Need some advice on the raw food change...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
SO I have finally decided to switch to raw food, and my local store carries Primal which I thought would be a good start because I can purchase it locally. The idea of mailing raw food in this heat sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, although if anyone wants to chime in about raw food delivery I'm ALL ears...

Anyhoo I've been going slow w/the change, mostly because my Walter is SUCH a mess... he is LOVING it, very excited for his dinner time raw. Willow however hates it... I've been buying the kibbles, and I let it sit on the counter for a bit to thaw. Has anyone had this experience before?!! I can't believe she's a dog sometimes, she is SUCH a diva!!!

Also is there an issue feeding kibble and raw?!! I'm still giving Walter the kibble in the morning right now, I thought maybe this was a bad idea...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
A lot do kibble one meal and raw the second... not an issue just donā€™t feed together (mix)

Try giving Willow pieces as a treat... she may not like the coldness of it... can you mash it up for her?

I do frozen mail order, but they are local, sort of... about 2 hrs away. Search for a small local special pet shop, they may have some suggestions for local raw company

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™m with you for ordering online. I see too much recalls cause of shipping products that the freezer or fridge fans in a truck malfunction or the truck broke down........ Raw is raw you absolutely need to handle it differently. But heh, thatā€™s me.
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] still feeds kibbles in the morning n raw at nights. I did too but gradually turned to 100%.

For miss diva, Nyala has also turned into one. She still snub on her morning meals. Iā€™m done arguing with her n like kids, you donā€™t want it, wait for supper. Come supper sheā€™ll eat it. She knows when lunch snack hr is, trust me she follows n checks what Iā€™m doing. I will give her fish but sheā€™ll get only 2ā€ of it. Jake gets the rest. She started that when Duke passed away as I pampered her more cause she refused to eat for a few days. My fault as these dogs donā€™t forget. Anyway she needs to lose a good 5lbs. We donā€™t go as far as we us to with Jake. Heā€™s getting there...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
SO I have finally decided to switch to raw food, and my local store carries Primal which I thought would be a good start because I can purchase it locally. The idea of mailing raw food in this heat sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, although if anyone wants to chime in about raw food delivery I'm ALL ears...

Anyhoo I've been going slow w/the change, mostly because my Walter is SUCH a mess... he is LOVING it, very excited for his dinner time raw. Willow however hates it... I've been buying the kibbles, and I let it sit on the counter for a bit to thaw. Has anyone had this experience before?!! I can't believe she's a dog sometimes, she is SUCH a diva!!!

Also is there an issue feeding kibble and raw?!! I'm still giving Walter the kibble in the morning right now, I thought maybe this was a bad idea...

Is Walter on anything immunosupressive like apoquel,cytopoint,prednisone? If not, he would probably benefit more from a non processed frozen raw meal for both meals of the day, not Primal since it is HPP sterilized. I've been getting frozen raw from 2 different suppliers delivered to my home in refrigerated vans and never had a problem. It's always better not to leave raw at room temperature, so I take out the pieces I've cut into the proper size previously, from freezer, and put into refrigerator in a glass Tupperware container 24 hr before serving. Then at time of serving I microwave some filtered water to add to the frozen raw to warm it up a bit.

If Willow doesn't have any allergies you can just leave her on the kibble, but otherwise I'd switch her to a dehydrated raw.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Is Walter on anything immunosupressive like apoquel,cytopoint,prednisone? If not, he would probably benefit more from a non processed frozen raw meal for both meals of the day, not Primal since it is HPP sterilized. I've been getting frozen raw from 2 different suppliers delivered to my home in refrigerated vans and never had a problem. It's always better not to leave raw at room temperature, so I take out the pieces I've cut into the proper size previously, from freezer, and put into refrigerator in a glass Tupperware container 24 hr before serving. Then at time of serving I microwave some filtered water to add to the frozen raw to warm it up a bit.

If Willow doesn't have any allergies you can just leave her on the kibble, but otherwise I'd switch her to a dehydrated raw.

Walter gets Cytopoint injections... do you order your food locally? I haven't really looked into that yet, but I can... Great idea about heating up the water, Walter has been eating it cold... he doesn't seem to mind.

Willow is fine... she doesn't have any allergies, nothing!!! Her fur looks amazing... it's hard to believe she's a bulldog!!! Lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Walter gets Cytopoint injections... do you order your food locally? I haven't really looked into that yet, but I can... Great idea about heating up the water, Walter has been eating it cold... he doesn't seem to mind.

