home on Eukanuba ( 7 years ago) and although I tried many different brands over 2 long years, ( he had so many digestive issues) I really feel it was because he got off on the wrong foot. So, our new pup is now on Fromm's Puppy Gold and thriving! Luckily, the breeder ditched the Eukanuba and starts all her pups on Fromm's. Great food. I will keep him on grain free because of all the allergies bullies tend to get from certain grains. I will also start switching proteins at about 6 months old so he gets variety. He is 3 1/2 months old and at his small noon meal, I give him Fromms Pork and Applesauce which is adult food, but slowly will transition him to adult about 6 months. ( puppy kibble is given breakfast and dinner). He LOVES it!! I add some pumpkin and Greek yogurt to his food for moisture.

OP
B

bsallen338

Nov 8, 2019
North Carolina
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Thank you guys so much! Just ordered fromm puppy gold, hoping this will work! ��

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
I took Ralph of Canin, chicken didn't agree with him, he now has Lily's kitchen and James Wellbeloved.

LolaLouise

Feb 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Louise
Zignature is what we feed. But there are other VG kibbles...Acana, Orijen, Fromm always come to mind.

Do you alternate Zignature flavors ?
If so how often ?
I have alternated after 2-3 months on a particular flavor, so far she has liked each of the Duck, Kangaroo, and Salmon.
Thinking of the pork or turkey next, have you tried either ?
Do you add anything to it ? like sardines to add taurine ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If so how often ?
I have alternated after 2-3 months on a particular flavor, so far she has liked each of the Duck, Kangaroo, and Salmon.

Yes alternate since heā€™s a pup as heā€™ll get use to all meat proteins.....and yes add sardines. You know exactly what to do. Good job!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If so how often ?

When I fed Zignature I always switched flavors after each bag. Yes to the sardines, once a week will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Do you alternate Zignature flavors ? No...the dogs we own are all older and tolerate the Duck formula very well.
If so how often ? N/A
I have alternated after 2-3 months on a particular flavor, so far she has liked each of the Duck, Kangaroo, and Salmon. Nothing wrong with this method. Just watch for allergic reaction after switching foods. You'll know it when you see it. Usually starts with rubbing face on furniture or carpet, tear stains, redness around the eye, skin and fur abnormalities.
Thinking of the pork or turkey next, have you tried either ? Not yet
Do you add anything to it ? like sardines to add taurine ? Sardines on occasion and when skin looks a little dry, Coconut Oil.

LolaLouise

Feb 13, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Louise
Nothing wrong with this method. Just watch for allergic reaction after switching foods. You'll know it when you see it. Usually starts with rubbing face on furniture or carpet, tear stains, redness around the eye, skin and fur abnormalities.

Thank you all for the responses, The only weird thing she does at times is she will lick the couch, automin, and or the sides of her bed ??
She is now a year and 5 months and my wife and I have become attached to her more than any of our dogs we have ever had, she seems to always want to be with me or know exactly where I am at all times, My wife insists that I am Lola's emotional support human, lol
lola 3.png

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Nothing wrong with this method. Just watch for allergic reaction after switching foods. You'll know it when you see it. Usually starts with rubbing face on furniture or carpet, tear stains, redness around the eye, skin and fur abnormalities.

Thank you all for the responses, The only weird thing she does at times is she will lick the couch, automin, and or the sides of her bed ??
She is now a year and 5 months and my wife and I have become attached to her more than any of our dogs we have ever had, she seems to always want to be with me or know exactly where I am at all times, My wife insists that I am Lola's emotional support human, lol
View attachment 118131

Great photo! They are the most CUDDLE BUGS ever!! Joey did the licky thing when she was a pup too, even now (almost 5) she licks her plush toys sometimes....

Lola is ADORABLE!!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If itā€™s an occasional thing lick the couch as you said, thatā€™s anxiety. My white face Jake does that but the blanket on their bed. His brother Duke did the same with his paws. Duke was tested n absolutely no allergies. I recently started CBD oil for Jake. Eventually it will kick in soon. :) Might be a thought for yours.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 118131

They are true Velcro dogs... love this photo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online