TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Hey guys and gals hope all is well. Ms. Millie will be 1 year old next month. She seems to be a very sporadic eater. Sometimes she doesn’t and sometimes she does. I feed her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. It’s not uncommon for her to not eat at all occasionally for a day. It’s almost like she goes through phases where she’s not interested in eating at all and bored with her food. So I guess I have two questions. First of course is this normal behavior and second would it be bad to give her a dab of unflavored yogurt at every meal. We have given her yogurt before with no issues but I don’t know if it would hurt anything (or be a bad habit) to give it to her all the time. She currently eats Acana Single Duck and Pear. She also gets her Nuvet vitamin every evening. Also, she did this on two previous recipes of Fromm as well so I’m leaning towards it not being the food but who knows, thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey guys and gals hope all is well. Ms. Millie will be 1 year old next month. She seems to be a very sporadic eater. Sometimes she doesn’t and sometimes she does. I feed her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. It’s not uncommon for her to not eat at all occasionally for a day. It’s almost like she goes through phases where she’s not interested in eating at all and bored with her food. So I guess I have two questions. First of course is this normal behavior and second would it be bad to give her a dab of unflavored yogurt at every meal. We have given her yogurt before with no issues but I don’t know if it would hurt anything (or be a bad habit) to give it to her all the time. She currently eats Acana Single Duck and Pear. She also gets her Nuvet vitamin every evening. Also, she did this on two previous recipes of Fromm as well so I’m leaning towards it not being the food but who knows, thanks!

My brindle Nyala just recently started to raise her nose on her raw. She did that last year with kibbles. I changed every bag of her acana when it was done for another flavour so both get different meals. But sometimes didn’t want it. Last year I put both on 100% raw. They had ultimate turkey. Went well for a few months. Then I switch to beef, that too lasted a few months. Now on beef, bison plus all organs of course and she’s doing again. Only her not my other ones. So you see it’s not your kibble. It’s the dog :) My partner likes giving them a toast in the morning. So that stopped. Then it’s a treat. He doesn’t give her a piece but the whole length of dry liver. Madame likes her human food. So she’s in the dog house and so is the partner. She doesn’t want to eat, so we’ll wait at supper time. Supper time, she still did not want to eat. One day without eating. Odd for her. Giving the benefit of the doubt as you never know, I gave her raw that morning, same thing. I figured I need to make sure she doesn’t have him wrapped around her paw or she’s not well. My partner isn’t home much as he works in the oil patch so he doesn’t see the dogs much n likes to spoil them. Which I understand but still a no no. So i wanted to make sure Nyala wasn’t ill. After a day n half, I decided to put a little piece of cooked bacon hidden underneath her raw. Really tiny piece. She damm inhaled the whole bowl. So there, she’s wasn’t ill just wanted her toast or treats. Her supper is in the fridge. If she doesn’t eat it tomorrow morning, she’ll wait again. I don’t know of any dog that will starve themselves. I sure wouldn’t top anything she likes so she can eat. Eventually, your dog will eat.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with above- also don't get into habit of putting topper on their dog food, because then they will never eat the food without one. Try to find a brand they will like, because some brands taste better than others. eg. my dog did not like Fromm dog food. Try a dehydrated raw one if you don't mind the extra cost. eg. my dog loved Only Natural EasyRaw from Pet Smart which I was always getting on sale.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Willow is the worst about doing that, and I used to worry... but now I just keep putting the food down (maybe smaller amounts so it's not a total waste). Eventually they will eat... Lol

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
You might be overthinking the dog food. From day one we keep dry kibble in their bowls all day and night. One eats three times a day (one cup in the morning, noon and night). The other eats about three cups only at night. But the bowls stay full. Could be that your pup might not be hungry.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Are her portions appropriate? How big is she? Castor is small (lbs 44) and he gets only 2 dl twice a day which equals a total of 1,7 cups per day. Sometimes he skips breakfast but then we still give him only 2 dl in the evening. I've tried to up his portions a bit but then he usually leaves some. He eats kibble too (used to be on Acana single lamb but now on Canagan, country game).

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
My Punk is the same. She will eat some in the morning, maybe some at night, maybe wait until the next day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well Nyala refuses to eat. Back in the fridge. I think I’ll start feeding her once a day...see what happens. Mind you it going to be 2 days tonight...

OP
T

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Thanks for the replies. I figured she was just being a princess but I thought I would ask. This is our first EB and they are quite different than the boxer breed we are used to. The biggest difference as been the laziness and sleeping all the time lol. The boxers never sat still and sometimes it’s hard to get Mille to move.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the replies. I figured she was just being a princess but I thought I would ask. This is our first EB and they are quite different than the boxer breed we are used to. The biggest difference as been the laziness and sleeping all the time lol. The boxers never sat still and sometimes it’s hard to get Mille to move.

My EB are/were so far from lazy. I’ve read so much on EB being lazy n sick all the time that I refused to have them fall into that trend so I started them on the right paw. I walk a lot with them n fed/feed them less than what’s required. I find like humans you need to get up n go. I try to bring mine everywhere I can. I work from home so it’s a bit easier. But yes, absolutely don’t allow them to do nothing all the time. Not good for them.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site.
https://bestpetfoodreview.com/best-dog-food/

I wouldn't get any of those. Try to stick with Acana Singles, Earthborne Holistic Venture line , or Zignature as they are all limited ingredient dog foods and most bullies have a lot of food allergies. Also try to stay away from chicken as that's the most likely protein for your dog to be allergic to. Chewy is a good site for mail order eg. this Earthborne Holistic duck formula. https://www.chewy.com/earthborn-holistic-venture-duck-meal/dp/162411

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site.
https://bestpetfoodreview.com/best-dog-food/

Errrrrrr.... NONE for sure on that’s link!!! Like [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] mentioned is the right path. Definitely start with one protein per bag like acana Duck. Once bag is finished, stick to the same brand different single protein. Rotation avoids allergies especially if you start them young.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.