Puppy feeding questions!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I can't believe how much I have forgotten about puppies!!:blush2: Breeder told me to feed Jackson 1 to 1-1/2 cups PER meal- 3 meals a day. First night, I put in 11/2 cups and he barely ate half. Next morning, tried 1 cup and he ate only barely 3/4 of it. Lunch seems to be the time he eats the least- maybe a shy 3/4 cup. I have him on 7am, 1pm, 7pm. Should I judge the amount based on if he cleans his plate? He seems to eat the least at 1, at what age do they go to 2 meals? He is small- he was the runt,I would say he is about 7-8 lbs.
Lastly, had a hard time finding Fromms around here, so I ordered it from Petflow. Breeder just gave me a baggie with "Fromms Puppy Gold" written on it so that is what I ordered. Realized today I will run out before my order comes and drove 45 minutes to the nearest pet store that carried it. Got it home, and realize the kibble is smaller than what she gave me! She must use the puppy gold Large breed kibble. Can I get away with using the bag I bought and the 33 lbs coming tomorrow from PetFlow? I will be surprised if he will be more than 50 lbs full grown. TIA!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Doesn't that sound like gigantic portions? I checked Fromms Puppy Gold kibble and their feeding guides stipulate much smaller portions: https://frommfamily.com/products/dog/gold/dry/puppy-gold/daily-feeding-recommendations/

Castor (who is 6,5 years old, lbs 44) eats another brand but he gets 4 deciliters per day which equals something like 1.75 cups (ie half of that per feeding).

I agree. I think its overload. Trying just under a cup 7/7, just over 1/2 cup at 1.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I agree. I think its overload. Trying just under a cup 7/7, just over 1/2 cup at 1.

Try to buy smaller bags as this will last way too long n wonā€™t be that fresh midway. Dogs gets bored on tasteless kibbles. Iā€™m more for acana kibbles if thatā€™s your route. Also like we always suggest in here, stick to one protein per bag. Yours is a pup. Best time to monitor allergies IF any. Rotate your bags on monthly basis. The body will get use to different protein and youā€™ll avoid so many issues down the road. If you feed them the same old for months on, the body goes into a defense mode. Like...Oh whatā€™s this??? And thatā€™s how allergies starts. Rotate proteins. Great for any dogs. Mine will eat anything and absolutely no allergies. Also give some frozen berries as a snack or frozen veggies. A can of sardines a week...wait yours will be 1/2 still a baby....

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you!! I cut back on his food and his stools have firmed up too!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.