Spice Makers add lead to turmeric

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
SOBs... I only buy organic. —- let’s hope you are right and they aren’t doing it there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG... I just started looking into this!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I just bought a big batch of organic turmeric from the co-op. I tried for the first time this week Golden Milk and was planning on making a batch of turmeric paste to try with Jax. I would hope and assume that organic turmeric has no lead. Although, non-organic shouldn't have any either. There is always something bad getting added to stuff these days.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Organic still can have lead. It’s important to know where anything comes from. If there’s a place in America or even certain countries in Europe that grows turmeric, you have a better chance it’s cleaner than 3rd world countries. Sadly but that’s how it is. That being said, I would also check where you buy ginger. I’ve seen newsletters coming my way on ginger. A good habit is “read” before buying a product. If a company show a lot of info like where the spice comes from, how it’s grown, how it's shipped etc etc, it will give you a better insight on the product. I’m not a big fan of any Indian food. Not my cup of tea so you’ll never see me in them restaurants. Also first thing we learn in inspection courses, is to “stay away” from anything that’s buffet, Chinese restaurants, shady restaurant joint and never buy anything in bulk bins like spices, candies, flours etc etc.... turmeric is not a spice we absolutely need. Yes helps inflammation with the pinch of black pepper but there are other spices that can do the same job. That’s why I say “every other day” often. We do not need to over supplement our body nor our pets if they eat healthy. Most sick dogs often we don’t know where they came from. Rescues, backyard breeders or found outside... Very rare a well reputable breeder’s dogs will end up sick. Aside from normal health issues. So basically, yes, it’s up to us to ask a lot of questions and up to us to post like in here to warn others.. I do as much as I can and I can be a pain in the Royal A*s with all my posts. Just like my recent post on Zantac n High blood pressure pills. Companies buying from China n India to save money n our health pays the price. It’s becoming a luxury n expensive to be healthy nowadays. :(

Here’s some brands n info on what to avoid...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5415259/

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-you-get-lead-poisoning-from-spices

https://www.naturalstacks.com/blogs/news/is-your-turmeric-contaminated-with-lead

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Organic still can have lead. It’s important to know where anything comes from. If there’s a place in America or even certain countries in Europe that grows turmeric, you have a better chance it’s cleaner than 3rd world countries. Sadly but that’s how it is. That being said, I would also check where you buy ginger. I’ve seen newsletters coming my way on ginger. A good habit is “read” before buying a product. If a company show a lot of info like where the spice comes from, how it’s grown, how it's shipped etc etc, it will give you a better insight on the product. I’m not a big fan of any Indian food. Not my cup of tea so you’ll never see me in them restaurants. Also first thing we learn in inspection courses, is to “stay away” from anything that’s buffet, Chinese restaurants, shady restaurant joint and never buy anything in bulk bins like spices, candies, flours etc etc.... turmeric is not a spice we absolutely need. Yes helps inflammation with the pinch of black pepper but there are other spices that can do the same job. That’s why I say “every other day” often. We do not need to over supplement our body nor our pets if they eat healthy. Most sick dogs often we don’t know where they came from. Rescues, backyard breeders or found outside... Very rare a well reputable breeder’s dogs will end up sick. Aside from normal health issues. So basically, yes, it’s up to us to ask a lot of questions and up to us to post like in here to warn others.. I do as much as I can and I can be a pain in the Royal A*s with all my posts. Just like my recent post on Zantac n High blood pressure pills. Companies buying from China n India to save money n our health pays the price. It’s becoming a luxury n expensive to be healthy nowadays. :(

Here’s some brands n info on what to avoid...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5415259/

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/can-you-get-lead-poisoning-from-spices

https://www.naturalstacks.com/blogs/news/is-your-turmeric-contaminated-with-lead

Agreed! The turmeric I get is from California

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is good to know. I don't know what kind of people come with these sick ideas... :idea2: Hey, let's put lead in to this spice!" I tried to grow my own, but no crop at least this year. Let's see if the two plants survive winter ...

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This is good to know. I don't know what kind of people come with these sick ideas... :idea2: Hey, let's put lead in to this spice!" I tried to grow my own, but no crop at least this year. Let's see if the two plants survive winter ...

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

They add lead basically for colour n weight. All about money. :(. Let me know if your turmeric survived as we have the same weather. Would love to try that one. :)

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Any spice can be contaminated, so I think this Stanford study should not discourage us from buying and using spices, but make us more aware of what we are buying. As you say [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] stick with a brand that you trust, organic if possible, and especially avoid bulk bins with spices of unknown pedigree. I'm going to still give my dog turmeric every day, as I believe it's a very healthy spice since it's a strong anti-oxidant. The main problem with turmeric is that it's poorly absorbed without giving it with pepper and fat at the same time. I'd avoid giving it to a dog with oxalate kidney stones since turmeric has relatively high concentrations of oxalate although there aren't any reports of kidney problems that I've heard of.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.