Willow is fine... she doesn't have any allergies, nothing!!! Her fur looks amazing... it's hard to believe she's a bulldog!!! Lol

I think it'd be safe to give any kind of frozen raw dog food for Walther since Cytopoint is very specific for neutralizing IL-31 receptors. The only possibility of immune suppression I've read about is in the skin itself, since IL-31 may play a protective role there, but even then it's probably less likely than if the dog was scratching their skin when not on Cytopoint https://www.2ndchance.info/Cytopoint.htm.

I get my frozen dog food from 2 local suppliers that are in rural communities about an hour away from Toronto, and they both deliver to different geographic areas in these freezer trucks on different days of the week.

I first mix in organic turmeric, salmon oil, sea kelp, Actiflex-4000 with the cold ( no longer frozen ) raw dog food that I've put into the dog food bowl. Then I put in the microwaved water and mix it all together with a plastic knife I keep separate. My dog wolfs it down in about two minutes, then spends about 2 more minutes licking the bowl, then another few minutes licking the floor around the bowl. Then she spends most of the day waiting in front of the fridge for more food LOL

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it'd be safe to give any kind of frozen raw dog food for Walther since Cytopoint is very specific for neutralizing IL-31 receptors. The only possibility of immune suppression I've read about is in the skin itself, since IL-31 may play a protective role there, but even then it's probably less likely than if the dog was scratching their skin when not on Cytopoint https://www.2ndchance.info/Cytopoint.htm.

I get my frozen dog food from 2 local suppliers that are in rural communities about an hour away from Toronto, and they both deliver to different geographic areas in these freezer trucks on different days of the week.

I first mix in organic turmeric, salmon oil, sea kelp, Actiflex-4000 with the cold ( no longer frozen ) raw dog food that I've put into the dog food bowl. Then I put in the microwaved water and mix it all together with a plastic knife I keep separate. My dog wolfs it down in about two minutes, then spends about 2 more minutes licking the bowl, then another few minutes licking the floor around the bowl. Then she spends most of the day waiting in front of the fridge for more food LOL

Where do you get your organic turmeric? I can't give Walter the fish oil unfortunately, but I do give him coconut oil occasionally.

Do you think I should stop giving him his Herbsmith Microflora Plus? I also give that to Willow too...

What is the Actiflex-4000?

Sorry for all the questions... but Thank YOU so much for all your detailed information!!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Where do you get your organic turmeric? I can't give Walter the fish oil unfortunately, but I do give him coconut oil occasionally.

Do you think I should stop giving him his Herbsmith Microflora Plus? I also give that to Willow too...

What is the Actiflex-4000?

Sorry for all the questions... but Thank YOU so much for all your detailed information!!!

Organic turmeric from amazon - start with 1/2 tsp twice daily and work up to 1.5 tsp twice daily ( mixed with freshly ground pepper and coconut oil )
eg. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Turmeric-Curcumin-Antioxidants-Anti-Inflammatory/dp/B07WDLK7D7/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=organic+turmeric+powder&qid=1569015190&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Actiflex-4000 for joint inflammation
Dosage:
25-50 pounds

1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
Ā½ tsp. daily maintenance dose

50-75 pounds:

1 Ā½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
Ā¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose
https://www.bigdweb.com/product/cox+vet+labs+acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Organic turmeric from amazon - start with 1/2 tsp twice daily and work up to 1.5 tsp twice daily ( mixed with freshly ground pepper and coconut oil )
eg. https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Turm...rmeric+powder&qid=1569015190&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Actiflex-4000 for joint inflammation
Dosage:
25-50 pounds

1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
Ā½ tsp. daily maintenance dose

50-75 pounds:

1 Ā½ tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days
Ā¾ tsp. daily maintenance dose
https://www.bigdweb.com/product/cox+vet+labs+acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do

Thank YOU so much for the info... I was just reading how I should also be taking Turmeric, do you use this for yourself? I can't see adding it to my coffee... Lol

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thank YOU so much for the info... I was just reading how I should also be taking Turmeric, do you use this for yourself? I can't see adding it to my coffee... Lol

I buy turmeric capsules for myself since I have arthritis, either at my local Costco or from Amazon.ca, or if I order from USA and get someone to bring in, then from Amazon.com or Vitacost.com. I'm also thinking of adding on some eggshell membrane capsules for myself. That's like the Movoflex that [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] gives her dog.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Just the thought of turmeric in coffee lol

