Who would believe it?!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Well! Wanted share Dudleys latest food update, anyone who has seen previous posts in the past will know that we have been struggling with Dudleys diet since we were forced to take him off his dry kibble due to his kidneys stones.

His operation was in January (during his CCL operation recovery time :( ) and ever since then has had problems with loose stools and continual weight loss from 32kg down to 26.5 which was way to light for his frame and made him look undernourished and ill!

We had tried ALL top premium food brands (hes only ever had premium foods) and it always seemed like one would be ok for a couple of weeks and then back to not agreeing with him :(

So after trying them all my wife was talking to some other Bully owners who foster Bullyā€™s for a local rescue charity and they had had similar issues with there foster dogs and they suggested......
(You should probably be sat down before reading the next line:D ) ā€œChappie!ā€

He has now been on ā€œChappieā€ for two months and has had no bad effect on him, his poops are the best they have been and very consistent and he has gained weight back to 28kg :) and he absolutely loves it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Is this dry or wet food?

Check the % of ash as ash n kidney issues donā€™t work well together.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Its wet food he has his urine checked monthly now and has so far had good results the main thing being no crystal formation and more dilute urine but obviously we will be keeping a close eye on this!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Never heard of Chappie. Is raw food an option?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Happy to hear he is doing better.... fingers crossed it continues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Its wet food he has his urine checked monthly now and has so far had good results the main thing being no crystal formation and more dilute urine but obviously we will be keeping a close eye on this!

I can't remember if you previously posted, what kind of crystals did he have?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
What ever works for him! Hope it continues.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If it works, go for it!

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Never heard of Chappie. Is raw food an option?

Not really, we dont have a freezer and the amount he eats would half fill our fridge, we did decide if this doesnā€™t work we may have to buy a freezer and give it a go.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Is this dry or wet food?

Check the % of ash as ash n kidney issues donā€™t work well together.

As far as i can see there is no ash, thanks for the info.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone hopefully he will keep doing well but as you all know nothing is ever straight forward with a bully :D

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He had cystine stones.

Is he neutered? Louie was tested as a puppy for cystinuria and I knew he had it when I got him but I had him neutered just before 1 years old to avoid the problem of developing stones.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Is he neutered? Louie was tested as a puppy for cystinuria and I knew he had it when I got him but I had him neutered just before 1 years old to avoid the problem of developing stones.

No he isnā€™t, it has been mentioned by the vet that it would help but we have decided at the moment to try to manage it hopefully with diet and close monitoring.

After he went through the CCL op and the Kidney stone op all within four months plus all the recovery time he had we couldnā€™t face putting him through another op and another anaesthetic! If we can manage another way.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
No he isnā€™t, it has been mentioned by the vet that it would help but we have decided at the moment to try to manage it hopefully with diet and close monitoring.

After he went through the CCL op and the Kidney stone op all within four months plus all the recovery time he had we couldnā€™t face putting him through another op and another anaesthetic! If we can manage another way.

Definitely be careful as a stone blockage could be deadly!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online