How much should I feed Duff?

montag

Feb 24, 2018
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duff
Duff is 1.5 years old and weights about 70 lbs. He is in great shape, active, loves to run and play soccer. We feed him Fromm Salmon À La Veg Recipe and follow their guideline (60 - 80 lbs - 3 to 3 2/3 cups daily). I'm constantly see reports of EB's that are 50-60 lbs and rarely hear about 70+ pounders. We're going to the vet soon and will get his professional opinion but just curious what you all felt about serving size and overall weight. Is my pig too fat? :D

IMG_20190806_073025.jpgIMG_20190728_155103.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Does he have an hourglass figure when you look at him from above? Can you feel but not see his ribs?

Louie is about 2 1/2 years and gets 2 cups of kibble in the morning and 9.6 ounces of raw in the evening and weighs 62 pounds. Each dog is different with the the way they are built and their activity level.

OP
M

montag

Feb 24, 2018
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duff
Yes, he has what could be described as an hour glass figure when standing and looking at him from top down. And ribs can be felt if pressing quite hard when rubbing his sides.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty is 9 years old and very lazy. I feed him 3/4 cup Zignature twice a day with frozen green beans as a topper plus he gets small treats whenever he has been a good boy outside. He usually weighs 67 lbs + - a lb. He weighed 72 lbs at age 4 when we first got him and was too chunky. Now he has a good figure, nice slim waist. If I fed him the recommended amount he would be like a balloon but again, he is a very low energy dog and has been the 5 years we have had him.

You have a handsome boy, by the way!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yes, he has what could be described as an hour glass figure when standing and looking at him from top down. And ribs can be felt if pressing quite hard when rubbing his sides.

2cups a day plus lunch snack n a couple healthy treats.

If he’s like you’re describing, then he’s in great shape. Dont break your head.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Try 1-1/3 - 1-1/2 cups twice daily and monitor his weight. Any snacks should come out of his daily ration. If you start seeing ribs or if the point where the ribs stop disappears...adjust as necessary.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Try 1-1/3 - 1-1/2 cups twice daily and monitor his weight. Any snacks should come out of his daily ration. If you start seeing ribs or if the point where the ribs stop disappears...adjust as necessary.

Duff is 1.5 years old and weights about 70 lbs. He is in great shape, active, loves to run and play soccer. We feed him Fromm Salmon À La Veg Recipe and follow their guideline (60 - 80 lbs- 3 to 3 2/3 cups daily). I'm constantly see reports of EB's that are 50-60 lbs and rarely hear about 70+ pounders. We're going to the vet soon and will get his professional opinion but just curious what you all felt about serving size and overall weight. Is my pig too fat? :D

View attachment 117272View attachment 117273

I agree... cut back the bags are always high in portions... and what a great looking boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Out two are weird. Both 5 years old brothers. I have never measured food. We have always kept their food bowls full. They eat some around lunch and some at supper. Emmitt weighs 47 and Rogan 71. According to the vet she says they look good. Rogan can only eat the dry food. Emmitt gets dry plus. I have been giving Emmitt ham and cheese samwich with the dry food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Out two are weird. Both 5 years old brothers. I have never measured food. We have always kept their food bowls full. They eat some around lunch and some at supper. Emmitt weighs 47 and Rogan 71. According to the vet she says they look good. Rogan can only eat the dry food. Emmitt gets dry plus. I have been giving Emmitt ham and cheese samwich with the dry food.

Ham n cheese sandwich like for humans?

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Yes like human. Popcorn, New York Steaks, Fish, Biscuits And Pizza Crust.

Capt Swirley

Jun 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tango
When I got my 13 month, 60 lb. boy from the breeder, she provided me a bag of Victor High Pro Plus kibble food and said I should only give him 1 cup / once per day. Reading the Victor feeding guide, they recommend 3 1/3 cups / day. At the breeder, his activity was more limited, he had a kennel with a 30 foot run. Now that he is with us, his new "sister", a Labradoodle (looks more like a Standard Poodle) keeps him hopping in the backyard; at 7 months she is kind a hyperactive nuisance. I have to constantly call her off to give him a break to come back inside with the A/C and cool tile floors.
He still gets the Victor kibble, but a reduced portion, and now mixed with a cooked chicken tenderloin or thigh, and/or an egg, or an occasional liver; and is fed twice/day, both morning and night. He is a little chunky now (65 lbs), but it has been a hot humid summer, and he & I just started taking our walks again about two nights ago. Neither one of us likes the heat much.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When I got my 13 month, 60 lb. boy from the breeder, she provided me a bag of Victor High Pro Plus kibble food and said I should only give him 1 cup / once per day. Reading the Victor feeding guide, they recommend 3 1/3 cups / day. At the breeder, his activity was more limited, he had a kennel with a 30 foot run. Now that he is with us, his new "sister", a Labradoodle (looks more like a Standard Poodle) keeps him hopping in the backyard; at 7 months she is kind a hyperactive nuisance. I have to constantly call her off to give him a break to come back inside with the A/C and cool tile floors.
He still gets the Victor kibble, but a reduced portion, and now mixed with a cooked chicken tenderloin or thigh, and/or an egg, or an occasional liver; and is fed twice/day, both morning and night. He is a little chunky now (65 lbs), but it has been a hot humid summer, and he & I just started taking our walks again about two nights ago. Neither one of us likes the heat much.

You can reduce the food intake if there’s not much exercise. Won’t harm them :)

Enjoy your hyperactive nuisance one, as my little Duke was only 2.5 yrs old when he passed away and he was the energizer bunny. I would take the gray hair n keeping me on my toes he gave me on daily basis in a heartbeat. :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.