I personally would give half of the turmeric cause if they go on full raw you donā€™t need all sorts. Theses are dogs. They donā€™t eat turmeric in the wild on daily basis. But because we domesticated them, yes we can give certain supplements. Start slow as raw will be new to them. Every time you add something new, monitor it as you know. Ive stopped all supplements to my dogs. They get everything from their raw meat, fresh wild caught fish, tripe, fermented veggies, marrow bones etc. Unless a dog has a specific issue, then yes, I would start targeting that problem only. People absolutely needs to be careful not to boost their pets with all sorts for that ā€œin caseā€ this happens or that happens. Turmeric is a fantastic herb but at the same time very potent. Example some donā€™t know, if youā€™re taking meds for diabetes, turmeric can lower your sugars even more. That goes for other meds too with specific herbs/spices. Just a thought:)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just the thought of turmeric in coffee lol

I personally would give half of the turmeric cause if they go on full raw you donā€™t need all sorts. Theses are dogs. They donā€™t eat turmeric in the wild on daily basis. But because we domesticated them, yes we can give certain supplements. Start slow as raw will be new to them. Every time you add something new, monitor it as you know. Ive stopped all supplements to my dogs. They get everything from their raw meat, fresh wild caught fish, tripe, fermented veggies, marrow bones etc. Unless a dog has a specific issue, then yes, I would start targeting that problem only. People absolutely needs to be careful not to boost their pets with all sorts for that ā€œin caseā€ this happens or that happens. Turmeric is a fantastic herb but at the same time very potent. Example some donā€™t know, if youā€™re taking meds for diabetes, turmeric can lower your sugars even more. That goes for other meds too with specific herbs/spices. Just a thought:)

Oh no... I agree w/you, I have to be very careful w/Wally anyway. He seems very sensitive to everything!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am just back from vacation so missed this thread. Louie gets kibble in the am and raw in the pm. The main reason for this is because he eats so much that I just don't have freezer space to feed him two meals of raw right now. I have a chest freezer in the garage but it's always full with their food. Eventually I will get a bigger freezer. I normally make up 2 weeks' worth of meals at a time for the guys. Primal is a good brand. I joined a local raw food co-op so have been getting my food from there. They have the commercial brands plus local food as well.

I sometimes order frozen bison bricks from a place in Colorado. I have never had an issue with delivery except ONE time. It was a couple years back and in the middle of a heatwave. The packages were somewhat thawed by the time I got them and I questioned it but still fed anyways and Jax did get sick. Some people will say dogs can eat rancid meat and be fine but it took like 2 weeks for me to realize the bison was what was making Jax sick. It only happened that one time.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am just back from vacation so missed this thread. Louie gets kibble in the am and raw in the pm. The main reason for this is because he eats so much that I just don't have freezer space to feed him two meals of raw right now. I have a chest freezer in the garage but it's always full with their food. Eventually I will get a bigger freezer. I normally make up 2 weeks' worth of meals at a time for the guys. Primal is a good brand. I joined a local raw food co-op so have been getting my food from there. They have the commercial brands plus local food as well.

I sometimes order frozen bison bricks from a place in Colorado. I have never had an issue with delivery except ONE time. It was a couple years back and in the middle of a heatwave. The packages were somewhat thawed by the time I got them and I questioned it but still fed anyways and Jax did get sick. Some people will say dogs can eat rancid meat and be fine but it took like 2 weeks for me to realize the bison was what was making Jax sick. It only happened that one time.

I hope you enjoyed your trip...

Willow refuses to touch the raw, it's hilarious!!! Guess she doesn't realize she's a dog, and her ancestors probably feasted on road-kill :ROFL:
Wally LOVES his raw, I'm just giving him the Primal beef nuggets at dinner time, what other proteins have you tried? I know he's allergic to chicken, so that's definitely out. I may look into having food delivered and getting another freezer... LORD Ray is gonna kills me... Lol

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wally is STILL enjoying his Primal beef nuggets at dinnertime... I'm going slow.

So far it's been fine, but I've noticed the last few days he has spit up later in the night. It wasn't food, looked more like phlegm... is that normal?!! I should note that it's still been hot here, and my sprinkler system is on the fritz so my grass looks like dead hay!!! UGH!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.